• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few questions: How does current filson stand up against vp?

I want to buy a filson bag to compare but it seems like the models that receive praise are the older YKK models, do i just need to be vigilant on Ebay? what is expected pricing?

The tin cloth models are more sough after over twill? Can one expect 22oz or 34oz in future limited editions?

yes, this thread happily veers off topic from time to time. Today’s diversion appears to be old cars. I have happy memories of my fathers Olds Toronado in 1981. Doors the length of Florida, all bolted to a ridiculous 5.7l v8. Madness.

Filson vs VP : VP more boutique, hand made. Lovely materials. Filson - tough, proven designs and construction for the classic pieces, lifetime warranty. So it rather depends on your intended use.

older vs newer - it’s all excellent quality. Some here like the vintage stuff. But for all practical purposes the age / era doesn’t make a difference. Aesthetically there are pros and cons. Again - depends on intended use.
Price - depends on which bag. If you are new to Filson buy direct from @GzStudio or @TinMan3 who are part of this group, rather than gambling on eBay
Material - twill is favoured for durability over the standard weight tin cloth as it is denser and tends to patina more evenly without looking dirty. Tin cloth has surface wax that will have dirt stick to it.
Special edition / heavy tin : yes the heavy tin is bombproof. Someone here has one and likes it. I’m not sure they are still made new.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i ask a filson question but this turns into a car thread all of a sudden?

To be fair you asked the question after the conversation was already in progress. If you’ve been a lurker here sometime you will see that we pretty much discuss all things hard wearing here. Wallets, watches, boots, many brands of luggage, belts, and yes even old trucks. Last page we were discussing EDC knife preferences. Ain’t this a fun place?

Filson vs Vermilyea Pelle, a topic discussed several times before. We have a couple of members who have owned both. One in particular ( @M635Guy ) who had his custom built after selling his musty Talon Era #257 I believe. My personal take on VP is that they are the best imitation Filson bags on the market. However, at the end, that is exactly what they are, a Filson inspired brand, which would explain there resemblance to the 123+ year brand, and nearly 30 years of making Rugged Twill luggage. Personally I’d say go for a well preserved Talon Era #256 or #257 from @GzStudio or @TinMan3 .

Here’s my 25 year old (but incredibly preserved) #257

A7674CEA-52FC-4D0B-95EE-72F028B4E27D.jpeg

However these are great reads nonetheless

Here’s one of our own (forgot his name though)

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair you asked the question after the conversation was already in progress. If you’ve been a lurker here sometime you will see that we pretty much discuss all things hard wearing here. Wallets, watches, boots, many brands of luggage, belts, and yes even old trucks.

Filson vs Vermilyea Pelle, a topic discussed several times before. We have a couple of members who have owned both. One in particular ( @M635Guy ) who had his custom built after selling his musty Talon Era #257 I believe. My personal take on VP is that they are the best imitation Filson bags on the market. However, at the end, that is exactly what they are, a Filson inspired brand, which would explain there resemblance to the 123+ year brand, and nearly 30 years of making Rugged Twill luggage. Personally I’d say go for a well preserved Talon Era #256 or #257 from @GzStudio or @TinMan3 .

Here’s my 25 year old (but incredibly preserved) #257

View attachment 1420937

However these are great reads nonetheless

Here’s one of our own (forgot his name though)

I do have a gorgeous almost new tan Talon 257 I’ve been saving for a rainy day...

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Has anyone held the Workshop rugged twill and leather facemasks?
Dude! That was just cruel to tease like that. You had me going for half a second.

Although, now I can’t get Hannibal Lector’s mask out of my mind. Jeesh!

FWIW, Stormy Kromer has made masks so you all can get your plaid on, literally. They are expensive when including shipping, in my opinion. Still a nice idea for fans of the brand.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And on the "old" vs new car theme. Had a 1979 Jeep CJ7, was made of solid steel, and when it ran ok, was a great vehicle, would go through snow that would stop everything else. It had it's issues (poor heat, no AC, manual that sometimes wouldn't engage, electrical that would cut out (but only at night when one needed lights), leaked ****** fluid like a sieve, etc) but overall a damn good workhorse. One had to carry a tool kit, and some spare things like hoses and fluids, but wish I still had it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude! That was just cruel to tease like that. You had me going for half a second.

Although, now I can’t get Hannibal Lector’s mask out of my mind. Jeesh!

FWIW, Stormey Kromer has made masks so you all can get your plaid on, literally. They are expensive when including shipping, in my opinion. Still a nice idea for fans of the brand.

I’m not going to advocate companies not try and and turn a profit, but these “fashionable” masks (or muzzles as I like to call them) are just vomit inducing. Nothing like profiting off of a tragedy. It would be like The Titantic giftshop floating by on life rafts selling drowning victims blankets.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I’m not going to advocate companies not try and and turn a profit, but these “fashionable” masks (or muzzles as I like to call them) are just vomit inducing. Nothing like profiting off of a tragedy. It would be like The Titantic giftshop floating by on life rafts selling drowning victims blankets.

Well, sometimes and sometimes not. What I mean by that is there are costs associated with making masks. If you are a smaller manufacturer, the costs per piece will be higher. In the case of Stormy, they have the perfect signature fabrics to make masks for those that want that pattern. They are a small business that was likely shut down for months. I doubt their making them is any more opportunistic than it is equally socially responsible. The masks are both of those things and fun to boot.

I don’t fault their prices as much as it might have seemed in my first post. I only meant that once I added shipping onto the deal, I wasn’t a purchaser. I might have felt differently if my girlfriend wasn’t so capable at a sewing machine.

All that said, I see and agree with your points. There are clearly manufacturers doing what you outline in some shape or fashion. I just didn’t want my Stormy comments automatically besmirching their good name.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I've thought is would be cool to see a mask that looks like Bane from the Dark Knight

Cbfox

Reaction score
To be fair you asked the question after the conversation was already in progress. If you’ve been a lurker here sometime you will see that we pretty much discuss all things hard wearing here. Wallets, watches, boots, many brands of luggage, belts, and yes even old trucks. Last page we were discussing EDC knife preferences. Ain’t this a fun place?

I check in from time-to-time and don’t mind the diversions. Preferred EDC is a Chris Reeve Small Insingo. Watch a Stowa Antea KS. And I still have my first car - I bought it in 1989 (used, of course).
EFB5997C-856C-4810-A664-DAE11EC1E1A2.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Props to Filson for choosing a good bourbon for this recipe, albeit, not a readily available one. They could've just as easily went with standard Maker's Mark or Knob Creek Small Batch. Today you can either find Blanton's for high dollars (up to $99), a rare deal of $65, or nowhere to be found due to the distillery allocating it. I am falling out of love with Buffalo Trace by the day, much prefer Old Forester these days.

blantons.PNG

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I am letting go of my padded briefcase in the old heavy twill. I never really used it, maybe 4-5 times. There is one small stain on the bottom. Sorry to post this here, but the B&S is terrible for discussion and figured one of you might want it. Bought it at the flagship store in Seattle. Asking 275$+ shipping.
54F35743-2E5B-4336-9869-055266D2FF57.jpeg
B97E520B-8316-4857-9DB2-10FDA2734D34.jpeg

3823D1C2-764C-4C10-9075-A1FD7348A101.jpeg

B1A86180-FB1B-43B8-8CD0-B5C9BA4AA8CF.jpeg

C67C85FD-1F0A-4608-B692-F1F584DAB7F0.jpeg

small stain on the bottom
9D7B13B0-E025-4881-8BEF-8E652357FA82.jpeg

DM with inquiries.

-DL

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads