• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a brand new one that I hopefully will be able to order today! Didn't they also make a small duffle that matches this bag?

As an aspiring minimalist I really only need one briefcase, so the #257 is the perfect sweet spot. Big enough to really load down, but compact enough to be used as an EDC. The #258 is a whole different story, and one I have some experience with as my very first Filson. That bag is more like a piece of luggage, rather then a briefcase. I've never really been able to imagine it's sweet spot, as it's also too small to be used as a one bag carry option in most cases.

As far as I know Filson and Harris Tweed only produced two mainstay luggage items and the rest were more towards the accessory line. Other then the Original #256, they also collaborated with this:

harris.jpg

seven20

Reaction score
As an aspiring minimalist I really only need one briefcase, so the #257 is the perfect sweet spot. Big enough to really load down, but compact enough to be used as an EDC. The #258 is a whole different story, and one I have some experience with as my very first Filson. That bag is more like a piece of luggage, rather then a briefcase. I've never really been able to imagine it's sweet spot, as it's also too small to be used as a one bag carry option in most cases.

As far as I know Filson and Harris Tweed only produced two mainstay luggage items and the rest were more towards the accessory line. Other then the Original #256, they also collaborated with this:

View attachment 1420167

Ah, yeah that seems like a failed product all around.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with Filson but still an incredible restoration project with amazing camera angles, sound effects and excellent skilled craftsmanship. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Anybody a Zippo fan? I own three. My best friend bought me my first while he was stationed in Afghanistan back in 2008, I still have it. I also own a solid brass pipe lighter zippo. They are timeless American built tools.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with Filson but still an incredible restoration project with amazing camera angles, sound effects and excellent skilled craftsmanship. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Anybody a Zippo fan? I own three. My best friend bought me my first while he was stationed in Afghanistan back in 2008, I still have it. I also own a solid brass pipe lighter zippo. They are timeless American built tools.

Whenever I think of Zippo lighters, I think of the joke my nephew has said for years:

Q: "What is the difference between a Hippo and a Zippo?"

A: "The Hippo is really heavy and the Zippo is a little lighter"

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@speedy611 thought about you and your Land Rover when I watched this. You must feel similarly to this.

Stratkat

Reaction score
@speedy611 thought about you and your Land Rover when I watched this. You must feel similarly to this.

I admire his wide eyed love for old vehicles. But in reality appreciate new stuff. I recall the 46 revolutions of the steering wheel to negotiate corners, the bias ply tires, drum brakes, numb wallowing suspension, body roll, coolant, fuel, oil leaks, rotted rubber, ratting windows, spung seats, lack of safety features... I could go on. We still stop and walk car shows. I truly admire the timeless designs, appreciate the restoration work, then get into my modern vehicle and drive off in comfort.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admire his wide eyed love for old vehicles. But in reality appreciate new stuff. I recall the 46 revolutions of the steering wheel to negotiate corners, the bias ply tires, drum brakes, numb wallowing suspension, body roll, coolant, fuel, oil leaks, rotted rubber, ratting windows, spung seats, lack of safety features... I could go on. We still stop and walk car shows. I truly admire the timeless designs, appreciate the restoration work, then get into my modern vehicle and drive off in comfort.
Agreed. Which is why I am a huge fan of resto mods. Keep the classic look, some upgraded hardware underneath. Good compromise.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Which is why I am a huge fan of resto mods. Keep the classic look, some upgraded hardware underneath. Good compromise.

I’m not so sure the point of the video (or why I shared it) was to advocate using these machines as daily drivers. I know first hand what living with one is like, with the 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS. It’s no picnic not having a power steering rack, ABS, a good working A/C system, and safety features like airbags. However there’s a time and a place for it, and there is no better feeling then total driver engagement. Something like having the distraction of comfort and modern amenities only stands to impede the experience. At least that’s the way I feel.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not so sure the point of the video (or why I shared it) was to advocate using these machines as daily drivers. I know first hand what living with one is like, with the 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS. It’s no picnic not having a power steering rack, ABS, a good working A/C system, and safety features like airbags. However there’s a time and a place for it, and there is no better feeling then total driver engagement. Something like having the distraction of comfort and modern amenities only stands to impede the experience. At least that’s the way I feel.
Thanks for the link Otter. I certainly identify with the enjoyment of older, slower, more involving. I smiled as his truck started on the first go, had ever-so-shiny paint and an interior that wasn’t so rusted out that it was a carbon monoxide death zone!
Time and place is right. Modern cars are damn capable appliances and when you are doing a million other things, the old trucks can be a pain as they require you to actually really pay attention. But, top off summer evenings on a quiet lane? Definitely!

51BE2C38-BFA3-4DA7-A8AF-1E1490DB9705.jpeg

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
A few questions: How does current filson stand up against vp?

I want to buy a filson bag to compare but it seems like the models that receive praise are the older YKK models, do i just need to be vigilant on Ebay? what is expected pricing?

The tin cloth models are more sough after over twill? Can one expect 22oz or 34oz in future limited editions?

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did I mention daily driving? I like power steering and disc brakes and not having a leaf spring suspension whether I am crusin' to the car show, taking a day drive, or using a daily. It's better, safer, more enjoyable tech at the end of the day that can live under the skin of a vintage beauty. I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but its a nice way to have the best of both worlds.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did I mention daily driving? I like power steering and disc brakes and not having a leaf spring suspension whether I am crusin' to the car show, taking a day drive, or using a daily. It's better, safer, more enjoyable tech at the end of the day that can live under the skin of a vintage beauty. I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but its a nice way to have the best of both worlds.

You didn’t mention it but I was just putting it out there as a disclaimer as I could tell that’s where it was heading towards. I’m sure the guy also owns a modern, more reliable vehicle in addition, maybe a modern F150. Even though like most modern day American cars, quality is NOWHERE near what it use to be, especially in the golden age of American cars. You can thank planned obsolescence and greedy corporations for that. We still have many vehicles made outside of our borders, which is just sad considering our lineage of innovation and industriousness.

Stratkat

Reaction score
You didn’t mention it but I was just putting it out there as a disclaimer as I could tell that’s where it was heading towards. I’m sure the guy also owns a modern, more reliable vehicle in addition, maybe a modern F150. Even though like most modern day American cars, quality is NOWHERE near what it use to be, especially in the golden age of American cars. You can thank planned obsolescence and greedy corporations for that. We still have many vehicles made outside of our borders, which is just sad considering our lineage of innovation and industriousness.
Yeah but that quality came at a cost. That heavy gauge metal, wouldn’t crush, it would transmit the energy to the occupants, the steering columns had a nasty tendency to drive right into the drivers chest (lost a good friend that way), engines would come right through the firewall.
Today’s engines will go 10k miles on an oil change, 300k is not abnormal for an engine with little Maintenence. But the older cars were beautiful I’ll give you that.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah but that quality came at a cost. That heavy gauge metal, wouldn’t crush, it would transmit the energy to the occupants, the steering columns had a nasty tendency to drive right into the drivers chest (lost a good friend that way), engines would come right through the firewall.
Today’s engines will go 10k miles on an oil change, 300k is not abnormal for an engine with little Maintenence. But the older cars were beautiful I’ll give you that.

Sorry to hear about your friend, lost a close friend as well to bad car design.

I usually use the bumper debate when comparing old VS new. The American cars/trucks of old once used solid steel front and rear bumpers, so if one encountered a mild fender bender, there would be little damage to either party.

1979 Chevy Monte Carlo (as depicted in the film “Training Day”). Note the sturdy bumpers.

77834F38-9497-4D63-89C3-8A15C071BCC7.jpeg

2006 Chevy Monte Carlo with the most common form of bumpers seen today. Molded plastic encasing styrofoam. Parts today cost much more money, need replacing more often, and look (IMO) terrible. They don’t rust, so there’s always that.

25D9F1B3-F9E5-49D8-B58D-628C3266333B.jpeg

Last edited:

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
So i ask a filson question but this turns into a car thread all of a sudden?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads