• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mattand27

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen and @Davey13 thnaks again for getting me down the knife rabbit hole again. Mini Brass Bugout just landed and trying hard not to pull the trigger on a Protech and Sebenza....you guys are swell.

Brass Bugout is amazing though. But not digging this axis lock.

I'm new to this forum, but a lifelong knife guy. If I may ask, what do you not like about the Axis lock? I know it's not for everyone, just wondering what your thoughts are.

Best,
Matthew

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but a lifelong knife guy. If I may ask, what do you not like about the Axis lock? I know it's not for everyone, just wondering what your thoughts are.

Best,
Matthew
I find it clunky and not smooth. I know it's intended to be ambidextrous but I feel like i need to get it from both ends at the same time to get it to operate correctly and completely, meaning an awkward grip change.

I certainly wouldn't want it to not sit flush, but I guess I have fat thumbs that struggle to feel like they get a good purchase on the stud to actuate the lock.

Edit: Gritty is the word I was looking for. Axis action is very gritty.

Last edited:

mattand27

Reaction score
I find it clunky and not smooth. I know it's intended to be ambidextrous but I feel like i need to get it from both ends at the same time to get it to operate correctly and completely, meaning an awkward grip change.

I certainly wouldn't want it to not sit flush, but I guess I have fat thumbs that struggle to feel like they get a good purchase on the stud to actuate the lock.
Practice will help with operating smoothness. I find the Axis lock to be one of the easiest to operate once you get the hang of it. Like with most locking systems it takes some time to get used to. With my Axis lock knives I rarely even use the thumbstud anymore when opening.

Here's a picture of my Mini Bugout with Rockscale titanium scales. Great little knife.
49859248061_acef9e3503_c.jpg

Last edited:

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Practice will help with operating smoothness. I find the Axis lock to be one of the easiest to operate once you get the hang of it. Like with most locking systems it takes some time to get used to. With my Axis lock knives I rarely even use the thumbstud anymore when opening.

Here's a picture of my Mini Bugout with Rockscale titanium scales. Great little knife.
49859248061_acef9e3503_c.jpg
I like it. Thought about buying one with titanium scales and anodizing. Had enough trouble deciding between Brass and Copper. Probably will still pick up some Copper scales.

Here is my new brassy boy
A1025812-5C7F-470C-8022-4AA774563507.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish filson would do another run with Harris. I hate that I missed out on this bag as it was before my filson days.

View attachment 1419310

This one is kind of pricey for what it is, but if you want I can keep an eye out for you, if you're really interested in obtaining one?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. Thought about buying one with titanium scales and anodizing. Had enough trouble deciding between Brass and Copper. Probably will still pick up some Copper scales.

Here is my new brassy boy
View attachment 1419295

Nice looking Bug Out. Almost all of my components arrived, still waiting on some Linen Micarta Scales and a Wiha Torx set. I'm also waiting on another item, but if I reveal it then it would be a dead giveaway for what knife I am customizing. It's a "no holds barred" type of build, so cost didn't play a factor in any of my choices, only availability.

seven20

Reaction score
This one is kind of pricey for what it is, but if you want I can keep an eye out for you, if you're really interested in obtaining one?

If you see one in good shape that’s reasonable I’m game. I was thinking of using the 24 hour I have in tan but I’m going to sell it and look for this bag. I just like the twill better than the tin cloth personally and love my 257 - there are just days I don’t need quite so much bag.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen and @Davey13 thnaks again for getting me down the knife rabbit hole again. Mini Brass Bugout just landed and trying hard not to pull the trigger on a Protech and Sebenza....you guys are swell.

Brass Bugout is amazing though. But not digging this axis lock.
For shame! The axis lock on my benchmade took a little getting used to but now it is second nature. Might as well be a switch blade.

Really I kid, I know everyone has different preferences but I love mine.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shame! The axis lock on my benchmade took a little getting used to but now it is second nature. Might as well be a switch blade.

Really I kid, I know everyone has different preferences but I love mine.
Man I'm just accepting that I am old and stuck in my ways. Frame locks are simple and work every time. Just flicked this thing open hard and the lock was totally stuck. Took a lot of force to disengage it. I think this has a date with a lube job.

seven20

Reaction score

I found a brand new one that I hopefully will be able to order today! Didn't they also make a small duffle that matches this bag?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I'm just accepting that I am old and stuck in my ways. Frame locks are simple and work every time. Just flicked this thing open hard and the lock was totally stuck. Took a lot of force to disengage it. I think this has a date with a lube job.

I’m usually a Lockback only fan, as they offer some of the most confident lock strength, but this new knife has me exploring new roads. Again if I reveal the type of lock it’s a dead giveaway with the knife I chose for my build.

Interesting test on the various lock types:

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m usually a Lockback only fan, as they offer some of the most confident lock strength, but this new knife has me exploring new roads. Again if I reveal the type of lock it’s a dead giveaway with the knife I chose for my build.

Interesting test on the various lock types:
Why are BladeHQ videos so painful to watch? Every time I think I have learned my lesson....nope.

Interesting concept but I don't know that I truly care. If I am putting 200lbs+ on my knife and lock, I have bigger issues. Scientifically interesting. Practically, I dont know how much it matters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads