• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My apologies if this was the only word I focused on in your response. Always nice to see a fellow Cigar aficionado. Besides myself we do have at least a couple here in the cigar community. @mgrennier and @DuckMan_11 come to mind.

Speaking of cigars, I wanted to share my new dresser valet. You won’t see one like it, but I’m far from the first to repurpose a cigar box for that task. I was all set to buy a really nice Harness Leather tray from Filson during their latest sale, price was certainly right. However after a long showdown with the shopping cart, I backed off. I wanted something more unique to me and something I could close and put my phone on top.

Once my new EDC knife arrives it’s going in it as well. Can’t wait to share that, I’m doing a custom build that I’ve spent days worth of time constructing, it’s going to be sick!!! Thanks everyone for your help with that earlier.

193391C3-16EB-4806-A35B-A5AEC0253F37.jpeg

Rocky Patel is one of my favorite makers. I got this box for $10 at one of my old shops. It features a gloss finish and a velvet lined interior

47800C9A-8AAF-4763-8B59-93BCA6709E8F.jpeg

singjai

Reaction score
No apologies needed. Here it is again. Somethings cannot be unseen, and there has been several testimonials of side-by-side comparisons of the rugged twill feeling thinner. One could of course make the argument that this was a marketing oversight, however I disagree as anyone who has studied or worked in marketing knows that these types of advertisements are reviewed by more than one person. 18oz is certainly not 22oz, it’s a marginal difference not one to get heated about, but also one not to deny. Having a hard time believing it still....why did Filson whitewash the 22oz Rugged Twill claim from practically (if not entirely) from their website and advertising? There are certainly a lot of questions, but definitive answers are hard to come by.

View attachment 1416505
Yeah, definitely wasn't apologizing. Just giving my response to the pseudo method of measuring weight/density based on measuring the width of something, especially after being called out for answering a simple question haha. But to your point, I think we all agree it's a pointless debate and something to not get heated over.

Stratkat

Reaction score
No apologies needed. Here it is again. Somethings cannot be unseen, and there has been several testimonials of side-by-side comparisons of the rugged twill feeling thinner. One could of course make the argument that this was a marketing oversight, however I disagree as anyone who has studied or worked in marketing knows that these types of advertisements are reviewed by more than one person. 18oz is certainly not 22oz, it’s a marginal difference not one to get heated about, but also one not to deny. Having a hard time believing it still....why did Filson whitewash the 22oz Rugged Twill claim from practically (if not entirely) from their website and advertising? There are certainly a lot of questions, but definitive answers are hard to come by.

View attachment 1416505
Otter, I’m telling you there is no difference in the ‘feel’ of the weight, even with the fingers. And the calipers don’t lie. Try it yourself. Take your own gear into a store and compare.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I considered the green dialed version because of the lumed numerals, but I've really got a thing for white dialed watches.

I also thought about snagging one of those Snap Wallets; what great deal.
Yes, it was that earlier sale this year. I have a thing for black faced watches myself.

Stratkat

Reaction score
My apologies if this was the only word I focused on in your response. Always nice to see a fellow Cigar aficionado. Besides myself we do have at least a couple here in the cigar community. @mgrennier and @DuckMan_11 come to mind.

Speaking of cigars, I wanted to share my new dresser valet. You won’t see one like it, but I’m far from the first to repurpose a cigar box for that task. I was all set to buy a really nice Harness Leather tray from Filson during their latest sale, price was certainly right. However after a long showdown with the shopping cart, I backed off. I wanted something more unique to me and something I could close and put my phone on top.

Once my new EDC knife arrives it’s going in it as well. Can’t wait to share that, I’m doing a custom build that I’ve spent days worth of time constructing, it’s going to be sick!!! Thanks everyone for your help with that earlier.

View attachment 1416550

Rocky Patel is one of my favorite makers. I got this box for $10 at one of my old shops. It features a gloss finish and a velvet lined interior

View attachment 1416551
Who is the knife maker?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otter, I’m telling you there is no difference in the ‘feel’ of the weight, even with the fingers. And the calipers don’t lie. Try it yourself. Take your own gear into a store and compare.

Well they sure felt a difference. Not so surprising you chose to quote me here, however I’ll spare everyone from having this debate again.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No so much a debate as it is tested right?

In case you missed it, yes it is. These aren’t even my words, but Filson’s own:

35029056-6C11-4C0E-8AF8-FC5D0AFE54BF.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to the watch topic for a minute, there seems to be a plethora of micro brand divers out there right now, it’s like the year of the dive watch!

What do you make of my measurements then?

An interesting anomaly based upon two bags outside of Filson’s purview. Again it’s a minuscule ounce weight difference hardly worth debating over. However it’s awfully timely that large print catalog post came out right around when Filson 86ed the 25 year old 22oz claim weight from their products to the now (almost unintelligible) claim of "100% Cotton Rugged Twill with 2 ply and 3 ply yarns”

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m currently watching an inspiring documentary on Minimalism and this popped right in view in front of the New York Stock Exchange. Looks like the Filson X Harris Tweed #256.

Excellent documentary, recommend for anyone looking to downsize their life. I realize this isn’t exactly preaching to the choir with our ever-growing Filson collections but still it’s worth watching. I’m currently going through all my stuff this month (making use of the time), and seeing what I can part with. So far I’ve filled up 4 bags worth.

31BE70CF-68A4-4661-9330-FDECBD71765D.jpeg

(Edit) And then there was a 2nd, this one caught me off guard. Its without question a 24HR, carried by one of the centralized stars. He’s traveling on a 10 month long speaking tour with only two smaller medium size shoulder carry bags

8B7C4F78-2826-4591-BC6F-3E77E703E2E9.jpeg

Last edited:

mattand27

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this! Your attention to detail is phenomenal and I think this goes to show that Filson (or Shinola’s) design team also pay close attention to the small things. Yes, these were designed entirely by Shinola, just produced in Japan. But this goes to show that this isn’t a $60 watch that Filson is trying to sell for $400. It’s a $250 watch that Filson is trying to sell for $400 ?. It’s a good value at the sale prices they are going for if a Filson watch is on your list and you proved it (to me anyways!). I always though the shinola watches were very well thought out as well. Good to see they didn’t stray too far with the new series. Wonder if after this round of watches if Filson will continue to dabble in the watch game.
Thank you very much. It's easy to photograph and write about a product with so many interesting little details. This is definitely a watch with decent value and thoughtful design. I do hope Filson continues to offer more watches in the future, especially if they offer them in a wide range of sizes to fit different wrists.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonder if Filson is discontinuing their Cinder offerings. At least 50% off currently and 6 luggage items are listed

Filson sale.PNG

seven20

Reaction score
I haven’t seen the cinder online in a while so I would think so. I don’t mind the cinder, but I’m not a fan of black leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics