• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Nice comparison and input. Can definitely tell the difference between the sets of leather used for the straps vs handles. As the bag ages over the years, you'll be able to see more subtle differences between all pieces of leather that was used to construct the bag that aren't showing now.

My 257 is a good example:
View attachment 1415955

Also, your bag was made at the end of 2016. Maybe someone else in the forums could shine a little light on when Filson decided to change up some of their materials (i.e. switch from 22 oz twill to the rugged twill they use now, etc.)

I do have a made in 2019 48 hour and I gotta admit the leather does feel kinda off compared to my fairly new 2014 duffle (for fair comparisons sake). I don't really care enough to get rid of it and don't think it really effects the structural integrity of the bag... plus I like the style lol.
really, you guys kill me. here again are measurements taken at the same location on both a talon era outfitter, and a brand new sportsman (the blocks give the calipers clearance to clear the double seam of the pocket, and spread the measurement over a larger surface area to avoid crushing the material and giving false readings).

fullsizeoutput_213f.jpeg
cJmfsh5LQSelYmP+u5GVDQ.jpg
fullsizeoutput_2145.jpeg

singjai

Reaction score
really, you guys kill me. here again are measurements taken at the same location on both a talon era outfitter, and a brand new sportsman (the blocks give the calipers clearance to clear the double seam of the pocket, and spread the measurement over a larger surface area to avoid crushing the material and giving false readings).

View attachment 1416239 View attachment 1416240 View attachment 1416241

Lol dude you gotta relax. I'm not hating on the new stuff here and still buying and recommending it if you saw my earlier posts. I'm just answering Matt's questions.

But hey, if those measurements do precisely measure the weight of the twill based on thickness, then guess you're right. I have no background or knowledge on fabric/textiles so my only argument with the method is that the talon era piece could be more tightly woven and therefore being heavier. Also, here's something I found on the thread posted several years back..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indicative of absolutely nothing, my 256 I bought on a visit to the mothership in Seattle last September has a manufacture code indicating it was made in February 2017. It was new with all tags and (I think) the only tan 256 they had in the store that day.

Who knows, maybe I bought a 2.5 year old display model with new stock being shipped out to other stores or internet buyers.

I have not measured it with a Hewlett Packard 57 Ten Eighty dual-column gas chromatograph with flame analysation detectors but it does seem to meet my purposes well.

mattand27

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my previous post I recently purchased one of the Filson field watches during the Summer Sale and thought I’d provide a short review with some pictures.

I bought the 36mm size as I have rather small wrists (6.5”) and non-diver watches over 38mm tend to look a little weird on my wrist. I was glad to see Filson offered these watches in a smaller size.

The sale price of $99 seemed to bring it into the value range for a watch with a Swiss quartz movement, sapphire crystal and 100m water resistance. After getting the watch in hand I would almost say it might still be a decent value at $150-$175 (but probably not at the retail price of $350). It looks like these watches sold out pretty quickly at these prices and I am very happy I got one.

50065776146_c6d50e6c87_c.jpg

Case
The fit and finish of the satin brushed case is very well done and is definitely on par with my Hamilton Khaki Auto in most respects. All surfaces are satin and the case sides are vertically brushed which is a nice departure from the typical horizontal brushing.

The mid case is flat in profile but there are cutouts on the top edges at 3 and 9 to allow for the overhang of the bezel - a nice little detail. There is also a cutout in the bezel to show off the copper collar on the oversized crown.

50065220683_3a556bd5a3_c.jpg

Another nice detail of the case is “C.C. FILSON CO.” engraved around the rehaut, something usually only seen on Rolex watches.

50065775791_88d43c9f2c_c.jpg

Crown
The oversized crown is chunky, easily gripped and threads smoothly. There is a copper collar between the crown and case and an accent on the end, both of which appear to be genuine copper, but may very well be anodized that color. Around the copper accent on the end it is signed “C.C. FILSON CO. / SINCE 1897” reminiscent of a cartridge casing, another nice touch for an outdoor inspired timepiece.

50065220768_e24b641564_c.jpg

Dial and Hands
At first glance the dial appears to be plain white with black numerals and markers, but upon closer inspection there is a lot more going on. The black numerals and batons at the 5’s are applied. What’s more interesting is the rest of the minute markers and the Filson logo are embossed and painted black giving the dial a three dimensional quality. The surface of the dial is not just a flat white, but has a texture like that of fine paper.

One design choice that I don’t agree with are the silver hands. While they are nicely brushed to match the case finish, they are not very legible against the white dial. I would have preferred something darker like gray or black. The hands are filled with luminous material, but there is none on the dial.

50066034802_48f56a1b03_c.jpg

Crystal and Caseback
The sapphire crystal is single-domed which creates some optical distortion at acute viewing angles. While this does give it a vintage feel I would rather have a double-domed crystal for clear viewing at any angle. There does appear to be a hint of blue anti-reflective coating which is a nice feature.

Instead of a screw-down caseback they used four screws to secure the back in place. It is engraved with the Filson logo and other pertinent information about water resistance and case material.

50066034552_78c9de769b_c.jpg

Conclusion
Overall it seems like a durable and well-built watch that wears comfortably on my wrist. That being said I don’t think I would pay the full retail price for it, but I believe it would still be a good value at even 50% above the sale price.

I decided not to discuss the movement or the strap in this review as there is not much to say about either. The movement is a reliable, Swiss-made Ronda quartz and the strap is pretty flimsy and made in China.

One final note – as most of you know Filson’s sister company, Shinola, produced their previous watch offerings and I was curious about who manufactured this watch as there is no Shinola branding on the watch or in the marketing. Removing the case back reveals a logo for the Bedrock Watch Co. So I guess at its heart it is still a Shinola Watch.

50066034467_d3e2a42ec0_c.jpg

And a wrist shot for good measure (the strap is a Worn & Wound Model 2 Classic in Wheat).
50066466187_6f9c04bae7_c.jpg

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Matthew

Last edited:

mattand27

Reaction score
And here are some of my recent Filson related purchases.

I did not buy the knife from Filson, but it is one they currently carry.

50066404846_0dcc676eb5_c.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my previous post I recently purchased one of the Filson field watches during the Summer Sale and thought I’d provide a short review with some pictures.

I bought the 36mm size as I have rather small wrists (6.5”) and non-diver watches over 38mm tend to look a little weird on my wrist. I was glad to see Filson offered these watches in a smaller size.

The sale price of $99 seemed to bring it into the value range for a watch with a Swiss quartz movement, sapphire crystal and 100m water resistance. After getting the watch in hand I would almost say it might still be a decent value at $150-$175 (but probably not at the retail price of $350). It looks like these watches sold out pretty quickly at these prices and I am very happy I got one.

Case
The fit and finish of the satin brushed case is very well done and is definitely on par with my Hamilton Khaki Auto in most respects. All surfaces are satin and the case sides are vertically brushed which is a nice departure from the typical horizontal brushing.

The mid case is flat in profile but there are cutouts on the top edges at 3 and 9 to allow for the overhang of the bezel - a nice little detail. There is also a cutout in the bezel to show off the copper collar on the oversized crown.

Another nice detail of the case is “C.C. FILSON CO.” engraved around the rehaut, something usually only seen on Rolex watches.

Crown
The oversized crown is chunky, easily gripped and threads smoothly. There is a copper collar between the crown and case and an accent on the end, both of which appear to be genuine copper, but may very well be anodized that color. Around the copper accent on the end it is signed “C.C. FILSON CO. / SINCE 1897” reminiscent of a cartridge casing, another nice touch for an outdoor inspired timepiece.

Dial and Hands
At first glance the dial appears to be plain white with black numerals and markers, but upon closer inspection there is a lot more going on. The black numerals and batons at the 5’s are applied. What’s more interesting is the rest of the minute markers and the Filson logo are embossed and painted black giving the dial a three dimensional quality. The surface of the dial is not just a flat white, but has a texture like that of fine paper.

One design choice that I don’t agree with are the silver hands. While they are nicely brushed to match the case finish, they are not very legible against the white dial. I would have preferred something darker like gray or black. The hands are filled with luminous material, but there is none on the dial.

Crystal and Caseback
The sapphire crystal is single-domed which creates some optical distortion at acute viewing angles. While this does give it a vintage feel I would rather have a double-domed crystal for clear viewing at any angle. There does appear to be a hint of blue anti-reflective coating which is a nice feature.

Instead of a screw-down caseback they used four screws to secure the back in place. It is engraved with the Filson logo and other pertinent information about water resistance and case material.

Conclusion
Overall it seems like a durable and well-built watch that wears comfortably on my wrist. That being said I don’t think I would pay the full retail price for it, but I believe it would still be a good value at even 50% above the sale price.

I decided not to discuss the movement or the strap in this review as there is not much to say about either. The movement is a reliable, Swiss-made Ronda quartz and the strap is pretty flimsy and made in China.

One final note – as most of you know Filson’s sister company, Shinola, produced their previous watch offerings and I was curious about who manufactured this watch as there is no Shinola branding on the watch or in the marketing. Removing the case back reveals a logo for the Bedrock Watch Co.

And a wrist shot for good measure (the strap is a Worn & Wound Model 2 Classic in Wheat).

Best,
Matthew
Well, Bedrock owns Shinola as well as Filson, so I would bet it's really a Shinola.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking as well.
I have one Shinola watch, that I bought at a discount place, Nordstrom rack?, in Phoenix a year or so ago, not a bad watch for the $85 I paid for it. Battery easily replaced, and I do prefer Automatics, so don't wear it that often, but an OK watch.
I would have snagged one of the Filson branded watches as I like the look, and the Filson badging.

Stratkat

Reaction score
And here are some of my recent Filson related purchases.

I did not buy the knife from Filson, but it is one they currently carry.

50066404846_0dcc676eb5_c.jpg
I also grabbed the 36mm. It’s a really nice watch , I like it a lot. Was wearing it today in fact.
766998E5-5820-4DF0-991B-E35138328716.jpeg

Stratkat

Reaction score
The numerals, indices, and hands, are all lumed on the green faced version.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Case

Crown

Dial and Hands

Crystal and Caseback

Conclusion

One final note – as most of you know Filson’s sister company, Shinola, produced their previous watch offerings and I was curious about who manufactured this watch as there is no Shinola branding on the watch or in the marketing. Removing the case back reveals a logo for the Bedrock Watch Co.

Best,
Matthew
Thank you so much for this! Your attention to detail is phenomenal and I think this goes to show that Filson (or Shinola’s) design team also pay close attention to the small things. Yes, these were designed entirely by Shinola, just produced in Japan. But this goes to show that this isn’t a $60 watch that Filson is trying to sell for $400. It’s a $250 watch that Filson is trying to sell for $400 ?. It’s a good value at the sale prices they are going for if a Filson watch is on your list and you proved it (to me anyways!). I always though the shinola watches were very well thought out as well. Good to see they didn’t stray too far with the new series. Wonder if after this round of watches if Filson will continue to dabble in the watch game.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol dude you gotta relax. I'm not hating on the new stuff here and still buying and recommending it if you saw my earlier posts. I'm just answering Matt's questions.

But hey, if those measurements do precisely measure the weight of the twill based on thickness, then guess you're right. I have no background or knowledge on fabric/textiles so my only argument with the method is that the talon era piece could be more tightly woven and therefore being heavier. Also, here's something I found on the thread posted several years back..

No apologies needed. Here it is again. Somethings cannot be unseen, and there has been several testimonials of side-by-side comparisons of the rugged twill feeling thinner. One could of course make the argument that this was a marketing oversight, however I disagree as anyone who has studied or worked in marketing knows that these types of advertisements are reviewed by more than one person. 18oz is certainly not 22oz, it’s a marginal difference not one to get heated about, but also one not to deny. Having a hard time believing it still....why did Filson whitewash the 22oz Rugged Twill claim from practically (if not entirely) from their website and advertising? There are certainly a lot of questions, but definitive answers are hard to come by.

6FE81B7D-0941-4EBA-9116-187FF77937B1.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Case

Crown

Dial and Hands

Crystal and Caseback

Conclusion

Best,
Matthew

You have an exceptional review style that I find captivating. Your pictures also rock...hard :fonz:

and I'm not just saying this because your name is also Matthew

mattand27

Reaction score
I also grabbed the 36mm. It’s a really nice watch , I like it a lot. Was wearing it today in fact.
I considered the green dialed version because of the lumed numerals, but I've really got a thing for white dialed watches.

I also thought about snagging one of those Snap Wallets; what great deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads