• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah! A 24hr could work, and I have a tan one that isn’t in use I was considering selling. This would be a great since its thinner than the small duffle. It may even fit under the seat. Can you really fit a lot in one?

I have a brown small duffle also that I need a use for but it’s probably just going to be a family ‘use where needed’ bag.
One can fit a ton of stuff in a 24 hr bag (well maybe not 2000 lbs) but a LOT of stuff. It would easily hold jumper cables/first aid kit/some tools/flares/zip ties/tape (stuff I carry in my car)

singjai

Reaction score
I have two of them, use one as the dog walking bag, to carry water for me and dog/ bags to pick up poop from neighbors yards, some dog treats and clicker, stuff like that. The other is my "fishing" bag, small plastic containers with some lures/leaders/hooks, it has room for a couple of tools, like pliers and knife. The smaller size and oval opening limit the size of things that can be carried, but they suit my purpose(s)
Very helpful! That actually did cross my mind on using it for fishing. Currently using a plastic compartment box that does the trick so we'll see.. It would actually make the perfect mountain/road bike bag now that I think of it lol. I haven't been back on a mountain back for years but this might be a good excuse to start up again.. Thanks for the input~!

mattand27

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Rugged Twill Ranger Backpack - the one with fabric closure straps, not leather?

I am looking for a back pack for short day hikes or family outings and this one is on sale at Filson right now.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very helpful! That actually did cross my mind on using it for fishing. Currently using a plastic compartment box that does the trick so we'll see.. It would actually make the perfect mountain/road bike bag now that I think of it lol. I haven't been back on a mountain back for years but this might be a good excuse to start up again.. Thanks for the input~!
Like this? (Not my pic)

FFA1472F-7E06-4E6C-B963-7547505BBC85.jpeg

seven20

Reaction score
One can fit a ton of stuff in a 24 hr bag (well maybe not 2000 lbs) but a LOT of stuff. It would easily hold jumper cables/first aid kit/some tools/flares/zip ties/tape (stuff I carry in my car)
I have packed the 24 with a few items, and I think it’s going to be the key. Thanks for the lead on this one. Also, it’s nice to use a bag I already have

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have packed the 24 with a few items, and I think it’s going to be the key. Thanks for the lead on this one. Also, it’s nice to use a bag I already have
I use one of my 24hr bags as a "pool bag" to go to my son's house (pool in back yard) can put all the drinks I want to take, towel, Huggies, cigars, flip-flops, towel, plus anything else I need. It's a great bag. I have another one that is my go to work "briefcase", but I'm not going to work at the moment, so it sits there, just waiting.....

mattand27

Reaction score
I thought I would try to do my part as a new member here and post some pictures. I recently bought a 256 Original Briefcase from one of the discount sellers on eBay.

I own several pieces of Filson clothing, but this is my first bag. Having read through a good section of this thread I know there is an ongoing discussion about the quality of the leather over the years.

I am quite happy with the leather on this particular bag. It was not dry or stiff feeling when I got it although I did apply some Obenauf's LP.

The backside of the shoulder strap is smoother than the hand strap and creases/wrinkles less when bent the opposite way. In the pictures below the hand strap is on the left and the shoulder strap is on the right.

I would love to hear your thoughts/comments.

Best,
Matthew

Front Side of Straps
50062284827_a1f437d013_c.jpg

Back Side of Straps
50062284822_5d19b5d5e1_c.jpg

Reverse Bend
50062034871_e7180312f8_c.jpg

Build Tag
50061492688_74a169cbac_c.jpg

singjai

Reaction score
I thought I would try to do my part as a new member here and post some pictures. I recently bought a 256 Original Briefcase from one of the discount sellers on eBay.

I own several pieces of Filson clothing, but this is my first bag. Having read through a good section of this thread I know there is an ongoing discussion about the quality of the leather over the years.

I am quite happy with the leather on this particular bag. It was not dry or stiff feeling when I got it although I did apply some Obenauf's LP.

The backside of the shoulder strap is smoother than the hand strap and creases/wrinkles less when bent the opposite way. In the pictures below the hand strap is on the left and the shoulder strap is on the right.

Best,
Matthew

Front Side of Straps

Back Side of Straps

Reverse Bend

Build Tag
Nice comparison and input. Can definitely tell the difference between the sets of leather used for the straps vs handles. As the bag ages over the years, you'll be able to see more subtle differences between all pieces of leather that was used to construct the bag that aren't showing now.

My 257 is a good example:
IMG_6231.jpeg

Also, your bag was made at the end of 2016. Maybe someone else in the forums could shine a little light on when Filson decided to change up some of their materials (i.e. switch from 22 oz twill to the rugged twill they use now, etc.)

I do have a made in 2019 48 hour and I gotta admit the leather does feel kinda off compared to my fairly new 2014 duffle (for fair comparisons sake). I don't really care enough to get rid of it and don't think it really effects the structural integrity of the bag... plus I like the style lol.

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best,
Matthew

Front Side of Straps

Back Side of Straps

Reverse Bend

Build Tag
Welcome! Thanks for the photos, looks like good leather and the conditioning will keep it supple.
Although the thread title says “bags” we pretty much veered off just bags a long time ago, as perhaps you’ve seen. So feel free to share your clothing too. And at the risk of causing trouble, what’s next on your list...?!

mattand27

Reaction score
Welcome! Thanks for the photos, looks like good leather and the conditioning will keep it supple.
Although the thread title says “bags” we pretty much veered off just bags a long time ago, as perhaps you’ve seen. So feel free to share your clothing too. And at the risk of causing trouble, what’s next on your list...?!

I’m glad you asked. Today I received a Filson field watch that was on sale and one of their bandanas. I'll post pictures in the next day or two.

I am also considering a belt and maybe a wallet.

seven20

Reaction score
I’m glad you asked. Today I received a Filson field watch that was on sale and one of their bandanas. I'll post pictures in the next day or two.

I am also considering a belt and maybe a wallet.
Have a tri fold wallet my wife got me about 4 years ago and just got a a tan belt. Love both items

Reaction score
As a birthday present to myself I was planning on buying my first ever Filson Bag, a 256 Original Briefcase. I had wanted the Root Color but it was sold out the week before Father’s Day and I decided to wait to get the one I really wanted.

To my surprise, the Summer Sale kicked off the next week and the bag I wanted was not only available but half off! Decided that was a good enough excuse to also grab a Medium Duffel in Root while I was at it

I wasn’t sure if I would kick myself not getting Otter Green, but upon arrival I really love the color combo with the black leather. It’s also a bit better fit for my day to day style. I’m super happy with both bags! Amazing quality and at a pretty unreal price.

On top of that, when I ordered the 256 originally it was oversold and it never showed up. I called Filson and they were apologetic and refunded me immediately. They preceded to track down a store in Edina, Minnesota that had the bag I wanted and gave me their number. I called and Arthur the Store Manager helped me purchase my bag over the phone and even expedited shipping for free (without asking me or even telling me, just being helpful). He was super personable and my experience was great, even with the mishap.

I anxiously awaited for my 256 to arrive today, and to my surprise he threw in a Filson Koozie, Bottle Opener, and Card with a handwritten note and a recommendation to a local winery and bottle of wine (we reminisced about my home, Oregon, over the phone, as he used to live here). I was blown away! Seriously, this experience with their service and products has made me an instant lifelong customer. I’ve waited years to buy this bag and the story to getting it makes it that much better.

Novel over...Pics below!
DC2BDCEB-3792-4983-9FA4-EBCC2A6A5E09.jpeg
EFF16E46-84E4-4020-9996-3F77624B0DCB.jpeg
6472D8F8-B9B1-4918-9E2F-B80E0BB9F079.jpeg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is good to know, thank you for this. I just bought a truck and am thinking of which bag will best suit my needs of cables, straps, etc etc.

anyone using anything other than a med field bag? I was thinking of just using a small duffle but wouldn’t mind something that would fit under the rear seat, although that’s a richer fit (2020 GMC Canyon)
over the winter, I used my Sportsman for gloves, hats, etc in the back of the Jeep. Now that summer is here, I don’t use anything for that purpose. Just a few baseball hats in the storage compartment for when the top is off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads