• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you typically use the small field bag for? I'm about to buy a brand new vintage era piece just for the strap and am contemplating on selling it off to recoup some costs or just keeping it. Not really my style but I guess I could grow into liking it. Just not sure what I could possibly use it for considering the size.
Yes, in some ways it’s an odd bag. Pretty small, but can carry a lot as long as each item isn’t too large. I use it as a day bag - flask, snacks etc. Its good in a scenario like the pic above where it can carry essentials for the travel portion and not be too big.
The 232 medium field bag is a more flexible choice but it is a larger footprint.

singjai

Reaction score
Yes, in some ways it’s an odd bag. Pretty small, but can carry a lot as long as each item isn’t too large. I use it as a day bag - flask, snacks etc. Its good in a scenario like the pic above where it can carry essentials for the travel portion and not be too big.
The 232 medium field bag is a more flexible choice but it is a larger footprint.
Ah gotcha, that's helpful. Guess I should just wait till it arrives and see. The only other thing I could see it being used for in my case is leaving it in one of my vehicles with some tools like jumper cables and what not. Seems like a big waste though. Thanks for the input!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah gotcha, that's helpful. Guess I should just wait till it arrives and see. The only other thing I could see it being used for in my case is leaving it in one of my vehicles with some tools like jumper cables and what not. Seems like a big waste though. Thanks for the input!
Does seem a bit of a waste. Also I think jump cables might be a struggle to get in and out because the top opening is ovalised.
I think you might find a use for it once you’ve got it in hand.
Also - if you need just straps in future @TinMan3 and @GzStudio are good sources!

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Using my newest pickup too. It needs to be restitched in one place and I wish there was some navy twill, but worse things have happened!

Attachments

• 0F1CA21E-02B9-4A03-93A5-F220F2CF3FBA.jpeg
    0F1CA21E-02B9-4A03-93A5-F220F2CF3FBA.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 59

woodsjw

Reaction score
Hey y’all. Long time... curious if anyone has picked up the lightweight anorak? If so, thoughts?

Hope everyone is well! ✌?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all. Long time... curious if anyone has picked up the lightweight anorak? If so, thoughts?

Hope everyone is well! ✌?
Woodsy! Good to hear from you, I was really close to buying the one in the picture in store today. Looked very good. Was super lightweight. Not exactly the same but I think it may be a good purchase for someone in a very warm environment that also tends to rain. That’s a gap in my jacket lineup right now and I notice it more and more in this stormy Chicago summer weather.

8D5BA91F-67FE-48D7-AB0A-33BACD87EB82.png

woodsjw

Reaction score
Yeah. It looks perfect for San Antonio summer storms... did you try it on? Did you take your normal size?

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Woodsy! Good to hear from you, I was really close to buying the one in the picture in store today. Looked very good. Was super lightweight. Not exactly the same but I think it may be a good purchase for someone in a very warm environment that also tends to rain. That’s a gap in my jacket lineup right now and I notice it more and more in this stormy Chicago summer weather.

View attachment 1414882
Yeah. It looks perfect for San Antonio summer storms... did you try it on? Did you take your normal size?
Also, did you compare it to the Aberdeen Work Jacket? What kept you from buying? $200 for a windbreaker?!! Was it the windbreaker to end all windbreakers?

Sorry for so many questions. I just value your input and love it when we can get feedback on Filson items from this community. I think we are a somewhat discerning group even though we’ve all drunk the Kool-Aid.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, did you compare it to the Aberdeen Work Jacket? What kept you from buying? $200 for a windbreaker?!! Was it the windbreaker to end all windbreakers?

Sorry for so many questions. I just value your input and love it when we can get feedback on Filson items from this community. I think we are a somewhat discerning group even though we’ve all drunk the Kool-Aid.
@woodsjw yes, tried on and I am a medium in mile marker, also medium in this jacket. Had a little room but was a comfortable fit. It was the price that kept me away. It is very very lightweight. I guess it just felt less substantial than I’m used to, but it’s still on my mind. Aberdeen is waxed, this is dry wax treated. I’m pretty sure the dry wax would make for a lighter weight jacket as well.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you typically use the small field bag for? I'm about to buy a brand new vintage era piece just for the strap and am contemplating on selling it off to recoup some costs or just keeping it. Not really my style but I guess I could grow into liking it. Just not sure what I could possibly use it for considering the size.
I have two of them, use one as the dog walking bag, to carry water for me and dog/ bags to pick up poop from neighbors yards, some dog treats and clicker, stuff like that. The other is my "fishing" bag, small plastic containers with some lures/leaders/hooks, it has room for a couple of tools, like pliers and knife. The smaller size and oval opening limit the size of things that can be carried, but they suit my purpose(s)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Medium field bag works better for vehicle bag (jumper cables, etc) small is just too small (I have tried)

seven20

Reaction score
Medium field bag works better for vehicle bag (jumper cables, etc) small is just too small (I have tried)
This is good to know, thank you for this. I just bought a truck and am thinking of which bag will best suit my needs of cables, straps, etc etc.

anyone using anything other than a med field bag? I was thinking of just using a small duffle but wouldn’t mind something that would fit under the rear seat, although that’s a richer fit (2020 GMC Canyon)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is good to know, thank you for this. I just bought a truck and am thinking of which bag will best suit my needs of cables, straps, etc etc.

anyone using anything other than a med field bag? I was thinking of just using a small duffle but wouldn’t mind something that would fit under the rear seat, although that’s a richer fit (2020 GMC Canyon)
Small duffel would be nice, maybe a 24hr bag (can put LOTS in it)

seven20

Reaction score
Small duffel would be nice, maybe a 24hr bag (can put LOTS in it)
Ah! A 24hr could work, and I have a tan one that isn’t in use I was considering selling. This would be a great since its thinner than the small duffle. It may even fit under the seat. Can you really fit a lot in one?

I have a brown small duffle also that I need a use for but it’s probably just going to be a family ‘use where needed’ bag.

Stratkat

Reaction score

sportsman works well

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads