• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McRiz

Reaction score
I actually don’t have the medium duffle. I put loafers, flip flops, 6 t shirts, 6 underwear, 4 khaki shorts, 2 gym shorts, 6 socks, knee brace, Filson small toiletry bag filled, a button down and a polo in there (Way too much info I know). It was full but if my life depended on it I could definitely fit more in there. Pretty great.

I think the small Pullman would be better for a long weekend where I had places to go ie I could essentially lay out what I intended to wear each day and know where it was/see it given that it basically is two halves. This I just loaded everything up and zipped it in, and will unpack it all when I’m there. Aka better to live in the Pullman but for this trip I’ll unpack day one.

Glad to finally use it! Has a slight old must to it but hopefully that won’t be an issue haha.
The large twill carry on travel bag is still one of my favorite Filson bags such that I actually have one in OG and one in Navy. It has an inner lining and inner pockets and is not unlike a suitcase. It, unfortunately, was discontinued very quickly. I know some prefer the clam shell of the pullman but zippers for the large twill carry are located on one side which packs better for me (100 percent subjective). Here are some old reviews from Amazon:

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Slight unrequested update: GF decided she would use my Filson too this time. It’s a family affair now.

Attachments

• 2B64B008-D570-49A5-960A-2B59BEE60C37.jpeg
    2B64B008-D570-49A5-960A-2B59BEE60C37.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 78

originalhype

Reaction score
The navy medium travel bag is an uncommon bag, especially in color. I do have one and the twill on that navy MTV is quite soft and not as stiff as the normal twill fabric.
I think that is the time when filson was experimenting with colors from black, navy, and brown.

I do think filson should make a cranberry or burgundy color.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strawberry and Raspberry picking today and now on to the in-laws to make jam. Staying the night and bring a few things hence all the luggage. @danfilsondill it took my wife a while to catch on but after a few compliments from her friends the small red duffle and tan check in bags are now her go to travel bags! It’s not just for the gentlemen (which we already knew! @linablair).

5FF210BF-9BB2-4F29-AD66-BA6E250C1F4D.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a Small Rolling Duffel at Sierra Trading Post today. It’s a nice bag, but there’s no way I’d pay $250 for it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strawberry and Raspberry picking today and now on to the in-laws to make jam. Staying the night and bring a few things hence all the luggage. @danfilsondill it took my wife a while to catch on but after a few compliments from her friends the small red duffle and tan check in bags are now her go to travel bags! It’s not just for the gentlemen (which we already knew! @linablair).

View attachment 1414140

That FRD Tote looks familiar, like the one I was going to snatch up but someone beat me to it :fonz:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, that’s a different one... I got this one on offer up a while back. Too many FRD totes (if there is such a thing)? ;)

No such thing, as long as they’re not sitting in a closet collecting dust. That’s right, it was a #260 Open Tote FRD that I missed out on. So you have two Totes with D-Rings?

danfilsondill

Reaction score
The navy medium travel bag is an uncommon bag, especially in color. I do have one and the twill on that navy MTV is quite soft and not as stiff as the normal twill fabric.
I think that is the time when filson was experimenting with colors from black, navy, and brown.

I do think filson should make a cranberry or burgundy color.
It definitely feels softer. To be honest, don’t like the material as much as the other bags.
I used the MTB, small duffle, small Pullman, journeyman and the unzippered tote.

singjai

Reaction score
Just picked up a Filson x Harvey camera bag on eBay. Noticed this listing states it is a "Safari Edition." Was that a thing? No info on google and I don't think the bag I just bought has the patch shown. Perhaps it was just a one off with that hunting company?

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought this group might appreciate this. Came across this shot and hadn't seen a 242 worn to this degree. No zip under the flap, Talon zippers.

Thanks for this. What an amazing looking bag. the epitome of that combination of refined functionality and battered elegance that we like in our Filson stuff.
I’m a big fan of the 242 and traded my 48hr duffle for one. I love the old school styling, combined with enough space and some practical pockets.
I’ve posted the photos before, but for fun:

DE726A01-07DF-4222-9697-3119AE80338A.jpeg

Lotsa Filson, selvedge and RW

921D74EE-135B-4D76-8F9A-D7A78FC8A623.jpeg

Now, where’s the damn butler when I need him?

singjai

Reaction score
Thanks for this. What an amazing looking bag. the epitome of that combination of refined functionality and battered elegance that we like in our Filson stuff.
I’m a big fan of the 242 and traded my 48hr duffle for one. I love the old school styling, combined with enough space and some practical pockets.
I’ve posted the photos before, but for fun:

View attachment 1414595
Lotsa Filson, selvedge and RW

View attachment 1414594
Now, where’s the damn butler when I need him?

What do you typically use the small field bag for? I'm about to buy a brand new vintage era piece just for the strap and am contemplating on selling it off to recoup some costs or just keeping it. Not really my style but I guess I could grow into liking it. Just not sure what I could possibly use it for considering the size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads