• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Hoping to make my first trip in months this weekend to see my family. Finally get to use a bag! Can’t decide between the Small Pullman or the Carry-on Travel Bag to pack clothes for the week. Bought both right before things got crazy so haven’t had the chance to use either yet!

Attachments

• DEADC658-6FA4-4E2D-BEBF-FE8C0609FC17.jpeg
    DEADC658-6FA4-4E2D-BEBF-FE8C0609FC17.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 37

seven20

Reaction score
Ok
Hoping to make my first trip in months this weekend to see my family. Finally get to use a bag! Can’t decide between the Small Pullman or the Carry-on Travel Bag to pack clothes for the week. Bought both right before things got crazy so haven’t had the chance to use either yet!
I wasn’t aware of the carry-on travel bag. What is the size difference with the small Pullman? Is it more like a duffle with larger opening as opposed to clam shell?

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Ok

I wasn’t aware of the carry-on travel bag. What is the size difference with the small Pullman? Is it more like a duffle with larger opening as opposed to clam shell?

they’re very similar. The carry on has a zipper that goes all the way around but not down the middle like the Pullman Ie there’s a top and bottom to load it up. There’s also the roll top that you button back to keep it out of the way.

Small Pullman dimensions:
18"L x 8¾"W X 13½"H

carry on dimensions:
  • 18 W x 14 H x 9 1/2 D inches

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh all these Pullmans. Someone sell me a Tan Talon Pullman stat.

Still searching for you but the well is dry for a fairly priced Tan Talon sans Patina.

However I was able to source a Motto Tag if anyone is interested....anyone.....didn't think so.

It was bound to happen sooner or later:

Motto 1.PNG

At least we finally get to see what the back looks like.

Motto 2.PNG

mattand27

Reaction score
Hello all,

While I am not new to the Filson brand I am new to styleforum and Filson bags. I recently purchased a 256 Original Briefcase in Tan. Since then I have been browsing this thread and it is full of so much useful information.

My bag was made in December of 2016 and according to the information I have read here it has the less desirable leather and thinner twill (I must say I am happy with the quality of both, although I have nothing to compare it to).

Another thing I noticed is the the white patch on the underside of the storm flap just says Filson / Since 1897 / C. C. Filson Co. / Seattle, WA. Most of the others I've seen pictured in this thread with say Might As Well Have Best (older bags) or Made At Filson. Is the patch on my bag correct? I usually buy my Filson products directly from Filson but I bought this bag at a discounted price on eBay and I want to make sure it is genuine and of first quality.

seven20

Reaction score
Hello all,

While I am not new to the Filson brand I am new to styleforum and Filson bags. I recently purchased a 256 Original Briefcase in Tan. Since then I have been browsing this thread and it is full of so much useful information.

My bag was made in December of 2016 and according to the information I have read here it has the less desirable leather and thinner twill (I must say I am happy with the quality of both, although I have nothing to compare it to).

Another thing I noticed is the the white patch on the underside of the storm flap just says Filson / Since 1897 / C. C. Filson Co. / Seattle, WA. Most of the others I've seen pictured in this thread with say Might As Well Have Best (older bags) or Made At Filson. Is the patch on my bag correct? I usually buy my Filson products directly from Filson but I bought this bag at a discounted price on eBay and I want to make sure it is genuine and of first quality.
Welcome! This thread is a slippery slope into bag ownership.
For the 2016 bags that is the period correct tag. I have seen the arguments of the leather by era, filson ownership etc and I choose not to participate. I have bags from 2015-2019 build dates and I am extremely happy with the quality of each one. I too do not have any older bags, but as I’m happy with all of mine (quite a few bags) then It doesn’t really matter to me.

Welcome and enjoy!

singjai

Reaction score
Hello all,

The older bags have a noticeably thicker and solid twill but that shouldn’t deter you from enjoying the bag. The picture I attached is one I found on Instagram and the new era worn in looks sick.

F5BD7996-8317-4F7F-8447-5979BA9162CB.png

As for the tag, not sure when they switched from the old motto but it sounds right. My 2014 manufactured bags have the new tag as well.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok

I was seriously considering a Navy First Edition #70081 several times a couple of years ago, but never pulled the trigger. Instead I got my Talon OG #246 and I haven't looked back since. It's vastly different to the Small Pullman. In size, pack-ability, features and carry style. It saw a very short production run then it's much much much older brother, the #242 Large Carry On, which is actually closer in function, packing and carry style to the Small Pullman.

This picture always illustrates my point the best:

andy kim.jpg

Since it's mounting points are on the side (like a briefcase or duffel), it carries different on the shoulder as opposed to the Pullman or #242, with their strap mounting points on the back. It's also technically not a clam-shell because you can only pack one side with clothes. The other side has a stash pocket. My favorite part of the bag is most people's least favorite...the roll up storm flap.

AK.jpg

Last edited:

danfilsondill

Reaction score
I was seriously considering a Navy First Edition #70081 several times a couple of years ago, but never pulled the trigger. Instead I got my Talon OG #246 and I haven't looked back since. It's vastly different to the Small Pullman. In size, pack-ability, features and carry style. It saw a very short production run then it's much much much older brother, the #242 Large Carry On, which is actually closer in function, packing and carry style to the Small Pullman.

The picture always illustrates my point the best:

View attachment 1413128

Since it's mounting points are on the side (like a briefcase or duffel), it carries different on the shoulder as opposed to the Pullman or #242, with their strap mounting points on the back. It's also technically not a clam-shell because you can only pack one side with clothes. The other side as a stash pocket. My favorite part of the bag is most people's least favorite...the roll up storm flap.

View attachment 1413140
Wow this is extremely helpful. Also pushing me towards using it instead of the Pullman haha!

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Wow this is extremely helpful. Also pushing me towards using it instead of the Pullman haha!

the other great thing about the carry on is that it folds completely flat. Not a factor here, but if I ever get to travel out of the country again I’ll use the check in suit case and keep the carry on flat in there ready to take all the stupid crap I buy home in it.

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Looks awesome! How does the size compare to a medium duffle? 325, not older big medium
I actually don’t have the medium duffle. I put loafers, flip flops, 6 t shirts, 6 underwear, 4 khaki shorts, 2 gym shorts, 6 socks, knee brace, Filson small toiletry bag filled, a button down and a polo in there (Way too much info I know). It was full but if my life depended on it I could definitely fit more in there. Pretty great.

I think the small Pullman would be better for a long weekend where I had places to go ie I could essentially lay out what I intended to wear each day and know where it was/see it given that it basically is two halves. This I just loaded everything up and zipped it in, and will unpack it all when I’m there. Aka better to live in the Pullman but for this trip I’ll unpack day one.

Glad to finally use it! Has a slight old must to it but hopefully that won’t be an issue haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads