• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I start this post with the statement that I’m not looking to be difficult. We here are friends and have shared much in common over a number of years now.

I also make the comment that I’ve lived in the USA twice as well as working for a number of US businesses. So I’m not a newcomer to the ways of Americans.

But, but.... why the desire to own even one gun? Assuming for a moment that you don’t intend to hunt (ie a pistol), and being a person who is (cough) famed for their research - doesn’t all the data show that gun ownership results in higher suicide rates, more deaths from accidents etc etc etc? And in the event of actually having to use the thing in anger, your own risk of injury skyrockets?

I know this is contentious and much debated. So it’s a genuine question, but also one of an internationalist saddened by the repeated (there’s even an algorithm to predict when and how many) mass casualty events that happen in the US.

I’m sure @CCF1897 can give you a more detailed response, and he is certainly welcome to. Short answer: because it’s our right to. This country was founded on them, and had we not had equal force, we would still be under British tyrannical rule. Different times I know, but actually I believe we are in worse times. With this current situation our country is in, and the world, I find our rights are being whittled away day by day. We don’t even have free speech anymore on public social media platforms, when that speech goes against invented community guidelines. I was going to wait to post my new avatar, as customary with every 1,000 posts, but I feel there is not a better time then now, when further divide is forcing each other apart. Mask wearers versus non-mask wearers, police versus protesters. It’s saddening seeing this breakdown in society before my very eyes.

It’s better to have it and not need it, then not have it at all. I’m a pacifist by nature, in my family I was often the peacemaker (4 kids), and I don’t hunt or have an inclination or desire for it. But currently I have no means of defense, or a proficiency to do so.

7E650182-97E2-4591-B8DF-5B3A14615F5E.jpeg

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Sepia was available

Mayyyybe. There were plenty after my order was made... Do you want one? Lol
Haha thanks man
But you probably did me a favor ... should probably stop buying bags for awhile

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
I start this post with the statement that I’m not looking to be difficult. We here are friends and have shared much in common over a number of years now.

I also make the comment that I’ve lived in the USA twice as well as working for a number of US businesses. So I’m not a newcomer to the ways of Americans.

But, but.... why the desire to own even one gun? Assuming for a moment that you don’t intend to hunt (ie a pistol), and being a person who is (cough) famed for their research - doesn’t all the data show that gun ownership results in higher suicide rates, more deaths from accidents etc etc etc? And in the event of actually having to use the thing in anger, your own risk of injury skyrockets?

I know this is contentious and much debated. So it’s a genuine question, but also one of an internationalist saddened by the repeated (there’s even an algorithm to predict when and how many) mass casualty events that happen in the US.
I grew up around guns, and I view them no different than most tools or even a fishing pole. I’m an avid outdoorsman and enjoy shooting sports. I own a mix of all types of firearms and they all have a different purpose. I carry a pistol a lot while hunting big game or out scouting in remote areas for waterfowl. I’ve come across feral dogs that weren’t the nicest, people out in rural areas manufacturing or doing drugs. We had a large drug grow on a piece of public land I hunt and was advised by local law enforcement to be very vigilant.
I live in a very nice area, that is a few miles from not so nice area that I travel through quite a bit. I’m a non violent person, but I also believe in protecting myself and family. In certain areas our police thats 17min to answer a 911 call, even longer to respond. Most places I hunt have 1 law enforcement officer for 50 to 60 miles. My family have places that the nearest law enforcement officer is two hour drive out west.
Ive been in a few situations where having a visible firearm has had people turn the other way or leave me alone when they appeared to be up to no go out in the middle of nowhere.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up around guns, and I view them no different than most tools or even a fishing pole. I’m an avid outdoorsman and enjoy shooting sports. I own a mix of all types of firearms and they all have a different purpose. I carry a pistol a lot while hunting big game or out scouting in remote areas for waterfowl. I’ve come across feral dogs that weren’t the nicest, people out in rural areas manufacturing or doing drugs. We had a large drug grow on a piece of public land I hunt and was advised by local law enforcement to be very vigilant.
I live in a very nice area, that is a few miles from not so nice area that I travel through quite a bit. I’m a non violent person, but I also believe in protecting myself and family. In certain areas our police thats 17min to answer a 911 call, even longer to respond. Most places I hunt have 1 law enforcement officer for 50 to 60 miles. My family have places that the nearest law enforcement officer is two hour drive out west.
Ive been in a few situations where having a visible firearm has had people turn the other way or leave me alone when they appeared to be up to no go out in the middle of nowhere.
The major risk with firearms are the uneducated and careless. You don’t have to prove that you know how to use one to own one in most states and understanding and using guns is so much more than simply knowing how to load and pull the trigger.

With the right education and safety measures, a gun can be an excellent tool to protect yourself and your family. Without those safety measures and education it can be extremely dangerous to even own a pistol. It isn’t for everyone and depends heavily on your location and your lifestyle for whether a gun is appropriate for you. @DuckMan_11 describes a perfect example of how a gun can be used effectively and safely for sport and for protection.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The major risk with firearms are the uneducated and careless. You don’t have to prove that you know how to use one to own one in most states and understanding and using guns is so much more than simply knowing how to load and pull the trigger.

With the right education and safety measures, a gun can be an excellent tool to protect yourself and your family. Without those safety measures and education it can be extremely dangerous to even own a pistol. It isn’t for everyone and depends heavily on your location and your lifestyle for whether a gun is appropriate for you. @DuckMan_11 describes a perfect example of how a gun can be used effectively and safely for sport and for protection.

That is precisely what I want to use them for; protection and sport (target plinking). Before my first purchase, I am going to be taking safety classes and eventually shooting classes at my local gun range. Coincidentally my parents live near one of the largest in the state. Having something and not being trained how to properly use it is a mistake I am committed not to make. The state of New Jersey is one of the most difficult states to own a firearm. Crazy to think George Washington himself walked many roads of NJ with his troops to our Nations eventual Independence, including where I once lived for 17 years of my life (Middletown). Today I find myself and my fellow man on a different path of freedom and in defense of tyranny.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve decided that this is the last place I want to interject my politics on, as I’ve always looked at this thread, with this particular group, as a well needed distraction. In these times, that is needed even more I think. So I give you my new 1,000 post avatar selection. Staying with the trend of centering around Filson, I chose to include another passion of mine...Kentucky Bourbon & Rye:

46FECB06-33B4-4B8D-9EE1-692345F9BC76.jpeg

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve decided that this is the last place I want to interject my politics on, as I’ve always looked at this thread, with this particular group, as a well needed distraction. In these times, that is needed even more I think. So I give you my new 1,000 post avatar selection. Staying with the trend of centering around Filson, I chose to include another passion of mine...Kentucky Bourbon & Rye:

View attachment 1400390
That GTS is terrible, I'll do you a favor and Ill buy it from you...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That GTS is terrible, I'll do you a favor and Ill buy it from you...

HAHA!!! I actually like it even better then my 2019 William Larue Weller.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads