• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you like it, to me it just detracts from the Filson bags that I have come to know and love. Seems like Filson is trying to be a "fashion" brand, which is ok, button my cup of tea. Besides, I have some Smokey the Bear stuff we bought at a National park when I was a kid, in the 60's or 70's, right after he was introduced I think.
Hmmm, I’m pretty sure Smokey isn’t at the center of fashion at the moment and I also disagree that selling forest service branded gear detracts from Filson mission or its bags. Just my opinion, but Filson and the USFS have had a relationship for decades. They have been outfitting Rangers with wool and canvas garments since at least the ‘60s, and the bags have only been around since the early ‘90s. So really the relationship and affiliation with the forest service has been in place much longer than the bags.

mrright

Reaction score
Hi, I'm kind of new here. I lurk often but this is my first time posting. I ran into an issue. I heard that brass can be cleaned from using bar keeper's friend. I applied a paste today and left it for too long and it made the brass discolored and cloudy. Does anybody know how to fix this?

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Hmmm, I’m pretty sure Smokey isn’t at the center of fashion at the moment and I also disagree that selling forest service branded gear detracts from Filson mission or its bags. Just my opinion, but Filson and the USFS have had a relationship for decades. They have been outfitting Rangers with wool and canvas garments since at least the ‘60s, and the bags have only been around since the early ‘90s. So really the relationship and affiliation with the forest service has been in place much longer than the bags.

agree with this here. I used to be very into collecting sneakers and right about the time I stopped (2014/15) is when the market became flooded with collaborations. In the late 2000s collaborations were super coveted and then it seems like it changed to every brand had a collab every 5 minutes and it was no longer special. Filson seems to be very particular about when they collaborate and it’s always purposeful and I think the Smokey stuff is so perfect and authentic to the Filson brand. Would love to own a hoodie but can’t drop $200 for one (plus I’ve never tried a Filson hoodie on so dubious about sizing)

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm kind of new here. I lurk often but this is my first time posting. I ran into an issue. I heard that brass can be cleaned from using bar keeper's friend. I applied a paste today and left it for too long and it made the brass discolored and cloudy. Does anybody know how to fix this?
Not a lot you can do. BKF is incredibly abrasive and they warn against leaving the product on for more than 30 seconds due to the risk of discoloration.

2 things you can try, a dedicated brass polish, see if you can restore some shine and color. Or you can also try a little ketchup and see if it helps bring back the luster.

seven20

Reaction score
Not a lot you can do. BKF is incredibly abrasive and they warn against leaving the product on for more than 30 seconds due to the risk of discoloration.

2 things you can try, a dedicated brass polish, see if you can restore some shine and color. Or you can also try a little ketchup and see if it helps bring back the luster.
Ketchup? Huh, interesting. Is it the acidity?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson seems to be very particular about when they collaborate and it’s always purposeful

That certainly isn’t always the truth with Filson. They’ve had their fair share of mind boggling collaborations that make as much sense with the alignment of the brand as Glock teaming up with Martha Stewart :lol:

Case in point the $220 Pillbox x Filson baseball bat collaboration:

D1BB96EC-64B3-48ED-9AC1-F65E0C9D3BDF.jpeg

Then you have other examples such as Chilean Snack Tables and Bocce Ball Sets:

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TinMan3 thought about your prized Filson x White Cone piece when I saw this.

Oh yeah, that duffle is a thing of beauty and would look perfect next to my Cone Mills briefcase. It has been sadly sitting on a bench in my guitar room looking pretty but unable to be used for almost 12 weeks. I really do miss carrying my bags to and from the office. What a weird thing to miss!!

Last edited:

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Looks like Sierra is doing even more clearance. And looks like other people found out about that steal on the large duffle since it’s gone now ;). The red small duffle is $100 which is insanely cheap and red and black totes are on clearance as is a red zipped tote.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just want to say @OtterMeanGreen & @Davey13 damn you both because all I have done is look at expensive knives and mods for the last few days. And of course, I'm finding stuff I can't get anymore. You are both terrible people and should be ashamed.

Happy to be of some distraction in these times. I myself these last 3 days have been looking into buying my first firearm. So far I have a pistol picked out, a shotgun and searching for a rifle (or "other") currently. I have never owned a firearm before and living in New Jersey, with all of these anti freedom laws (and a Governor who is rivaling Castro), it's not an ideal place or time to start. Better late then never still.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy to be of some distraction in these times. I myself these last 3 days have been looking into buying my first firearm. So far I have a pistol picked out, a shotgun and searching for a rifle (or "other") currently. I have never owned a firearm before and living in New Jersey, with all of these anti freedom laws (and a Governor who is rivaling Castro), it's not an ideal place or time to start. Better late then never still.
Well share those deets. I keep looking at fancy new items after my recent build.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I start this post with the statement that I’m not looking to be difficult. We here are friends and have shared much in common over a number of years now.

I also make the comment that I’ve lived in the USA twice as well as working for a number of US businesses. So I’m not a newcomer to the ways of Americans.

But, but.... why the desire to own even one gun? Assuming for a moment that you don’t intend to hunt (ie a pistol), and being a person who is (cough) famed for their research - doesn’t all the data show that gun ownership results in higher suicide rates, more deaths from accidents etc etc etc? And in the event of actually having to use the thing in anger, your own risk of injury skyrockets?

I know this is contentious and much debated. So it’s a genuine question, but also one of an internationalist saddened by the repeated (there’s even an algorithm to predict when and how many) mass casualty events that happen in the US.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Looks like Sierra is doing even more clearance. And looks like other people found out about that steal on the large duffle since it’s gone now ;). The red small duffle is $100 which is insanely cheap and red and black totes are on clearance as is a red zipped tote.
Was there more than one color for the zip totes available? Thought I saw more than just red available briefly

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads