• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen

I'm sure you noted this in your research but stay away from the Cold Steel's of the knife world. Benchmade, Spyderco & Emerson probably make the best production knives in the USA these days. I've owned many over the last 20 years. I like small blades for EDC.

I'd buy a CRK Sebenza and call it a day. It will be the last knife you'll ever need. S30V and full ti construction and Chris Reeve invented the frame lock. I've carried this small Sebenza 21 since 2007 or 2008. Blade length is just under 3". Other model is Spyderco framelock with a CF and Ti frame. Syderco leaf style blades are bad ass! Can't remember the model but it also has a nice short, sturdy blade.

I maintain the edge on both with a Spyderco Sharpmaker. They both can shave hair off an arm after 10 minutes on the Sharpmaker. FWIW, Spyderco has always been known to come with one of hte sharpest factory edges in the market.

IMG_5389.jpg
IMG_5390.jpg

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Why, oh why, did Filson stop making the Navy Medium field bag?
There’s a very interesting one on eBay now but it has a patch for the Netflix show sense8...must’ve been a cast/crew gift. Price is reasonable but patch is very in your face haha

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen

I'm sure you noted this in your research but stay away from the Cold Steel's of the knife world. Benchmade, Spyderco & Emerson probably make the best production knives in the USA these days. I've owned many over the last 20 years. I like small blades for EDC.

I'd buy a CRK Sebenza and call it a day. It will be the last knife you'll ever need. S30V and full ti construction and Chris Reeve invented the frame lock. I've carried this small Sebenza 21 since 2007 or 2008. Blade length is just under 3". Other model is Spyderco framelock with a CF and Ti frame. Syderco leaf style blades are bad ass! Can't remember the model but it also has a nice short, sturdy blade.

I maintain the edge on both with a Spyderco Sharpmaker. They both can shave hair off an arm after 10 minutes on the Sharpmaker. FWIW, Spyderco has always been known to come with one of hte sharpest factory edges in the market.

View attachment 1398132 View attachment 1398133

Thanks! I think I’m leaning towards a Spyderco Para 3 with black coated S35VN steel. I did a dream build on it this morning upgrading the scales to a camo green linen Micarta, brass lanyard stopper, complete brass screws, upgraded black shorter deep carry pocket clip. It all came to over then $200 less then the CR Sebenza 31 Micarta.

Definitely going for the Sharpmaker. Was considering a Lansky Turnbox, but would rather have a more premium version.

Beautiful knives you got though, especially that Sebenza. What’s wrong with Cold Steel btw? I hadn’t come across that in my research yet.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I`ve had several knives over the yrs. Currently EDC-ing a Spyderco Native 5.

singjai

Reaction score
So finally started building our dining table bench today and found it a bit frustrating my toolbag was getting too small and unorganized.. Then it hit me... I had a perfectly functional Filson 257 upstairs that served as my work bag for over 6 years. Was originally planning to give it to one of my family members but...

IMG_5303.jpg

IMG_5299.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg

All the dividers and compartments in this bag are huge game changers. I might cut off the handle grip but aside from that, it's perfect!

As or the bench - almost done, just gotta sand and stain :) The dining table's chairs have since been replaced.
IMG_5284.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

Last edited:

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Do any of you have the link that appeared in an email for the forthcoming Restoration Department sale? I can no longer find it and because of this, I’m all irritated at myself.

Thanks in advance.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Doh! That was in the catalog. No wonder I couldn’t find it in my email. I’m losing my mind!! Thanks NevadaBob!!

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doh! That was in the catalog. No wonder I couldn’t find it in my email. I’m losing my mind!! Thanks NevadaBob!!
Oh mannnnn. I’m going to spend a fortune on this new Smokey stuff and then they gotta do the workshop event too. This isn’t fair. I PRAY that I can pass on the workshop stuff. Lol.

BTW @nevadabob that Smokey chainstitch patch is pricey but man is it cool!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just don't get the Smokey the Bear stuff, I am not interested in it at all. I mean, I like Smokey, like the only U can prevent forest fires thing, but have zero interest in buying. For those that do, go for it, post pix once it arrives, but for me just give me Filson bags.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't get the Smokey the Bear stuff, I am not interested in it at all. I mean, I like Smokey, like the only U can prevent forest fires thing, but have zero interest in buying. For those that do, go for it, post pix once it arrives, but for me just give me Filson bags.
It’s not for everyone. For me, it’s the definition of an American icon and sends the same great message that it has for decades. There’s hardly anything more American than Smokey Bear. He’s probably one of the most successful campaigns in us government history outside of maybe Uncle Sam. Anyways, it’s ok that it’s not for you!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s not for everyone. For me, it’s the definition of an American icon and sends the same great message that it has for decades. There’s hardly anything more American than Smokey Bear. He’s probably one of the most successful campaigns in us government history outside of maybe Uncle Sam. Anyways, it’s ok that it’s not for you!
I'm glad you like it, to me it just detracts from the Filson bags that I have come to know and love. Seems like Filson is trying to be a "fashion" brand, which is ok, button my cup of tea. Besides, I have some Smokey the Bear stuff we bought at a National park when I was a kid, in the 60's or 70's, right after he was introduced I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads