• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cbfox

Reaction score
that's not "Issues", its being smart. I spent the entire afternoon fixing a vacuum cleaner as it was less expensive than buying new, and I wanted to see if I could do it. Worst case, couldn't fix it and have to buy a new one anyway. Oh, Fixed It!

Yeah, I’ve always had a problem with buying new “disposable” goods. I re-sharpen my knives when they get dull, build up old nice quality bike frames that I come across, still have a 1965 Buick that I bought in 1989, wear Allen Edmonds dress shoes that I bought in 2010 (recrafted twice), didn’t have a flat screen TV until a few years ago, etc. Don’t get me wrong - I buy high quality (and hand crafted, where possible) goods. But I buy for the long term.

Nice work on the vacuum!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve always had a problem with buying new “disposable” goods. I re-sharpen my knives when they get dull, build up old nice quality bike frames that I come across, still have a 1965 Buick that I bought in 1989, wear Allen Edmonds dress shoes that I bought in 2010 (recrafted twice), didn’t have a flat screen TV until a few years ago, etc. Don’t get me wrong - I buy high quality (and hand crafted, where possible) goods. But I buy for the long term.

Nice work on the vacuum!
All the repair cost me was the price of a small Torx screwdriver set, as I didn't have any T6,7,8 in my tool box ! Now I have more tools, so it was a win-win.
Now if I could only find a really reasonably priced Navy Medium Field bag..it appears they are no longer on the Filson site.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas . . . I’m going to be listing a Medium Field Bag with build tag of January 2008 on the big bay soon. The bag is in incredible shape for being so old - even has the stiffness of a new bag. The leather is perfect, there is NO smell at all.

I wanted to offer it up to any of you first, if interested. Still thinking about the price, but will be a fair offer to any of you.

Only reason for selling is that I now have 3 tan bags that all do nearly the same thing (this one, 256 and 257) and I just don’t need it.

If you’re interested, send me a PM.

Attachments

• 58B11C6E-9A44-4972-A5F6-9B0B9EED070F.jpeg
    58B11C6E-9A44-4972-A5F6-9B0B9EED070F.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 014FB330-B7F2-4061-A1D0-88158F4FE6FF.jpeg
    014FB330-B7F2-4061-A1D0-88158F4FE6FF.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 4B4B2BFB-FCB5-4CE2-9127-D271133DCFAB.jpeg
    4B4B2BFB-FCB5-4CE2-9127-D271133DCFAB.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 54

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I have this right, OMG? Are you saying even advertisements from the Talon era are better than current ads?

:-D

Just a joke. No offense intended.

Precisely...and Talon Era sardines are infinitely better then the what can be found today, but that's common knowledge

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Precisely...and Talon Era sardines are infinitely better then the what can be found today, but that's common knowledge

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but if anyone cares to break out the calipers...I'm all ears.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but if anyone cares to break out the calipers...I'm all ears.

Haha ok. Don't think we've heard from you here in awhile. Do you still have your Filson bags? If I recall correctly, you had a #266 Sportsman and either a #257 or #256 (or was it both)?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha ok. Don't think we've heard from you here in awhile. Do you still have your Filson bags? If I recall correctly, you had a #266 Sportsman and either a #257 or #256 (or was it both)?

Still rotating between a handful (and read this thread fairly regularly).

Daily driver is a tan 256 YKK from 2009 that I bought new.
Tan 257 Talon ebay purchase in 2010.
Medium Travel 2012 YKK bought new
Tan Sportsman 266, YKK from 2012, ebay purchased in 2015.
OG 48 Hour from our very own @GzStudio last year.

The 266 was my 1-3 night bag for years until I picked up the 48 Hr. My wife claimed the 266 and I just may sell the MTB as it never gets used.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I received a new Filson catalog in the mail yesterday and found a couple of things very interesting. There's come new Somkey Bear stuff in the mag, but no sign of the bags we spotted at the ducks unlimited launch earlier this year (and there's no DU stuff either). There's also a note on the back cover stating that there's a limited run of workshop/FRD bags going on sale during June. Annoyingly, the link they have leads to a dead space on the World Wide Web.

CCF1897

Reaction score
I received a new Filson catalog in the mail yesterday and found a couple of things very interesting. There's come new Somkey Bear stuff in the mag, but no sign of the bags we spotted at the ducks unlimited launch earlier this year (and there's no DU stuff either). There's also a note on the back cover stating that there's a limited run of workshop/FRD bags going on sale during June. Annoyingly, the link they have leads to a dead space on the World Wide Web.
I received it yesterday also but did not look through it, I also got my DU mag and I'll take a look tonight to see if they have anything in the gear section. I would suspect this would launch in the Aug timeframe, but who knows, I have seen fall items launching recently from a number of smaller suppliers of outdoor & hunting gear stating they are doing it now b/c supply chains are currently so unpredictable.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not as good as Nordstrom rack, but one of the places I regularly check out is Sierra Trading Post. They seem to cycle through some moderate deals on Filson:

Damn you!

I clicked on that link and now I have this on order. My old roll-aboard has pretty much died after 15 years. I wish it was in navy to match my Fison for BB laptop bag but then I may be too matchy-matchy when traveling (if that ever happens again).

This one would match my BB bag but too pricey:

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Damn you!

I clicked on that link and now I have this on order. My old roll-aboard has pretty much died after 15 years. I wish it was in navy to match my Fison for BB laptop bag but then I may be too matchy-matchy when traveling (if that ever happens again).

This one would match my BB bag but too pricey:

I haven’t seen them do clearance like that on the rolling duffle. I’d def go for it. Sierra has been one of my lesser known places to check and I bought my rolling carry on and the large duffle from there. Generally I think the rolling carryon is my least favorite bag I have and not worth the price so if I were you especially on clearance I’d hit on that rolling duffle.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen them do clearance like that on the rolling duffle. I’d def go for it. Sierra has been one of my lesser known places to check and I bought my rolling carry on and the large duffle from there. Generally I think the rolling carryon is my least favorite bag I have and not worth the price so if I were you especially on clearance I’d hit on that rolling duffle.

Good feedback, thanks! I had no intention of buying a bag but that rolling duffel was too good of a deal. The carry-on only holds 2L more and due to the shape, probably ends up holding less. More importantly, it is twice the price!

I ordered the 43L bag so hopefully it works out and I can retire my old Samsonite that I bought 15 or so years ago.

seven20

Reaction score
What do you like better about a rolling duffle vs the carryon? Just curious as I prefer to carry my bags usually, but for conversation anyway

danfilsondill

Reaction score
What do you like better about a rolling duffle vs the carryon? Just curious as I prefer to carry my bags usually, but for conversation anyway
Sorry I was just suggesting to get the rolling duffle over the carryon because I hate the carryon I have. I don’t have the rolling duffle. That being said, my main gripe with the carryon is it seems imbalanced and doesn’t stand right—a problem that can’t exist with a rolling duffle. But of course the Filson quality otherwise is still there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads