• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

singjai

Reaction score
Welcome.
Talon leather generally ages to a redder hue. Some of the YKK era may also. I have both Talon and YKK and current era and the YKK and Talon are a little redder. But I’m not sure it’s a certainty in all cases.

Padlocks were included on 256/257/258 in talon times - not sure about YKK.
Ah gotcha, makes sense! Thanks!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I had a couple questions on vintage bags-

Do all of the talon era and early YKK era bags typically age into that chestnut type leather or is it generally a hit/miss? I just purchased what appears to be a gently used talon era briefcase and from the pics, the leather is still pretty dark. I think i've seen some like-new talon era/YKK era bags that aged into a reddish type leather just through time so now I'm curious.

Also, did Filson used to give out those little padlocks/keys with their older briefcases? If so, generally whats years were these included?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the interest in this topic. Filson has offered many different types of leather from the Wickett & Craig tannery. It is true that some of it will age and lighten and some will not. Most of that chestnut leather shades were brand new and without aging when it was featured on a portion of the Talon Era and a very short run on the YKK Era.

Filson did give out the padlock and keys on I believe most but not all of the Talon Era and didn’t discriminate on what particular bag it was offered as standard. (but I could be mistaken). For example my Talon #257 came with one, and it has little use for a lock and key. I certainly haven’t had a use for it, but that hasn’t stopped me from admiring it from time to time. Even that has some nice oxidation (Hulk Matter) forming.

Like I said above the Talon Era used a number of different leather shades for their luggage. My #257, #260 & #246 couldn’t be further apart, and each was built within only 5 years of each other (arguably). What makes my point is that each bag was and still is in like-new well preserved condition

8949188D-305B-4467-9C15-4444CD5CC69A.jpeg

5F2EB99D-4CB9-4E2A-9BED-AD02F5738372.jpeg

518863DC-8EE7-4C41-A82F-035EE9308EF0.jpeg

Hope my reply helps you in some kind of way.

Winston2

Reaction score
Welcome.
Talon leather generally ages to a redder hue. Some of the YKK era may also. I have both Talon and YKK and current era and the YKK and Talon are a little redder. But I’m not sure it’s a certainty in all cases.

Padlocks were included on 256/257/258 in talon times - not sure about YKK.
Regarding locks, I have a #258, 09/03 build that came with 2 locks (1 for the main compartment, 1 for the outside compartment)/2 keys for each lock.

singjai

Reaction score
Thanks for the interest in this topic. Filson has offered many different types of leather from the Wickett & Craig tannery. It is true that some of it will age and lighten and some will not. Most of that chestnut leather shades were brand new and without aging when it was featured on a portion of the Talon Era and a very short run on the YKK Era.

Filson did give out the padlock and keys on I believe most but not all of the Talon Era and didn’t discriminate on what particular bag it was offered as standard. (but I could be mistaken). For example my Talon #257 came with one, and it has little use for a lock and key. I certainly haven’t had a use for it, but that hasn’t stopped me from admiring it from time to time. Even that has some nice oxidation (Hulk Matter) forming.

Like I said above the Talon Era used a number of different leather shades for their luggage. My #257, #260 & #246 couldn’t be further apart, and each was built within only 5 years of each other (arguably). What makes my point is that each bag was and still is in like-new well preserved condition

View attachment 1395146

View attachment 1395147

View attachment 1395148

Hope my reply helps you in some kind of way.
Awesome super helpful! The first and third are otter green? Looks insane!

singjai

Reaction score
Regarding locks, I have a #258, 09/03 build that came with 2 locks (1 for the main compartment, 1 for the outside compartment)/2 keys for each lock.
Hm interesting. I wonder if the all three briefcases came with two locks/keys or just the 258..? The one I purchased shows one lock but two keys, so perhaps one was lost.

singjai

Reaction score
Images from the bag I purchased - will update as soon as it arrives. Some of you may have possibly seen it before it was purchased.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Winston2

Reaction score
Hm interesting. I wonder if the all three briefcases came with two locks/keys or just the 258..? The one I purchased shows one lock but two keys, so perhaps one was lost.
I’m not as knowledgeable as others, but my speculation is that the 258 came with a second lock because it has a second zipper compartment on the outside/front. Since the 256 and 257 have only one zipper compartment, it would make sense for them to come with one lock. I would like to find a Talon or early YKK 257.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poor quality reflection photo for today. Remembering those who served with a bbq feels weak. I’m so thankful for my country and my freedom and somehow Filson seems to fit well in the mix. Enjoying good beer, Filson, and bbq today because of the sacrifice of so many.

Btw, I demoed an old plaster wall and that is the lathe. What an incredible process to break down and dispose of a 125 year old wall! Also shout out to my mother in law who bought me a new Filson logger cap :)

D101395C-B755-4BB8-9E02-46157091F657.jpeg

Winston2

Reaction score
Poor quality reflection photo for today. Remembering those who served with a bbq feels weak. I’m so thankful for my country and my freedom and somehow Filson seems to fit well in the mix. Enjoying good beer, Filson, and bbq today because of the sacrifice of so many.

Btw, I demoed an old plaster wall and that is the lathe. What an incredible process to break down and dispose of a 125 year old wall! Also shout out to my mother in law who bought me a new Filson logger cap :)

View attachment 1395185
Cool mother-in-law.

singjai

Reaction score
Folks - reckon Filson would fix this? It’s a battered 257 I have my eye on, dated 01/12. Or would they just try and replace / give a credit...?

View attachment 1395142
I was looking through some pretty old posts and this bag, although not as battered, looks similar to another bag that Filson decided not to restore. Might help with your decision.

It is a sad day.

Cbfox

Reaction score
I was looking through some pretty old posts and this bag, although not as battered, looks similar to another bag that Filson decided not to restore. Might help with your decision.

Yeah - that was my bag. They offered 25% off a single item. I still love Filson, but I now have lower expectations of them standing behind their products.

The benefit is that I now carry my self-repaired Franken-Filson with pride.

I have difficulty throwing things out that I can “fix” (I know . . . I have issues).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah - that was my bag. They offered 25% off a single item. I still love Filson, but I now have lower expectations of them standing behind their products.

The benefit is that I now carry my self-repaired Franken-Filson with pride.

I have difficulty throwing things out that I can “fix” (I know . . . I have issues).
that's not "Issues", its being smart. I spent the entire afternoon fixing a vacuum cleaner as it was less expensive than buying new, and I wanted to see if I could do it. Worst case, couldn't fix it and have to buy a new one anyway. Oh, Fixed It!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics