• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you get a visitation from the ghost of CC Filson himself....

We are glad to have you around sir! I think you and @soltrane were the first replies to my very first post here.

That's correct. In fact all 3 of you guys joined within a 4 month period and now all have reached the Distinguished Level and are all still around contributing to the forum. I may not have started posting until 2 years after, but I am honored to be apart of such a great group of Filsonado's. Many have came and went over the years, but I'm glad the three of you stuck around. To all the new members, welcome and thank you for furthering the conversation, in your own unique way :fonz:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's correct. In fact all 3 of you guys joined within a 4 month period and now all have reached the Distinguished Level and are all still around contributing to the forum. I may not have started posting until 2 years after, but I am honored to be apart of such a great group of Filsonado's. Many have came and went over the years, but I'm glad the three of you stuck around. To all the new members, welcome and thank you for furthering the conversation, in your own unique way :fonz:
I just wish I could friggin' travel and USE these Filson bags. I went to the car dealership the other day - partly to get some service done and (mostly) so I could carry one of my bags for a minute...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wish I could friggin' travel and USE these Filson bags. I went to the car dealership the other day - partly to get some service done and (mostly) so I could carry one of my bags for a minute...

Which one was it? Don't tell me...Journeyman? Speaking of which, anyone interested in joining the Riveted Journeyman club? Hope you like Orange

RJ.PNG

CCF1897

Reaction score
Which one was it? Don't tell me...Journeyman? Speaking of which, anyone interested in joining the Riveted Journeyman club? Hope you like Orange

View attachment 1390972
That would not be a bad gear bag for upland hunting. On another note, my Journeyman has been getting use (finally) as a passenger seat bag carrying Lysol wipes, masks, rubber gloves, hand sanitizer etc. Hopefully I can transition it to something else in the near future.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel likewise. Speedy’s pics of an empty London had me nostalgic for when I passed through there several times a year for work (in my old job). Seemingly always with a new Filson piece in tow. But I was still fine with the domestic business trips and a couple of overseas trips in my new job as still opportunities to use my Filson gear. Now with the quarantine and the warm weather means almost zero opportunity to use any bags or coats except my short lined cruiser in the evening (a very light jacket). Even the faithful EDC Filson satchel sits forlorn in the study next to the paper shredder and waste paper basket.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
I went into London today to see how things were in lockdown. I wanted to see what the cycling was like with empty roads.

London is like New York in that there is always a hum of noise and a sense that something is going on. Not today. Silent, empty streets. The big shopping avenues like ghost towns. Very little traffic. Pretty eerie.
View attachment 1390380
View attachment 1390382

of course I swung past the Filson store. And discovered it has (per rumor), gone. Now a sad empty shop front, all the branding removed, no trace of having been there:
View attachment 1390381
They are still running fine online here, so I guess the rent or location just wasn’t working out. It’s a pity because it’s nice to swing by now and then and look at stuff in person before purchasing.
Wow, sad to see the Filson store gone. I remember seeing it on a prior trip to London. I really wonder what made them close this one down. Obviously profit has to figure in but were Londoners just not interested in the shop or is Filson pulling back from Europe in general? That is such a great street on which to have a shop (or it was when I last visited at least).

linablair

Reaction score

View attachment 1390972
That journeyman would pair well with this orange iPad case I bought six or seven years ago. The old school department store in the small town I lived in carried Filson, which is how I found out about the brand. I often use it for work, going from meeting to meeting. I've also used it to put a fly tying vise and some materials/tools to tie flies with friends. It's the same size as the small grip case meant to carry a pistol. There are certainly less details on the iPad case. If I remember right, the grip case (which I had my eye on) was discontinued shortly before this iPad case came out.

Attachments

• IMG_2250.JPG
    IMG_2250.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2248.JPG
    IMG_2248.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 52

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I found small plastic storage boxes to fit my small field bag. The plastic boxes are for fishing stuff ( hooks, leaders, sinkers, etc) and the small field bag can be easily slung over my shoulder for the 1/2 block walk to the lake. Leaving hands free to carry the two rods and the dog leash....I think my summer fishing is going to be fun
IMG_2597.jpeg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel likewise. Speedy’s pics of an empty London had me nostalgic for when I passed through there several times a year for work (in my old job). Seemingly always with a new Filson piece in tow. But I was still fine with the domestic business trips and a couple of overseas trips in my new job as still opportunities to use my Filson gear. Now with the quarantine and the warm weather means almost zero opportunity to use any bags or coats except my short lined cruiser in the evening (a very light jacket). Even the faithful EDC Filson satchel sits forlorn in the study next to the paper shredder and waste paper basket.
Agreed. I find myself considering selling my 257 now as I feel bad that it's sitting there - doing nothing. 'Forlorn' is a word that is very appropo during these times.

Hope all is well, Soletrane- haven't heard from around these parts for a beat.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be a Tote kind of day. In my daily eBay search I found an abundant amount of a variety of Filson totes, all from one seller. This guy is like the @GzStudio or @TinMan3 of Japan it seems. These were only a few that caught my stare.

1. Never seen this one before, love the contrasting colors (Otter Green, Tan, Navy & even Orange). The Otter Green Pockets are my favorite part.

Tote Tri Color.PNG

2. Not a unique Tote but equally as cool. For some reason both the Title and Description fail to mention just how rare this one is. Judging by the interior shot, this one appears to be the Brooks Brother's Journeyman with Tartan (No rivets though). Priced pretty fairly too.

BB Tartan.PNG

3. Back to Totes. I don't believe I have ever seen this pattern before. It does feature the Motto Tag and the price seems pretty reasonable too.

Tote Plaid.PNG

4. The final Tote is the #260 and the leather appears to be of the Talon Era. Again, the price seems rather low for it's condition and rarity. I like mine better though thank you very much.

Tote 260.PNG

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be a Tote kind of day. In my daily eBay search I found an abundant amount of a variety of Filson totes, all from one seller. This guy is like the @GzStudio or @TinMan3 of Japan it seems. These were only a few that caught my stare.

1. Never seen this one before, love the contrasting colors (Otter Green, Tan, Navy & even Orange). The Otter Green Pockets are my favorite part.

View attachment 1391484

2. Not a unique Tote but equally as cool. For some reason both the Title and Description fail to mention just how rare this one is. Judging by the interior shot, this one appears to be the Brooks Brother's Journeyman with Tartan (No rivets though). Priced pretty fairly too.

View attachment 1391486

3. Back to Totes. I don't believe I have ever seen this pattern before. It does feature the Motto Tag and the price seems pretty reasonable too.

View attachment 1391489

4. The final Tote is the #260 and the leather appears to be of the Talon Era. Again, the price seems rather low for it's condition and rarity. I like mine better though thank you very much.

View attachment 1391494
This guy has some AWESOME stuff. Some stuff that I have never seen which I don’t say often. He’s asking a premium for them, and most of his stuff is pretty far off the mark, but overall, I agree that this is certainly an unusual seller with great stuff. Lot of vintage as well. I believe the first tote and the backpack were brooks brothers exclusives actually.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I hate to disagree with my man tinman3, but I think that first tote was generally Filson "mass-produced" rather than for a specific retailer and is a cousin to the Filson Large Zip Tote, which I have always liked, but have never been able to get my hands on.

Edit: the google machine has this review for you...complete with mention of Filson's awesome "Briddle" leather.

Second edit: "Briddle" leather reminded me of some ebay listings I see calling Filson leather "Bridal" leather which, I must admit, I wish I would have had some on my wedding night!

nevadabob

Reaction score
Fellas, and you linablair,

I must admit, my newest obsession is with a company called Oxford Pennant out of Buffalo, New York. I've got a handful of its banners/flags and a couple of patches. I believe Oxford sells a mug or a sticker or something that says "I wish I'd never heard of Oxford Pennant." I used to wonder what that meant, but now I'm about ready to buy one of whatever-that-was.
IMG_0523.JPG
Here are a couple of patches I'm thinking of adding to some totes. What say you?

linablair

Reaction score
Fellas, and you linablair,

I must admit, my newest obsession is with a company called Oxford Pennant out of Buffalo, New York. I've got a handful of its banners/flags and a couple of patches. I believe Oxford sells a mug or a sticker or something that says "I wish I'd never heard of Oxford Pennant." I used to wonder what that meant, but now I'm about ready to buy one of whatever-that-was.
View attachment 1391920
Here are a couple of patches I'm thinking of adding to some totes. What say you?

Oxford Pennant makes some very cool stuff! A few years ago, I ran across a series of patches Best Made Co. put together - 10 or 12 different flies. I bought one of each and put a patch on most of my Filson bags - some in more visible locations than others. I feel like it gives them a bit more character, makes them cohesive when I carry more than one and makes them more easily identifiable. Or, I'm rationalizing and just like it... I visited my brother last weekend and took my red small duffle and tote, both of which were gifts in the past year. I say go for the patches!

Attachments

• IMG_2123 2.JPG
    IMG_2123 2.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 59

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads