• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GzStudio

Reaction score
If you want wheeled luggage that minimizes weight, maximizes space, and has an unconditional lifetime warranty, just go ahead and spring for Briggs & Riley. They even offer olive.:)

I use samsonite firelite and cosmolite for our families luggage. The 28” is less than 7lbs. The carryon versions are 4.5lbs dry. When your packing light for a family of four and checking bags, reducing the weight of the case allows you to not get hit by overages. Which we needed to check with 2 younger kids and no free hands. But now that my kids are older, they want their own carryon so we are now checking less, but still pack a communal case to check on week long trips. I wanted to get behind Filson luggage, but it just didn’t work for my situation. Plus having 4 wheels is so much easier.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want wheeled luggage that minimizes weight, maximizes space, and has an unconditional lifetime warranty, just go ahead and spring for Briggs & Riley. They even offer olive.:)

The Briggs and Riley is quite nice. However my quest for “the one” continues. The Filson is still the best looking and I probably will eventually pull the trigger on a noteworthy first edition, even without the warranty. Like @TinMan3 says, the wheels appear to be easy to replace DIY. Until then, since I am traveling next to never these days, I will just stick with my Samsonite Carryon. I’ll never get back what I paid for it back in 2011 and I might as well just run it into the ground.

Last time I used it was for a work related road trip to Maryland last year:

7E249F35-69F5-42FC-99A2-A86FA5701698.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Briggs and Riley is quite nice. However my quest for “the one” continues. The Filson is still the best looking and I probably will eventually pull the trigger on a noteworthy first edition, even without the warranty. Like @TinMan3 says, the wheels appear to be easy to replace DIY. Until then, since I am traveling next to never these days, I will just stick with my Samsonite Carryon. I’ll never get back what I paid for it back in 2011 and I might as well just run it into the ground.

Last time I used it was for a work related road trip to Maryland last year:

View attachment 1368906
On plastics. I think it’s great to be able to replace wheels but the real problem is the housings for the wheels and the bottom kick plates. These are the areas that snag on carousels and overheads and crack or tear. This is an issue with any case where the plastics meet another material - usually fabric- of the rest of the bag.

danfilsondill

Reaction score
I like mine. It was a great bargain at the price I paid even if it doesn’t last me a lifetime. It has some obvious design flaws. The biggest issue for me is that it doesn’t not standing up well when fully packed (falls forward). Next biggest issue is the weight. By itself it’s like 8+lbs which in Europe is half your carry capacity and the US isn’t far behind. Anyways, it looks amazing and is very tough. The wheels will be the first thing to go but it looks to me like they used roller blade wheels which finding a replacement looks reasonably easy. Anyways, for a good price, it’s a nice carry on but I likely wouldn’t be able to justify sticker price especially considering they no longer make them in the USA. Mine is an early YKK build tag and I’m happy with it.

my least favorite bag is my rolling carry on. Glad to hear others have this issue of it being SO unstable. I even sent it to Filson because even just barely full it tips over. They said there was no issue and sent it back. I kind of want to add something to the front two legs to make it have an easier time standing. A carry on should stand! Crazy thing is the check in bag is AMAZING and so sturdy. Don’t understand why the carry on can’t just stand haha

McRiz

Reaction score
I just received a small travel bag in otter. You can compare the size of this little guy to a navy medium travel bag and a tan large outfitter. (My house is starting to look like a Filson store.)

Attachments

• 20200410_112504.jpg
    20200410_112504.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 103

danfilsondill

Reaction score
I just received a small travel bag in otter. You can compare the size of this little guy to a navy medium travel bag and a tan large outfitter. (My house is starting to look like a Filson store.)
Looks great! Especially the navy.

McRiz

Reaction score
Looks great! Especially the navy.
Agreed. Navy is a great color. I also have large twill carry-on, journeyman, small travel kit and rolling check-in, all in navy. I think, however, you have everyone beat in the blue department, which is awesome!

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Agreed. Navy is a great color. I also have large twill carry-on, journeyman, small travel kit and rolling check-in, all in navy. I think, however, you have everyone beat in the blue department, which is awesome!
Still wish our Journeyman’s has twill front pockets!
I really wish I could get a navy wallet too. Maybe one of their one off restoration department jobs.

seven20

Reaction score
Still wish our Journeyman’s has twill front pockets!
I really wish I could get a navy wallet too. Maybe one of their one off restoration department jobs.
I wish there was a twill journeyman and a twill 24 hour.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish there was a twill journeyman and a twill 24 hour.
Agree on the twill 24hr, closest might be medium field bag, but not the same as 24 hr. Since I didn't need another Filson bag, and they are having 35% off sale, I just pulled the trigger on a blue 24 hr. Then I can hang my tan one out in the sun for a few weeks to get the old tent smell out of it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone owned or seen one of these in person. That Pendleton style interior fabric is really captivating. It does clarify that it’s Made in Italy, so it appears to be a collaboration of some kind. It’s called The Fisherman Parka:

874F5F60-0166-48F1-B3B3-098DD7579772.jpeg

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a shame, as my belief has always been that with these 4 Wheel Spinners, you lose valuable real estate. I'm not certain but I believe the older #70323 was 35L and this new version is only 30L. Filson of course did not factor that capacity loss into their price model. I'm not sure if it's public knowledge (to the newer members) but Filson does not extend the Lifetime Warranty to the Rolling Luggage, more plastic wheels means more of a chance something breaks and you are out of pocket getting it repaired.
Durn! I was not aware of this (and I'm and old member, lol).

I like mine. It was a great bargain at the price I paid even if it doesn’t last me a lifetime. It has some obvious design flaws. The biggest issue for me is that it doesn’t not standing up well when fully packed (falls forward). Next biggest issue is the weight. By itself it’s like 8+lbs which in Europe is half your carry capacity and the US isn’t far behind. Anyways, it looks amazing and is very tough. The wheels will be the first thing to go but it looks to me like they used roller blade wheels which finding a replacement looks reasonably easy. Anyways, for a good price, it’s a nice carry on but I likely wouldn’t be able to justify sticker price especially considering they no longer make them in the USA. Mine is an early YKK build tag and I’m happy with it.

Me, too. I get compliments when I check in my 2 wheeled bag by the gate agent. I try to carry on all the time, but sometimes have to check it.

JZDmyYJ.jpg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone owned or seen one of these in person. That Pendleton style interior fabric is really captivating. It does clarify that it’s Made in Italy, so it appears to be a collaboration of some kind. It’s called The Fisherman Parka:

View attachment 1369932
Otter - I haven’t seen one in person although came close to buying one used last year. These were Filson Italy items which as you know had different product lines to the US stuff.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otter - I haven’t seen one in person although came close to buying one used last year. These were Filson Italy items which as you know had different product lines to the US stuff.

What stopped you from buying it? I actually had no idea Filson had an Italian Line. The lining says it's a Navajo Blanket Lining, wonder which textile that is from? Pendleton?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics