• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about an outfitter for a while now for my hunting trips. Decided to pick up the XL duffel this past fall and not sure if I’d use the outfitter. I was also looking at the one Wren&Ivy (small US based company- geared towards the hunting lifestyle) makes in addition to the Filson.

on another note I saw today that Frost River converted their entire operation to make Personal Protection Equipment for those on the front line battling Covid-19. I thought that was really cool and there is a good writeup on their Instagram page for anyone interested in checking it out.
I want to just keep mine in my truck, love the lower compartment, will use it for a pair of boots I like to have with me, and tools. Also keep a few changes of clothes for spontaneous adventures, and cold weather gear, a camp stove, and cooking utensils. The whole idea is to have it in one place and be able to toss it in the bed if I have passengers.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Glad to see you back GZ. :fonz: Any chance we could see a side by side of the #236 MOB (Medium Outfitter Bag) and the #238 LOB (Large Outfitter Bag)? Too bad they didn't make a Small Outfitter Bag....because that abbreviation would be killer.

I don't think this size comparison exists online yet and would be a first: #236 vs #238.

I am sure I can get some comparison pictures shortly. The SOB lower compartment would be somewhat impractical, except maybe to store your flip flops to and from the beach...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure I can get some comparison pictures shortly. The SOB lower compartment would be somewhat impractical, except maybe to store your flip flops to and from the beach...

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing it. I’m wondering just how big the 236 lower compartment is. In your experience, can you store boots or is it like the SOB, if such a bag existed?

McRiz

Reaction score
I want to just keep mine in my truck, love the lower compartment, will use it for a pair of boots I like to have with me, and tools. Also keep a few changes of clothes for spontaneous adventures, and cold weather gear, a camp stove, and cooking utensils. The whole idea is to have it in one place and be able to toss it in the bed if I have passengers.

Hi Stratkat,

I am curious about your thoughts regarding the build quality of the talon outfitter bag. Do you think the leather is better, worse or the same as your newer Bedrock bags? How does the twill compare to the more modern bags you have?

BTW, nice find on the outfitter.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Hi Stratkat,

I am curious about your thoughts regarding the build quality of the talon outfitter bag. Do you think the leather is better, worse or the same as your newer Bedrock bags? How does the twill compare to the more modern bags you have?

honestly, I don't see much of a difference at all. all of my new bags are only 2 years old. The twill is exactly the same thickness, the build, design, stitching, on my new stuff is just as rugged as the outfitter. the leather is the same thickness too. I know there is a rabid following for 'vintage' gear, I honestly don't see the hype.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Stratkat,

I realize this question wasn't meant for me but it was posted publicly so I can't help give you my take. I have owned multiple bags from all 3 Era's (multiple editions from each era as well) and can speak as a matter of fact that there is a difference in leather quality / fit and finish between the leather offerings of all three Era's, and The Talon Era offers the best quality and less commonplace QC imperfections. Keep in mind, leather thickness is only part of the equation.

As far as the Twill, that is noticeably unchanged in terms of thickness (for the most part), although some have argued that the newer stuff feels lighter when being directly compared to the newer releases. In terms of color, you will see a difference in the first edition Otter Green when compared to the later years of the Talon Era and anything released afterwards; it's lighter in shade. A brief look at my avatar will show the difference between Talon Otter Green releases (each bag being purchased in new-like condition). I myself happen to think Filson has toyed with the formula of Rugged Twill but the average user won't care or notice a difference. Why else would Bedrock scrub the public admission of using "22 Ounce Rugged Twill" to what they now refer to "2-ply x 3-ply twill"

Stratkat

Reaction score
I realize this question wasn't meant for me but it was posted publicly so I can't help give you my take. I have owned multiple bags from all 3 Era's (multiple editions from each era as well) and can speak as a matter of fact that there is a difference in leather quality / fit and finish between the leather offerings of all three Era's, and The Talon Era offers the best quality and less commonplace QC imperfections. Keep in mind, leather thickness is only part of the equation.

As far as the Twill, that is noticeably unchanged in terms of thickness (for the most part), although some have argued that the newer stuff feels lighter when being directly compared to the newer releases. In terms of color, you will see a difference in the first edition Otter Green when compared to the later years of the Talon Era and anything released afterwards; it's lighter in shade. A brief look at my avatar will show the difference between Talon Otter Green releases (each bag being purchased in new-like condition). I myself happen to think Filson has toyed with the formula of Rugged Twill but the average user won't care or notice a difference. Why else would Bedrock scrub the public admission of using "22 Ounce Rugged Twill" to what they now refer to "2-ply x 3-ply twill"
When I opened the box I was excited expecting to see a marked difference between the eras, and I just don’t see it. This is a a well preserved example, and I will say it’s a great design. For those who are worried the quality has declined on a contemporary model, I say buy with confidence. For those who like older gear, all the more power to you, enjoy.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I opened the box I was excited expecting to see a marked difference between the eras, and I just don’t see it. This is a a well preserved example, and I will say it’s a great design. For those who are worried the quality has declined on a contemporary model, I say buy with confidence. For those who like older gear, all the more power to you, enjoy.

So you're not even going to acknowledge a difference in the Wickett and Craig leather quality (with the suede underside) when compared to your newest Filson leather? That alone right there is a "marked difference"

Stratkat

Reaction score
So you're not even going to acknowledge a difference in the Wickett and Craig leather quality (with the suede underside) when compared to your newest Filson leather? That alone right there is a "marked difference"
It’s not really suede like though...
You and I just have different priorities. Your concerns revolve around patina, and leather feel. Mine around a well built bag to be used, and is going to last a long time.

BF7BE7E4-2149-4F34-9C5D-1920E1EADA29.jpeg

seven20

Reaction score
I will add to this, I've heard many people say the navy is thinner than the OG and Tan. I have a 2015 build date OG Medium duffle (70222) and a 2017 Navy (70325) and I cannot tell any different in the thickness of the twill. I spent a while a few nights ago trying to find a spot on the bags that felt different. I have no insight into old vs. new, but I think Navy is just the same as OG.

McRiz

Reaction score
You and I just have different priorities. Your concerns revolve around patina, and leather feel. Mine around a well built bag to be used, and is going to last a long time.

View attachment 1365577
Sorry all, I wasn't trying to re-ignite this heated discussion. I just wanted Stratkat's thoughts now that he has an older (new) bag as to whether he has been swayed one way or the other. Stay safe and healthy.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1365577

Compare that to the underside of any of your Bedrock's and say there isn't a marked difference, at least visually. There are different levels of "sueded undersides", but it's there. After all this time I still don't think you get what draws me to Filson, because it isn't one particular thing, and it certainly isn't "patina"....have you seen how clean my Filson's are? Your new addition to your collection is at least 12 years older then your oldest Bedrock Filson. I think we like the same thing here. My oldest Filson is allegedly 26 years old and still going strong.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Compare that to the underside of any of your Bedrock's say there isn't a marked difference. There are different levels of "sueded undersides", but it's there. After all this time I still don't think you get what draws me to Filson, because it isn't one particular thing, and it certainly isn't "patina"....have you seen my Filson's? Your new addition to your collection is at least12 years older then your oldest Bedrock Filson. I think we like the same thing here. My oldest Filson is allegedly 26 years old and still going strong.
Judge for yourself. The upper strap is from my 2 yr old field bag, which is FB my most used bag, the lower is the outfitter. There is a color difference, but the feel and texture is the same. My field bag is softer because It’s broken in.
B23946C1-B658-4B45-BFB9-43EA23D48593.jpeg
2FA1C95F-3840-4819-8223-743AC09D3CD0.jpeg
E0758F78-594B-4464-AFFE-D10B187E87E9.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking your advice I studied each picture and noticed several factors. One, your Bedrock leather appears to be in the early stages of pilling and or chipping, judging by the first two pictures.

Neither picture looks the same, minus the small section you focused on in the 3rd when they aren't under flex. Hence why I think you're wrong to say there isn't a marked difference, when anyone with sight can see that there is. Just going by your original picture post I can notice that the leather (under flex) doesn't contain the telltale loose grain/cardboard/"elephant knees" effect seen on many bedrock Filson examples posted on this thread. The pictures below aren't just one case, but widespread over many. Visual has nothing to do with quality, which isn't even the point that I am debating here. The fact that you can't even acknowledge a visual difference is disappointing.

Case in point:
"Elephant Knees" as stated by a member

ek.jpg

Loose Grain under flex:

LG 1.PNG

Cardboard feeling leather (this I have experienced on 2 Bedrock 70257's

cb.PNG

Last edited:

CCF1897

Reaction score
Sorry all, I wasn't trying to re-ignite this heated discussion. I just wanted Stratkat's thoughts now that he has an older (new) bag as to whether he has been swayed one way or the other. Stay safe and healthy.
I think you asked a fair question about about HIS opinion of HIS bag vs other bags HE owns. I’d hope we would all be entitled to give our own opinions and that is what Strat did.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads