• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Was there 3 sizes of the Outfitter?

would the smallest one be useable as a carryon piece

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was there 3 sizes of the Outfitter?

would the smallest one be useable as a carryon piece

To my knowledge there were only 2 Outfitter Bags released; the #238 & #239. The #238 is going to be your best bet for carry on compatibility, but only if you compress the bottom compartment, then it most closely resembles a #248 LTB, which can and has been used as a carry-on bag (not stuffed to capacity)

Filson 238 Large Outfitter:

Filson 239 XL Outfitter:

Revised Filson Large Twill Carry-on (style) Outfitter. This probably was one of the most short lived Filson designs ever.

outfitter.jpg

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge there were only 2 Outfitter Bags released; the #238 & #239. The #238 is going to be your best bet for carry on compatibility, but only if you compress the bottom compartment, then it most closely resembles a #248 LTB, which can and has been used as a carry-on bag (not stuffed to capacity)

Filson 238 Large Outfitter:

Filson 239 XL Outfitter:

Revised Filson Large Twill Carry-on (style) Outfitter. This probably was one of the most short lived Filson designs ever.

View attachment 1365046
@FilsonDude i believe there were 3 versions 236, 238, 239. The 236 was called the medium outfitter. I believe it was the size of a medium travel bag but with a compartment for boots on the bottom. The 238 and 239 were both the large travel bag on top and the xl just had a larger bottom compartment with snaps. I could be wrong on the size of the upper, but I’m pretty sure there were 3.

@OtterMeanGreen is spot on with the super awkward outfitter travel bag. I’ve had one (just to sell) but the shape was exceptionally awkward like carrying a long box vertically. Very strange indeed.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FilsonDude i believe there were 3 versions 236, 238, 239. The 236 was called the medium outfitter. I believe it was the size of a medium travel bag but with a compartment for boots on the bottom. The 238 and 239 were both the large travel bag on top and the xl just had a larger bottom compartment with snaps. I could be wrong on the size of the upper, but I’m pretty sure there were 3.

@OtterMeanGreen is spot on with the super awkward outfitter travel bag. I’ve had one (just to sell) but the shape was exceptionally awkward like carrying a long box vertically. Very strange indeed.

You might be right on that one, but that appears to be in the extremely rare Filson club. I wonder if Filson discontinued it first, before the 238/239. So my advice would be to go for the readily available (but usually pretty pricey) Large #238 and under-pack it so you can carry-on

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might be right on that one, but that appears to be in the extremely rare Filson club. I wonder if Filson discontinued it first, before the 238/239. So my advice would be to go for the readily available (but usually pretty pricey) Large #238 and under-pack it so you can carry-on

Once again, I’ve had one and sold it. Cool bag (talon zippers) but reeked something terrible. It’s one of the only bags where I went out of my way to deeply describe the smell of the bag to make sure buyers got the picture. I think you’re right that it’s pretty rare but probably not impossible to find. Gz may even have one.

On another note: I’m digging this! But not really the price. I prefer the bridle leather version for that much money.

B2450F45-0C9E-49C2-9F79-E7EFD666BA3A.jpeg

New Luggage Tag

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Once again, I’ve had one and sold it. Cool bag (talon zippers) but reeked something terrible. It’s one of the only bags where I went out of my way to deeply describe the smell of the bag to make sure buyers got the picture. I think you’re right that it’s pretty rare but probably not impossible to find. Gz may even have one.

On another note: I’m digging this! But not really the price. I prefer the bridle leather version for that much money.

View attachment 1365081

New Luggage Tag
I would love to buy like 4 bridle luggage tags but they’re just so expensive (and also out of stock).

Stratkat

Reaction score
CDB568EB-8E49-46BE-818D-751B4C0C3D48.jpeg
7CAA0066-BA76-4074-9A8A-31BF8FCCF5E2.jpeg
8D8C9893-424E-4521-BFA7-F75C71FE7716.jpeg
C049FEE3-38AE-49F9-AC8C-E4A5E468116B.jpeg
CA78279C-E497-4BC1-BD3A-2155E59189A3.jpeg
BB6BD778-F355-4073-BDE8-8338FBA7E2C2.jpeg
84E588F6-64C5-41BA-A742-2DF473966F68.jpeg

It’s here. Bought it from an older gentleman. He says he bought it and never used it. There is certainly no wear that I can see. There is a canvas scent to it, strong, but not repulsive. I’ll air it out in the next few days. The leather is dry but no cracks anywhere, I’ll come condition that as well, then put it into service.

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
F54F0D2B-1D53-426D-9DB0-296D53AFB4E0.jpeg
0E921086-1FEF-4622-A464-E596C7C77083.jpeg

there is no build tag that I can find, it’s a big bag and there is a lot of real estate, nooks, and crannies, I looked it over several times but can’t find it. The little catalog that came with it has a copyright date of 2000, so it’s probably around there.

seven20

Reaction score
View attachment 1365142 View attachment 1365143
there is no build tag that I can find, it’s a big bag and there is a lot of real estate, nooks, and crannies, I looked it over several times but can’t find it. The little catalog that came with it has a copyright date of 2000, so it’s probably around there.
What an awesome find! I really enjoy stories where the seller is cool and appreciative of the future of an item.

GzStudio

Reaction score

View attachment 1365081

New Luggage Tag

I might have at least one, possibly two medium outfitter bags if that is what you were referring to, which is the 236. I have a few large 238’s, but I think I sold all of my 239’s, the xl

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1365131 View attachment 1365132 View attachment 1365133 View attachment 1365134 View attachment 1365135 View attachment 1365136 View attachment 1365137
It’s here. Bought it from an older gentleman. He says he bought it and never used it. There is certainly no wear that I can see. There is a canvas scent to it, strong, but not repulsive. I’ll air it out in the next few days. The leather is dry but no cracks anywhere, I’ll come condition that as well, then put it into service.

Hope it works out for you in the end once the Talon Era leather is hydrated and conditioned. The 239 looks incredible and something tells me you'll have plenty of space, maybe more then you need, especially compared to the somewhat smaller revised Sportsman. But that's a very good problem to have. The newer Talons sometimes came with build tags, but those are an extreme rarity and mostly on those in-between the Talon and YKK Era's, so i'm not surprised yours doesn't feature one. What's probably most impressive and uncommon, is that you have all 4 sets of Filson branded lock and keys and the shoulder strap. Thanks for sharing that with us and best of luck.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might have at least one, possibly two medium outfitter bags if that is what you were referring to, which is the 236. I have a few large 238’s, but I think I sold all of my 239’s, the xl

Glad to see you back GZ. :fonz: Any chance we could see a side by side of the #236 MOB (Medium Outfitter Bag) and the #238 LOB (Large Outfitter Bag)? Too bad they didn't make a Small Outfitter Bag....because that abbreviation would be killer.

I don't think this size comparison exists online yet and would be a first: #236 vs #238.

CCF1897

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about an outfitter for a while now for my hunting trips. Decided to pick up the XL duffel this past fall and not sure if I’d use the outfitter. I was also looking at the one Wren&Ivy (small US based company- geared towards the hunting lifestyle) makes in addition to the Filson.

on another note I saw today that Frost River converted their entire operation to make Personal Protection Equipment for those on the front line battling Covid-19. I thought that was really cool and there is a good writeup on their Instagram page for anyone interested in checking it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads