• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Strat. I'm excited to see your reaction and review. Hopefully you vetted the seller and got one that doesn't come with too much funkiness (i.e mustiness). I have heard the Outfitter's (given the nature of its owners), can possess this trait more so then any other Filson. That usually is attributed to wet/dirty gear being stowed in the bottom compartment. However some on here haven't experienced this. @speedy611 what say you?

This one is my favorite Outfitter pic...followed by Speedy's

View attachment 1364130

View attachment 1364131
With regard to smell etc in the base compartment: mine is fine. This isn’t a bag I use that frequently, and when I do, even if I’m carrying boots or shoes they are dry so the problem doesn’t arise. But I agree with the theory completely.

For comparison : I have a waxed Cotten saddle bag made by a classic UK manufacturer. Twill, wax and leather ... sound familiar? These things go on for 20-30 years. I discovered mine today covered in mold after the winter in the garage. Bicarbonate of soda, white vinegar, then a rewax and treat the leather and it’ll be good to go.

Scrubbing in progress:
8334B422-AE6E-4148-BAD4-429E700508ED.jpeg

And here on the bike last summer
C1293C3F-30C0-4966-B0F1-82F4858E9E82.jpeg

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Came across this post today while 'working'. Wanted to respond so any newer members may see. Would be interestin to see if @danfilsondill alone can swing the Navy bag count :bounce2:.

It was definitely interesting to look through and see everyone's collections. I also added a chart for Material - @TinMan3 if you prefer you can remove it - I was just curious

After filling out the attached (I couldn't complete bag numbers I still don't know if I know them all - is there a list anywhere here?), the Navy percentage jumped from 9.7 to 12.8%! Sorry for throwing everything off haha

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After filling out the attached (I couldn't complete bag numbers I still don't know if I know them all - is there a list anywhere here?), the Navy percentage jumped from 9.7 to 12.8%! Sorry for throwing everything off haha

You're looking at it...we are the list. What bags do you need numbers to?

seven20

Reaction score
You can look at the tag inside the bag and it will tell you. Example, the small duffle is 70220. Then there will be a 4 digit code like 0416 that means April 2016 build date. I filled in a few of yours based on bags I have also.

I also updated the chart for bag numbers to read a hidden column that only looks at the last 3 digits for anyone that put the full style number. This will be combined (ex 70256 and 256 will be 256 on the chart).

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can look at the tag inside the bag and it will tell you. Example, the small duffle is 70220. Then there will be a 4 digit code like 0416 that means April 2016 build date. I filled in a few of yours based on bags I have also.

I also updated the chart for bag numbers to read a hidden column that only looks at the last 3 digits for anyone that put the full style number. This will be combined (ex 70256 and 256 will be 256 on the chart).

I'd like to see a specificity between both noticeable era's. Talon/YKK Era only uses 3 digits and Bedrock Era introduced the 5 digit (70 + 256) build number. Although I see how that might be tedious to bifurcate

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're all set, I filled in the missing gaps for your build numbers. My only question is your rolling carry on, can you confirm the build number on it? Filson revised this model (like the Sportsman) and introduced a completely new build number. Also can you confirm the build date on your MTB? Staying on the MTB, I wasn't aware you had a 246, since I didn't see it reflected in your first picture post

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up about the Tanner sale, OMG. Yes I dipped into the sample sale.

TOP - Travel Wallet - M81 Camo from this year's sale.

MID - Utility Bifold Natural from sample sale last year.

LOW - Utility Bifold Natural bought several years ago, regular price. Retired from duty.

View attachment 1363948 View attachment 1363952

Thanks for turning me onto Tanner Goods. Their wallets and belts are incredible. I still have this in my peripherals in the near future hopefully. They retail for $325 but occasionally go on sale for nearly $100 off. @M635Guy has one in Natural Shell Cordovan, which is what I want too. Like mine (and your's) TG Utility Bifold, it transitions quite beautifully. It's called the Fat Herbie and appears to last much longer, which is a benefit to shell cordovan leather.

ashland 1.jpg

danfilsondill

Reaction score
You're all set, I filled in the missing gaps for your build numbers. My only question is your rolling carry on, can you confirm the build number on it? Filson revised this model (like the Sportsman) and introduced a completely new build number. Also can you confirm the build date on your MTB? Staying on the MTB, I wasn't aware you had a 246, since I didn't see it reflected in your first picture post

Amazing thank you! Don't know why I scrambled my brain (I was looking at Medium travel bags online that's probably why), but I fixed the error I was referring to my Large Twill Carry-On Travel Bag. I updated the number as well. Thanks so much awesome to see this spreadsheet and all the data!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So this Shelter at Home stuff has me going through closets and cleaning out the house (nothing else to do) and I found an unused, pretty much new 256 briefcase in the back of a closet........SWEET!

seven20

Reaction score
I'd like to see a specificity between both noticeable era's. Talon/YKK Era only uses 3 digits and Bedrock Era introduced the 5 digit (70 + 256) build number. Although I see how that might be tedious to bifurcate
I didn’t remove the data that was there so it can be reverted, or we can have both - total and by era. I left the field that is visible as each user entered it and created column I and hid it. I only made the change bc of the note at the top asking for 3 digits for analysis purposes.

I may build something in tableau with the the data set tomorrow - would be fun to build out some additional analytics that with an advanced tool. If I get the time in the coming days and can post to my tableau public site I’ll link here.

seven20

Reaction score
So this Shelter at Home stuff has me going through closets and cleaning out the house (nothing else to do) and I found an unused, pretty much new 256 briefcase in the back of a closet........SWEET!
Wait..are you’re saying you found a 256 that you forgot you had?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wait..are you’re saying you found a 256 that you forgot you had?
That is correct, I bought it years ago, didn't really use it, stuffed it in the back of a closet ( I will admit I have a thing for briefcase bags, used a Chapman Troutbeck for years instead of the Filson) and WOW discovered it again. Happy Shelter at Home find.

seven20

Reaction score
That is correct, I bought it years ago, didn't really use it, stuffed it in the back of a closet ( I will admit I have a thing for briefcase bags, used a Chapman Troutbeck for years instead of the Filson) and WOW discovered it again. Happy Shelter at Home find.
That's amazing! Otter Green I hope.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing thank you! Don't know why I scrambled my brain (I was looking at Medium travel bags online that's probably why), but I fixed the error I was referring to my Large Twill Carry-On Travel Bag. I updated the number as well. Thanks so much awesome to see this spreadsheet and all the data!

My pleasure! I actually figured it was the #70081 that you meant to add to the chart. I was highly considering one of those several times and was actually hunting down a "Motto Tag" version in Navy. Are you still contemplating the MTB?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads