• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I love bags and luggage. Once I saw Filson I realized that was the “look” I’d been looking for all along. I bought the briefcase first and wanted something a little more formal for my job than the green or tan although I think either could have worked. Once I bought that I loved it and continued to buy only navy.

It sounds dumb but buying Filson prevents me from even looking at other brands of bags and if I ventured into other colors I’d never stop buying and I definitley don’t need anymore haha. The navy keeps me in line!

I just love Filson because you are buying for life. I want to use these and willing to let my friends borrow for whatever because I want them to get beat up, and I plan on having them all basically forever. They’ll only look better with age.

So basically I love the navy and won’t buy any others because I wouldn’t be able to stop haha

I can respect that. However I must inform you that once you're around this group for awhile, you find yourself wanting more and more. We have two very prolific Filson sellers on this forum, who contribute very regularly. I'll let them introduce themselves to you. Not trying to scare you off as you are pretty much the first major Navy "Filsonado" on this forum and we could use your insight into the color and the way it patina's through use. @Soletrane and @McRiz (as well as myself) have at least one Navy and use them frequently.

When you can I would love to learn the build date on your Journeyman. If you've read some of the forum you might know where to find it, but if you need help just ask.

danfilsondill

Reaction score
I can respect that. However I must inform you that once you're around this group for awhile, you find yourself wanting more and more. We have two very prolific Filson sellers on this forum, who contribute very regularly. I'll let them introduce themselves to you. Not trying to scare you off as you are pretty much the first major Navy "Filsonado" on this forum and we could use your insight into the color and the way it patina's through use. @Soletrane and @McRiz (as well as myself) have at least one Navy and use them frequently.

When you can I would love to learn the build date on your Journeyman. If you've read some of the forum you might know where to find it, but if you need help just ask.

Thanks so much! To be honest, as you can see most of the bags haven’t got a ton of use EXCEPT the Journeyman. I’ve been using that daily for 3 years now. Ironically it’s my least favorite because for whatever reason I just like rugged twill more and don’t like the use of the tin cloth for the front pocket—wish they made a navy Journeyman in all twill. Build date is 10/14 for me.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much! To be honest, as you can see most of the bags haven’t got a ton of use EXCEPT the Journeyman. I’ve been using that daily for 3 years now. Ironically it’s my least favorite because for whatever reason I just like rugged twill more and don’t like the use of the tin cloth for the front pocket—wish they made a navy Journeyman in all twill. Build date is 10/14 for me.

Thanks! 2014 was a good year for Filson, especially in terms of leather quality control.

2016 - 2017 was rough time period for Filson bridle leather QC issues.

I too have a similar feeling towards Tin Cloth Luggage. My first Filson (not counting that #70258 I had for 2 weeks) was an Otter Green 24 Hour. I loved the design, probably the best Filson luggage layout in history, but was not a huge fan of the slouchy appearance that Tin Cloth lends itself to. Luckily it's only a small part of the Journeyman, so it's forgivable. How come you don't use your #256 more?

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Thanks! 2014 was a good year for Filson, especially in terms of leather quality control.

2016 - 2017 was rough time period for Filson bridle leather QC issues.

I too have a similar feeling towards Tin Cloth Luggage. My first Filson (not counting that #70258 I had for 2 weeks) was an Otter Green 24 Hour. I loved the design, probably the best Filson luggage layout in history, but was not a huge fan of the slouchy appearance that Tin Cloth lends itself to. Luckily it's only a small part of the Journeyman, so it's forgivable. How come you don't use your #256 more?

I usually go to the gym every morning so I use the journeyman for work and just wear the backpack in. If I don’t go to the gym or go to the gym by my house, I’ll use the 256.

the tin cloth does have that slouch and I know it’s supposed to last longer and be stronger but it just doesn’t feel that way. The rugged twill feels like it could go on forever!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of good short reads for you Filson fans hankering for a change of scenery from your study or library walls:

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Nice read above! Realized I uploaded the wrong picture last night and was missing these last two navy bags (albeit little ones)
unnamed-5.jpg
unnamed-4.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice read above! Realized I uploaded the wrong picture last night and was missing these last two navy bags (albeit little ones)
. View attachment 1361638 View attachment 1361639

What's your thoughts on the #261? I found a brand new Navy example for you. The Zippered Tote is a favorite among this group but is also a bag that has a love it or hate it vibe attached to it. I had a 0503 YKK version in Otter Green and currently have a Tan #260 Open Tote from 1994 that is pretty much in like-new condition

My #261 in Otter Green from 2003. Sold it (and some cash) for my current Talon #264 in Tan. Sitting next to my former #266 that was sold to @CCF1897 to help fun my current Talon #246 MTB in OG.

6850D2FA-44E2-44C3-94D5-9F10E4396E0F.jpeg

Just one example of the Navy #261 for your consideration:

tote.PNG

Last edited:

danfilsondill

Reaction score
What's your thoughts on the #261? I found a brand new Navy example for you. The Zippered Tote is a favorite among this group but is also a bag that has a love it or hate it vibe attached to it. I had a 0503 YKK version in Otter Green and currently have a Tan #260 Open Tote from 1994 that is pretty much in like-new condition

My #261 in Otter Green from 2003. Sold it (and some cash) for my current Talon #264 in Tan. Sitting next to my former #266 that was sold to @CCF1897 to help fun my current Talon #246 MTB in OG.

View attachment 1361665

Just one example of the Navy #261 for your consideration:

View attachment 1361666
Awesome thanks for sending. There’s a good deal on Nordstrom rack right now for one too. Just don’t know what I’d used the tote for personally so I haven’t considered it as something I want. Just think I’d always opt for my backpack or my small duffle.
Those Talon era bags are incredible. I’m just lucky they never made navy or I would be screwed.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Talon era bags are incredible. I’m just lucky they never made navy or I would be screwed.

I'll have to remember that when you're on post #500 and you have a Talon Era on order. The question then will be Tan or Otter Green. All it takes is holding one in your hand, the quintessential leather quality, the sueded underside, the appearance of the Talon Zipper, and the old-style first edition twill shades. A hard thing to pass up. Are you anywhere near a Filson store? Odds are you can see one on display (FRD too) and see if it's peaks your interest.

This was for sale at Filson Great Jones NYC. Definitely a 1st Edition

64561FFD-98D4-43FC-A6F5-27CECB01A0D4.jpeg

danfilsondill

Reaction score
I'll have to remember that when you're on post #500 and you have a Talon Era on order. The question then will be Tan or Otter Green. All it takes is holding one in your hand, the quintessential leather quality, the sueded underside, the appearance of the Talon Zipper, and the old-style first edition twill shades. A hard thing to pass up. Are you anywhere near a Filson store? Odds are you can see one on display (FRD too) and see if it's peaks your interest.

This was for sale at Filson Great Jones NYC. Definitely a 1st Edition

View attachment 1361671

Wow that one looks great. I'm actually located near Boston so there's a store in Seaport. I'll have to go take a look when everything clears up. I wish they would make a Navy wallet too bu they only do the Tan/Otter Green.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Interesting...Filson is offering a promotion right now:

Spend $500, get $100 or spend $300 get $50. This is usually the black friday deal; don't remember seeing it in the spring before.

CCF1897

Reaction score
Interesting...Filson is offering a promotion right now:

Spend $500, get $100 or spend $300 get $50. This is usually the black friday deal; don't remember seeing it in the spring before.
I think everyone who is still open is having sales right now. All the spring collections came in and no one in the stores to buy anything. Brutal for the small guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads