• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's beautiful, Speedy. While not a wood turner, I am a woodworker and have made several pieces with natural cherry. Nothing looks as good as it ages. Love it!

In fact, I made my mom a mirror out of cherry many, many moons ago and had totally forgotten about it until I was in her house a few months back and happened upon it. Good memories.
Maple, Teak and Rosewood give it a run for its money. But those and Cherry are my favorite for sure.

@speedy611 very nice piece. I know it will be treasured.

nevadabob

Reaction score
That cross looks great!

Does anyone own, or have owned, a tote briefcase and care to comment on it? I've noticed that some of the - to me - uglier Filsons that I own are my most practical and useful. Anyone have a line on a new or like new one in tan only?

19CA32A6-B385-40B2-B4DC-D04EF194C37F.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too bad I’m not a photographer

there’s one locally being sold for $150

Buy it and sell it for $3,199 just to mess with this seller, who's clearly lost his mind. I tried reaching out to him to see if I could learn why he was asking for such a high price; he did not reply :fonz:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty funny! Yes, I’ve been toting a full XL outfitter around the house just to stay “Filson Fit”

@OtterMeanGreen - I too am really glad to hear that relations with your brother are improving. I hope that perhaps this odd time will be an opportunity for you to rebuild.

If I may: the piece I was working on for my Mum is now finished. As a pretty novice wood turner I very pleased.

View attachment 1360456
Stay well people!

What a beautifully crafted and timeless piece Speedy, incredible job. I looked into the craft of wood turning and it appeared both difficult but also very relaxing and inspiring.

Thanks for the kind words Speedy and @mgrennier . Considering that was a big reason for my 2 month hiatus last year, this recent turn of events (chaos aside) has me feeling things I had almost forgotten existed. When I look back on this event one day, it will be with great positivity and fortune.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Soletrane hope you are doing well in these times. This made me think of your early Talon Small Duffel in Tan. The leather looks exquisite, like it would in the mid 1990's.

small OG.PNG

I immediately thought that the seller mislabeled it as "Otter Green" as it appears to be more Tan in shade. However he clarifies further in his description, my kind of seller.

Small OG 2.PNG

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Soletrane hope you are doing well in these times. This made me think of your early Talon Small Duffel in Tan. The leather looks exquisite, like it would in the mid 1990's.

View attachment 1360843

I immediately thought that the seller mislabeled it as "Otter Green" as it appears to be more Tan in shade. However he clarifies further in his description, my kind of seller.

View attachment 1360845

I wish all eBay users would read the descriptions...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen apparently these are vintage now

Vintage it is not, it does have the motto tag and is discontinued, so why not just let it stand alone on those merits. Some would call that sensationalizing. It's like the loon whose asking $3,200 for a Journeyman, he has an interesting definition of the word "rare", and uses it in 90% of his listings.

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Been following this forum for a while without having registered but finally made an account. Learned so much from people here about different bags. I bought my first Filson Original Briefcase in 2017 in Navy and since then I've been hooked. I only buy Navy bags and at this point (I just got the Small Pullman today) I think I have everything I could want and won't be buying for a while! Took me about four years and a lot of ebaying (most I bought secondhand!).

Glad to finally join the forum!

unnamed-2.jpg

seven20

Reaction score
Been following this forum for a while without having registered but finally made an account. Learned so much from people here about different bags. I bought my first Filson Original Briefcase in 2017 in Navy and since then I've been hooked. I only buy Navy bags and at this point (I just got the Small Pullman today) I think I have everything I could want and won't be buying for a while! Took me about four years and a lot of ebaying (most I bought secondhand!).

View attachment 1361266
Nice collection! I have one navy piece, and I really like it enough that I’d like to add an additional navy as well in the future - if I could find a Navy 257 I would be all over it. I am still a sucker for otter Green though.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1361266

Welcome aboard! Respect to your commitment to all things Navy. What was it that drew you to that color? Have you considered introducing a little Tan or dare I say...OG into your life?

I have come a long way since 2017. I have owned a majority (6 I think) Otter Green Filson’s, but currently only own two (as seen in my Avatar). I have two Tan and one Navy, The #70083 Journeyman First Edition. Build Date: 1113. Curious to learn yours.

I too only buy secondhand, and it’s proven very successful for me.

danfilsondill

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Respect to your commitment to all things Navy. What was it that drew you to that color? Have you considered introducing a little Tan or dare I say...OG into your life?

I have come a long way since 2017. I have owned a majority (6 I think) Otter Green Filson’s, but currently only own two (as seen in my Avatar). I have two Tan and one Navy, The #70083 Journeyman First Edition. Build Date: 1113. Curious to learn yours.

I too only buy secondhand, and it’s proven very successful for me.

Honestly I love bags and luggage. Once I saw Filson I realized that was the “look” I’d been looking for all along. I bought the briefcase first and wanted something a little more formal for my job than the green or tan although I think either could have worked. Once I bought that I loved it and continued to buy only navy.

It sounds dumb but buying Filson prevents me from even looking at other brands of bags and if I ventured into other colors I’d never stop buying and I definitley don’t need anymore haha. The navy keeps me in line!

I just love Filson because you are buying for life. I want to use these and willing to let my friends borrow for whatever because I want them to get beat up, and I plan on having them all basically forever. They’ll only look better with age.

So basically I love the navy and won’t buy any others because I wouldn’t be able to stop haha

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1361266
Wow - that's a hell of a navy collection - and welcome to the forum!

Otter - this gentleman may skew your color survey all by himself!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads