• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bag stank worse than I have ever experienced. Leather handles had permanent damage (dried out, brittle patches). Brass has oxidized and transferred all over the bag. Which were a shame because it looked like it was still brand new. I'm sure it was stuck in a damp place and forgotten for a decade or two and then of course none of these issues were disclosed.
What did you do with the bag?

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I've been silently waiting for a filson/vans rucksack to come up for sale. There's one on The Ebay right now that looks like it took a one way trip to hell and back. Also, it's way overpriced, in my opinion.

lol
No doubt previous owner was a sk8ter

$800? ... better off waiting for a RFD modded Rucksack

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing what happened? I have made a lot of ebay purchases, and have still been fearful of ebay for filson

Nothing to fear if you do your due diligence before purchasing and ask as many questions as you can. Or you could just order from @GzStudio or @TinMan3 and completely rest assured you are getting exactly what’s listed, no surprises. Vintage Filson clothing I won’t buy, again, unless it’s from the aforementioned members. However I have made 4 separate EBay Filson purchases from non forum members and they were spectacular, each was in used condition. Unless you get lucky and find a brand new old stock Talon Era, there’s little other ways to enjoy that Filson Era other then buying 2nd or 3rd hand from eBay.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did you do with the bag?
Seller was stringing me along so it has been sitting on my desk, boxed up (still emanating stink). Filed a thing through eBay and they just accepted so it on its way to the post office.

seven20

Reaction score
i would purchase this bag if I could find it pre-owned. I remember when they were on BB, wish I had purchased one then but at the time I didn't need it.

1582837081479.png

GzStudio

Reaction score
What makes this bag different from a standard ruck? It looks like the straps are a bit different on the one on eBay - $800 is steep too

It's much taller than the standard rucksack and has pencil and utility pockets on the interior.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe at that price, I should sell the one I have....

I love how GZ just casually mentions that he has in his possession, one of the rarest (if not the rarest) Filson Collaboration piece on the market. :fonz: There’s a certain cool factor in that.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I love how GZ just casually mentions that he has in his possession, one of the rarest (if not the rarest) Filson Collaboration piece on the market. :fonz: There’s a certain cool factor in that.
OMG, what’s your reasoning behind that theory of yours. It being one of the rarest pieces. You’re not wrong, but there’s certainly a lot of rare or seldom seen bags out there.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, was just wondering if you managed to get the "old musty tent" smell out and were using it.
I gave it a shot after clearing it will the seller. I couldn't improve it even a little. In fact it was so bad, even my dog avoided it like the plague. Wouldn't even go into the room the day after I took it out. And the smell lingered on my hands for a few days after.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, what’s your reasoning behind that theory of yours. It being one of the rarest pieces. You’re not wrong, but there’s certainly a lot of rare or seldom seen bags out there.

It’s obviously just my opinion, however there is certainly some truth to it being its very limited production run, scarcity on secondary markets. I’ve searched everyday for years for Filson bags and have NEVER seen one pop up. That’s not been the case for every other Filson release or collaboration out there.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gave it a shot after clearing it will the seller. I couldn't improve it even a little. In fact it was so bad, even my dog avoided it like the plague. Wouldn't even go into the room the day after I took it out. And the smell lingered on my hands for a few days after.
WOW, I have a 24hr bag that has a bit of a musty odor, but not that bad. Just waiting for spring/summer to let it bask in the direct sunlight for a couple of days as nothing I have tried will get rid of the old canvas tent smell. It's not overpowering but is noticeable when up close to it.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
It’s obviously just my opinion, however there is certainly some truth to it being its very limited production run, scarcity on secondary markets. I’ve searched everyday for years for Filson bags and have NEVER seen one pop up. That’s not been the case for every other Filson release or collaboration out there.

you’re certainly dedicated in your research of all things Filson. I’m curious who actually bought them when first released. Was it really the skateboarders / action sports consumers, Vans fans, or the hardcore Filson fanatics.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you’re certainly dedicated in your research of all things Filson. I’m curious who actually bought them when first released. Was it really the skateboarders / action sports consumers, Vans fans, or the hardcore Filson fanatics.

Haha thanks, I try.

A good question. Who ever bought them sure are holding onto them. the same good be said for Filson x Burton, were there really snowboarders and skiers who bought them? Unlikely I think. Nice new Avatar pic btw

P.S. one of these days @Kwaker is going to update me on his Burton Collaboration roller.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads