• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Road trip to bourbon country with my medium dry duffle and the Journeyman. the ”dry” part of the dry duffle is unnecessary, but I like the size and weight of this bag.
7FECAA11-B7B6-4ED9-95B6-97F0447A01FF.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Road trip to bourbon country with my medium dry duffle and the Journeyman. the ”dry” part of the dry duffle is unnecessary, but I like the size and weight of this bag.
View attachment 1344032

Are you going for the Bourbon or something else? How far of a road trip is it?

I am planning a trip during the late spring early summer to the Bourbon Trail. I have a buddy that lives 20 minutes outside the major distilleries. He works for a company that builds and repairs the machinery that makes the White Oak Barrels for some big distilleries. I'll have to let you know when I'm planning on going, so we can meet up.

Journeyman is looking good Mgrennier, it's fading really nicely.

Speaking of the Journeyman, here’s mine with one of my new Smokey pins. I think it’s the perfect placement and the finish looks great against the navy.

F52F91CC-56ED-4553-999C-3FDBC88F1FD3.jpeg

D2033A46-10CC-4D25-A277-6DDC9B54501F.jpeg

Also here’s a closeup of my new #260 with its Smokey pin. The red really shines next to the Tan and amber-like leather shade

00851EB4-E518-456B-9CC1-70BAD826A568.jpeg

2E19FE35-A9C1-4AA8-8627-369A90FAFA40.jpeg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am planning a trip during the late spring early summer to the Bourbon Trail. I have a buddy that lives 20 minutes outside the major distilleries. He works for a company that builds and repairs the machinery that makes the White Oak Barrels for some big distilleries. I'll have to let you know when I'm planning on going, so we can meet up.

Speaking of the Journeyman, here’s mine with one of my new Smokey pins. I think it’s the perfect placement and the finish looks great against the navy.

View attachment 1344085

View attachment 1344086

Also here’s a closeup of my new #260 with its Smokey pin. The red really shines next to the Tan and amber-like leather shade

View attachment 1344088

View attachment 1344089
We are about 4 hours to Louisville. This is my 4th time going. Pretty amazing. This trip will include tours and visits to: Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve, Peerless (one of our favorites), Old Forester, Bulleit, and Angels Envy.
Plus we will have an old fashioned at Doc Crowe’s which is about as classic as you can get!
Should be fun.

seven20

Reaction score

View attachment 1344085

View attachment 1344086

View attachment 1344088

View attachment 1344089
The journeyman is my next bag for myself - and I am so torn in color. I have mostly OG bags now. Was thinking tan, but the blue also looks nice. Tough decision.
Pins look good! Btw, crazy story about the car and glad you’re okay.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The journeyman is my next bag for myself - and I am so torn in color. I have mostly OG bags now. Was thinking tan, but the blue also looks nice. Tough decision.
Pins look good! Btw, crazy story about the car and glad you’re okay.

Thanks!

I was back and forth on what color to buy if and when a first edition Journeyman popped up on the Bay, as seen on many pages on this forum. I was even considering a first edition Brooks Brothers Tan w/ Tartan inlays. I wafted on a couple of Otter Green firsts that were incredible deals. When I decided on Navy, I wasn’t going to chance another loss, so I committed to buying and the cards aligned for me. Only paid $220 luckily. To me I think the Navy Tin Cloth patina’s the best on the Journeyman

As much as I love Otter Green (it is apart of my name after all), it’s awesome having some variety and makes my Otter Green look even better when contrasted next to Tan or Navy. With this #260 I now have just as many Tan as I do OG. However I am still team d’OG

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are about 4 hours to Louisville. This is my 4th time going. Pretty amazing. This trip will include tours and visits to: Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve, Peerless (one of our favorites), Old Forester, Bulleit, and Angels Envy.
Plus we will have an old fashioned at Doc Crowe’s which is about as classic as you can get!
Should be fun.
If you end up with some Weller or GTS scores I may literally die of jealousy.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone see this listing on The Bay recently? Is this guy serious? Unless this was owned by a famous photographer, there's no reason to ask so much for something you can buy (currently) for under $500. Also this guy is clearly ripping off the posting style of @GzStudio and @TinMan3 . I even tried contacting him to explain why he was asking for so much, in a none combative way of course. Obviously he never got back to me. Also what makes this bag "rare"? Don't even answer that because if you have a look on his account, he uses that word in almost every listing.

View attachment 1343915

On sale at same time.

View attachment 1343916

EDIT: I just saw that it sold, please tell me he ended his listing himself by listing it as sold, because if someone willingly paid that price (without research) then they deserve to have their finances removed immediately. The extra $20 for shipping is the epitome of greed

View attachment 1343917

That listing reminds me of the old Hee Haw skit where Junior Samples had his big stack of watermelons marked "$1 million each."

Roy Clark: "Junior, is that sign right?"
Junior: "Yep."
Roy: "Junior, how many watermelons do you expect to sell at that price?"
Junior: "I just need to sell one."

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I was back and forth on what color to buy if and when a first edition Journeyman popped up on the Bay, as seen on many pages on this forum. I was even considering a first edition Brooks Brothers Tan w/ Tartan inlays. I wafted on a couple of Otter Green firsts that were incredible deals. When I decided on Navy, I wasn’t going to chance another loss, so I committed to buying and the cards aligned for me. Only paid $220 luckily. To me I think the Navy Tin Cloth patina’s the best on the Journeyman

As much as I love Otter Green (it is apart of my name after all), it’s awesome having some variety and makes my Otter Green look even better when contrasted next to Tan or Navy. With this #260 I now have just as many Tan as I do OG. However I am still team d’OG

My Navy Journeyman always gets positive comments and queries from the SAs when I walk into a Filson store. Apparently, it wasn’t offered very long. It’s really grown on me over time and use.

Last edited:

seven20

Reaction score
My Navy Journeyman always gets positive comments and queries from the SAs when I walk into a Filson store. Apparently, it wasn’t offered very long. It’s really grown on member time and use.
wish we had a filson store in Atlanta

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be fun.

Buffalo Trace is my favorite distillery, they have such a wide portfolio. I hear the are the most lax when it comes to free tastings. Woodford on the other hand I've heard mixed reviews, which could possibly be a shame because that was the Bourbon that got me into the hobby. I don't currently have any bottles in my growing collection. Old Forester, however, is quickly becoming a go-to. Their Rye expression took the industry by surprise last year and became an instant hit. It's now one of my favorite Rye's. My next acquisition is most likely going to be the OF 1920 Prohibition Style Bourbon (115 Proof).

Apparently, it wasn’t offered very long

All the more reason to love my Navy First Edition even more now. I use it everyday since I now work remotely and take full advantage of all of those well-thought of pockets. However I mostly work out of my vehicle and not from an upscale cafe, which has plenty of positives but many negatives as well. I miss using my 257 and can feel a resurgence coming soon.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buffalo Trace is my favorite distillery, they have such a wide portfolio. I hear the are the most lax when it comes to free tastings. Woodford on the other hand I've heard mixed reviews, which could possibly be a shame because that was the Bourbon that got me into the hobby. I don't currently have any bottles in my growing collection. Old Forester, however, is quickly becoming a go-to. Their Rye expression took the industry by surprise last year and became an instant hit. It's now one of my favorite Rye's. My next acquisition is most likely going to be the OF 1920 Prohibition Style Bourbon (115 Proof).

All the more reason to love my Navy First Edition even more now. I use it everyday since I now work remotely and take full advantage of all of those well-thought of pockets. However I mostly work out of my vehicle and not from an upscale cafe, which has plenty of positives but many negatives as well. I miss using my 257 and can feel a resurgence coming soon.

I have a VP briefcase in between the 256 and 257 in size and used it for a couple of months. The soft canvas briefcase format was good for those few days around the holidays where I had to carry something a bit bulky to/from the office (food, gifts). But in my daily use, I found I just prefer the rigidity, form and yes, presence of my all leather Filson field satchel. And for travel, my Journeyman backpack has proven nearly perfect as a 'backpack briefcase'. The canvas briefcase doesn't seem to have solid place in my rotation, oddly enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics