• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... Take my tan one on dog walks, use the fishing waist bag for dog treats and stuff. The small field bag is for bringing back stuff dog and I find (mostly rocks for wife's rock garden, but other stuff as well) being a Filson bag, I am confident that I can overstuff it, overload it and it will hold up.

@audog the first time I read that it entered my brain as "... for bringing back dog stuff ..." and I thought, "yuck! I at least hope he puts it in a baggie first." Then I re-read.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@audog the first time I read that it entered my brain as "... for bringing back dog stuff ..." and I thought, "yuck! I at least hope he puts it in a baggie first." Then I re-read.
It is tin cloth, could handle it, but what a mess. When walking dog I do take plastic doggie stuff bags, in my fishing pouch waist pouch thing, along with the dog treats and clicker. The field bag is for things like rocks I want or picking up plastic bottles/beer cans to dispose of them properly instead of letting them litter the pathways.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with cleaning the green brass oxidation from twill?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not specifically. I do generally find the twill doesn’t absorb stuff due to the wax impregnation. So a little dish soap and gentle scrubbing often gets it clean. Failing that a solvent like white spirit can help, but this will tend to “melt” the wax so needs to be used sparingly.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I’m probably reaching here. Does anybody have an all leather Small Field Bag that has some wear on it? I really want to see what that piece looks like with some miles on it and I’ve yet to find a decent picture.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
E36A9FF0-B927-4351-9DB1-2FD6E6CE7343.jpeg
Don’t recall seeing this one before

Wandering

Reaction score
A vinegar and salt mixture will do the trick. Rub gently. Finish with a water wipedown afterwards

Alternatively you could use Autosol polish but that will give it a strong shine, which is perhaps undesirable on a Filson bag.

Edit: Nvm that last part, I realise it's for the twill. Just try the vinegar and salt, it's gentle enough. But you will need to reproof with wax afterwards.

Hope this helps

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A vinegar and salt mixture will do the trick. Rub gently. Finish with a water wipedown afterwards

Alternatively you could use Autosol polish but that will give it a strong shine, which is perhaps undesirable on a Filson bag.

Edit: Nvm that last part, I realise it's for the twill. Just try the vinegar and salt, it's gentle enough. But you will need to reproof with wax afterwards.

Hope this helps
I did the vinegar and vodka, didnt come close to making a dent. Even my dog wouldn't go near it. I bailed on it.

Wandering

Reaction score
I did the vinegar and vodka, didnt come close to making a dent. Even my dog wouldn't go near it. I bailed on it.
I'm no chemist but it could very well be that the vodka interferes with the vinegar.
I've got many expensive decorative brass items and with almost all of these came care instructions referring to the saly and vinegar solution. Vinegar dissolves the oxidisation and salt gives it a bit of rubbing power.

I'd try again if I were you. Perhaps soak it even.

And if that doesn't work, Saphir Omninettoyant could help; it's a suede cleaner/ shampoo but rather gentle. It wouldn't hurt the twill.

Good luck

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no chemist but it could very well be that the vodka interferes with the vinegar.
I've got many expensive decorative brass items and with almost all of these came care instructions referring to the saly and vinegar solution. Vinegar dissolves the oxidisation and salt gives it a bit of rubbing power.

I'd try again if I were you. Perhaps soak it even.

And if that doesn't work, Saphir Omninettoyant could help; it's a suede cleaner/ shampoo but rather gentle. It wouldn't hurt the twill.

Good luck
Sorry, didn't use both Vinegar and Vodka at the same time. Attempted each on its own attempt for progress.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen are we never going to get to see the mystery bag?

Mea Culpa Mea Culpa!! Haven’t been around much lately. My car was involved in a T-bone accident early last week, so the mind has been adrift since. I somehow managed to make it nearly 12 years of ownership without a serious accident in the most densely populated state in the country. Oh well, at least I’m not in the wrong and his insurance is covering everything, even my swanky new Nissan rental :lol:

Anyway, you asked and I will deliver on what I promised, sorry for the wait.

Me and @GzStudio had worked this deal out last month, after he reached out to me from a post I made on the forum concerning a particular bag I’ve been searching for. Without further delay here is my newest Filson, 5th in my current collection, and third purchase from GZ...

6F7FEB24-618A-4AE6-9902-E8255AA527A3.jpeg

It’s a DEFINITE 1994 Build Date First Edition #260.

1781811F-759D-419E-B47A-556DC7C06208.jpeg

This was featured in an earlier GZ post actually holding some blueprints, however I am tasking it to hold my bourbon bottles, whiskey glasses, travel humidor, and cigar accessories.
A5AD122D-B598-4155-9033-BB5ECAE0AB62.jpeg

How do I know it’s definitely a 1994 (or even 1993) build date, since 99% of the Talon Era’s featured sans Build Tags? May I introduce you to Mr. Receipt (carefully preserved in pocket):
677099C1-E5FE-440B-982A-E2A506DD5613.jpeg

What a guy GZ is, even threw in these Smokey pins in one of the pockets. I’ve already made use of two of them:

2F4EDF83-649F-4E47-878D-719BE26F0B95.jpeg

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Sunday everybody! It’s sunny and 55 in Chicago today so me and my “hunting” dog were out for a stroll. Vintage Flannel and wool cruiser vest, Filson dog collar for Chauncey. Raw denim and red wings of course. Not pictured, Smokey Bear Ebbets field flannels hat and Smokey Bear shinola watch and Benchmade Valet knife. Hope you’re all enjoying your Sunday as much as I am!

DB3073A1-BCEB-474C-949F-661F94F16584.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads