• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Is this a new Filson product? Apart from the Filson Boot Oil, last I remember, Filson sold Obenauf’s HDLP for leather care. (now sold out on website). Nice branding and the 3 current reviews are positive.

View attachment 1336685

View attachment 1336686
It’s been a little while. I remember using it last summer at one of their in-store demo events.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s been a little while. I remember using it last summer at one of their in-store demo events.

Hmmmm must be why I can’t remember the last time Filson stocked Obenauf’s, because why would they if they have their own conditioner now.

After showing my sister my growing Filson collection this past week, she was very impressed and fascinated with the history of the company. Funny how our reticular activating system works, because the very next day she texted me this:

5989EB41-C037-4B3B-B40F-9E8C94407976.png

seven20

Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing how the top was stained with mulch. That’s a different one

Flo3000

Reaction score
Zip Tote Mod:

hi there, any one of you ever modified his zip tote with a shoulder strap?

I already cut the leather pieces and found a matching D Ring but I an bit shure about the placement of the attachment points.

so my question... any ideas, inspiration, experiance?

Thanks flo

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zip Tote Mod:

hi there, any one of you ever modified his zip tote with a shoulder strap?

I already cut the leather pieces and found a matching D Ring but I an bit shure about the placement of the attachment points.

so my question... any ideas, inspiration, experiance?

Thanks flo

I guess the first question is why not just use the long handles to pit it over your shoulder? Perhaps you want the cross body option a longer strap gives.

attachment points - just below the zip on the sides seems logical - just like the briefcases. Worth noting the larger briefcases have a square leather patch sewn the the bag, then the D ring patch sewn and riveted to the square patch. This spreads the load.
Will you have someone else like a cobbler do this? Otherwise you’ll need an industrial sewing machine.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in thoughts on three disco tuned models: large Pullman, medium travel bag (246) and the short-lived large twill carry on (70081).

The latter has zips three-fourths of the way around but has a roll back storm flap.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in thoughts on three disco tuned models: large Pullman, medium travel bag (246) and the short-lived large twill carry on (70081).

The latter has zips three-fourths of the way around but has a roll back storm flap.

If I can recall past feedback:

Pullman - pros: high capacity, clamshell style good for larger clothing items like a sportcoat; cons: heavy and bulky when full; may not meet carryon size requirements for airlines.

246 - pros: versatile size, lots of pocket; cons: boxy shape when full may not be optimal for shoulder or hand carrying for longer duration

Twill Carryon: pros: clamshell style good for clothing but less bulky than large Pullman, strap attachment points on side rather than both on one side of bag; cons: button down rain flap is odd and overdesigned to some, model was introduced in a period when there were a lot of leather QC issues anecdotally.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Am I save in concluding you would regard your 242 superior in form and function?

BTW, there’s a 242 on the bay right now without the interior tie down straps.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Am I save in concluding you would regard your 242 superior in form and function?

BTW, there’s a 242 on the bay right now without the interior tie down straps.
I have the 242 and large Pullman. The 242 is most like the twill carry on in your original question in terms of shape and volume. Both are sort of suitcase shaped, both have large flaps. 242 is a clamshell, twill CO isn’t. One has a top handle, the other a pair of side handles like the 256.

In the real world there is little to separate them beyond preference and aesthetics. I happen to prefer the looks of the 242.
Cost may be a factor - no idea on US pricing on either, nor their general availability.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say is comparable to the large twill probably in space
I have the 242 and large Pullman. The 242 is most like the twill carry on in your original question in terms of shape and volume. Both are sort of suitcase shaped, both have large flaps. 242 is a clamshell, twill CO isn’t. One has a top handle, the other a pair of side handles like the 256.

In the real world there is little to separate them beyond preference and aesthetics. I happen to prefer the looks of the 242.
Cost may be a factor - no idea on US pricing on either, nor their general availability.

My mistake - I thought the twill CO was clamshell (i.e. zips open in the middle like a suitcase and not top loading like a duffle or 246).

I was going to say the same that the 242 and the twill CO are fairly comparable. Comes down to personal preferences. I might give the edge to the 242 (if in great condition given the age) since it was from an arguably better period in terms of leather quality. I also think the styling is more classic than the twill CO but that is a personal opinion.

I rhink the 246 is a general purpose travel bag. But the 242 and twill CO may have the edge for carrying folded clothes due to the suitcase shape.

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did filson make any recent updates to the 232? Why is it now $350?

Oh man, I wish Filson price increases were reflected in updates or improvements!

On a positive note, it might still be available for substantially less from other online vendors.
It often takes a while for the other vendors to catch-up with the latest Filson price increase.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I wish Filson price increases were reflected in updates or improvements!

On a positive note, it might still be available for substantially less from other online vendors.
It often takes a while for the other vendors to catch-up with the latest Filson price increase.
Thanks - got what I needed over $100 off current retail!

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are the tin cloth coats made? Seems like they are always out of stock....poor planning....coronavirus issue?

seven20

Reaction score
We’re there any changes from the 72 hour briefcase to the 24 hour briefcase other than name?

I happened into a local retailer today that offered anything in the Filson line for a great deal locally. They have both of these bags so wanted to hear front he braintrust before i purchase

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads