• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any recommendations for cleaning the inside of a 48hr duffle? Using it at the hospital for the days I am on call for work.
I'm assuming you mean a general, routine type of cleaning. Nothing biological or anything like that. I just use a hand held vacuum to vac out the detritus, and then a damp cloth and maybe some Lysol wipes if it's really dirty. But that's just me.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure that anyone cares to see a picture of the crotch of my pants but here you go. Don’t worry, I took them off to take the picture, didn’t try going selfie style.

I didn’t know until today that Filson still utilized Talon zippers on any of their current products. Yes these are brand new (2019 I would guess) dry tin work pants in Raven color. I was tired of working on my house and trashing my jeans so I figured a pair of repairable pants was a good idea. Plus it gave me an excuse to buy something Filson ;). Anyways, thought you Talon lovers like myself would be interested that they do in fact still make some products with Talon zips! And I’ve only worn them once, but they are comfortable out of the box and feel like great quality.

D2FD09F1-FBEC-42E6-AB7D-644A4A5CA667.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure that anyone cares to see a picture of the crotch of my pants but here you go. Don’t worry, I took them off to take the picture, didn’t try going selfie style.

I didn’t know until today that Filson still utilized Talon zippers on any of their current products. Yes these are brand new (2019 I would guess) dry tin work pants in Raven color. I was tired of working on my house and trashing my jeans so I figured a pair of repairable pants was a good idea. Plus it gave me an excuse to buy something Filson ;). Anyways, thought you Talon lovers like myself would be interested that they do in fact still make some products with Talon zips! And I’ve only worn them once, but they are comfortable out of the box and feel like great quality.

View attachment 1334368

Nice! Does it specify which production country they are like the Talons of old do?

CCF1897

Reaction score

View attachment 1334368
The featherweight down jacket I got last season has a Talon also.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got the dry shelter cloth shorts? Could you tell if you’d recommend? How is the sizing? True or a bit small?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone got the dry shelter cloth shorts? Could you tell if you’d recommend? How is the sizing? True or a bit small?

I had a pair a few years ago. They were most definitely not vanity sized.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair a few years ago. They were most definitely not vanity sized.
Thanks. Just ordered a pair on 50% discount and sized up. Hopefully they will be good and rugged for a trip that’s coming up.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone carried the zippered tote around all day while traveling - is it a pain with no shoulder strap? Is the medium field bag better? I need room to put camera and a few lenses, water, etc inside

I can get the zippered totes straps up on my shoulder and it used to be my main personal item, but since getting the Rucksack, I usually travel with the Rucksack as my personal item now. I prefer to spread the weight on both shoulders.
So I just received a Filson Ranger but I'm unsure if I'll keep it. It just seems very large for every day use. Can anyone who has one chime in? Perhaps the Journeyman would be better

I agree and the reason I am trying to unload mine. With the size it also doesn't fill any holes in my collection of packs. It is also more difficult to get things in and out of since it has not external pockets.

I've always found that the zippered tote doesn't always stay put on the shoulders when I'm carrying it so it's definitely subjective. I use it quite a bit as a carry-all for both my two young girls in and out of the city.

I've also used it to carry an insert with my DSLR (Nikon FF + 24-70 F2.8) but as others have suggested without an actual cross body strap it does get heavy after a while especially if you are also shooting with it on.

Great bag and extremely versatile but you do have to watch what you put in there otherwise the weight does add up.
Agreed on these points.
The zippered tote is as someone said the perfect ‘personal item’ for under the airplane seat. It is easier to store and access that random assortment of food, beverage, electronics and even clothing that you often need on a long flight or ride than any other bag I have tried. It just typically loses out to a backpack (for me) for its greater utility - particularly if you have to walk a lot - once you get to your destination. Though I find the zippered tote pretty comfortable to carry all day as long as it isn’t loaded up to 15-20lbs.
Agreed on this.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, really liked the Carhartt advert for the light hearted tone. The modern Filson catalogs have great photos and high production values, for sure. But for me, I find it a bit too contrived with the artful shots of people ranching, fishing, and welding. Too obvious that it is primarily targeting an audience who does none of these things (which is pretty obvious if you look at where they are opening the new Filson stores, I guess). I sort of liked the old homey Filson catalogs with the pictures of the gear and clothing from the 90s, truth be told.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, really liked the Carhartt advert for the light hearted tone. The modern Filson catalogs have great photos and high production values, for sure. But for me, I find it a bit too contrived with the artful shots of people ranching, fishing, and welding. Too obvious that it is primarily targeting an audience who does none of these things (which is pretty obvious if you look at where they are opening the new Filson stores, I guess). I sort of liked the old homey Filson catalogs with the pictures of the gear and clothing from the 90s, truth be told.
I have to disagree with this for one reason. I feel like the new catalogs offer something that the old catalogs never did. The recent one from last summer on the forest service hot shots and the most recent on maritime have a ton of awesome information that truly reads like an informative magazine. It’s well written and worthy of sitting on a coffee table to read the different articles. Sure, a lot of it is fantasizing about jumping out of helicopters with parachutes and roaming the Puget Sound, but the information adds value in my personal opinion. I could do without some of the dramatics, but can appreciate the level of effort that a Filson is current investing in their catalogs.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with this for one reason. I feel like the new catalogs offer something that the old catalogs never did. The recent one from last summer on the forest service hot shots and the most recent on maritime have a ton of awesome information that truly reads like an informative magazine. It’s well written and worthy of sitting on a coffee table to read the different articles. Sure, a lot of it is fantasizing about jumping out of helicopters with parachutes and roaming the Puget Sound, but the information adds value in my personal opinion. I could do without some of the dramatics, but can appreciate the level of effort that a Filson is current investing in their catalogs.

I like the imagery and content too. The thing with commercial divers wearing tin cloth underwater a year or so back was cool.
All that said, this sort of content marketing is a prerequisite now for any brand that wants to showcase its integrity / authenticity / heritage - and justify its price point. So to some extent it has to be aspirational, but therein lies the falsehood of all advertising. In a world of hyperbole, fake news and all out lies, presenting a healthy and useful aspiration like fly fishing or whatever isn’t so bad!
Ultimately I’d rather have this and careful choice (by me) of what I wear and carry, than the disposability and blandness of mall fashion.
Now please excuse me as I go back to finding that bear I saw in my back yard...

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the imagery and content too. The thing with commercial divers wearing tin cloth underwater a year or so back was cool.
All that said, this sort of content marketing is a prerequisite now for any brand that wants to showcase its integrity / authenticity / heritage - and justify its price point. So to some extent it has to be aspirational, but therein lies the falsehood of all advertising. In a world of hyperbole, fake news and all out lies, presenting a healthy and useful aspiration like fly fishing or whatever isn’t so bad!
Ultimately I’d rather have this and careful choice (by me) of what I wear and carry, than the disposability and blandness of mall fashion.
Now please excuse me as I go back to finding that bear I saw in my back yard...
I also like the content that is being presented in the catalogs. Part educational, part aspirational and very much supportive of where they think the brand needs to go. Do we really think that the average construction, forestry or maritime worker is going to buck up and pay $450 for a Filson tin cloth coat? Probably not - there seems to be a lot more Carhartt, Dickies or even Walmart-branded gear on those types of guys than you'd see wearing Filson.

But then again, you don't see a lot of John Lobb or Alden boots on the average businessman in this country either. Those brands clearly set their prices to be aspirational, while also attempting to reflect the quality of the product. (or at least attempt to influence the perception of the product).

I'm totally ok with Filson continuing to position themselves as an aspirational brand. The efforts to portray that brand in their catalogs is OK in my book. They're really well done!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a “new” Talon Era First Edition Filson to share, and rather then just reveal it, I thought I’d have some fun with you guys. So let’s play a game, a fun little challenge to test your Talon Era leather knowledge and memories, as I’ve already shared 3 out of 4 of these over the years. @GzStudio has an advantage because he sold me all but one in play ?

Each Filson is from the Talon Era, and only a carefully tailored shot of the Bridle Leather is shown. Once the guessing ceases I will reveal the mystery bag.

What’s in play:

Talon Era Otter Green #257
Talon Era Otter Green #246
Talon Era Tan #264
Talon Era ??????????????

Just match the letter with what bag you think it belongs to, enjoy & good luck:

A.
DB426622-AE69-4966-8BEB-175C2D69282B.jpeg

B.
BBF3F89E-7885-43EF-9984-0C952C9B20F6.jpeg

C.
99F19DE6-684B-405D-9F82-E896907114DB.jpeg

D.
F0B226E8-AB48-4364-B940-5D4C735614FE.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads