• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 256 and took it on my last trip, found it a bit too small, 258 is a little larger... i do already own the zippered tote, but was considering the field bag for a better walk around bag. My camera is water proof, etc so i'm not worried if the water bottle sweats, etc.
The field bag isn’t vastly bigger than a 256. It’s a bit deeper but also fractionally less wide side to side. But it’s a great bag, I like mine a lot. Beware too the top opening is artificially reduced with an ovalised entry so stuff doesn’t escape if the top flap isn’t buckled.

side by side 256 and 232
8791040F-B8EE-4336-BB17-D442895E96C8.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The field bag isn’t vastly bigger than a 256. It’s a bit deeper but also fractionally less wide side to side. But it’s a great bag, I like mine a lot. Beware too the top opening is artificially reduced with an ovalised entry so stuff doesn’t escape if the top flap isn’t buckled.

side by side 256 and 232
View attachment 1333363
I love my medium field bags (have 2) one is for taking along on dog walks in the fields, in case I want to bring something home, and to carry water. The other one is in the trunk of my car holding jumper cables/flares/small tool kit/and things like that, in case trouble on the road.

McRiz

Reaction score
Has anyone carried the zippered tote around all day while traveling - is it a pain with no shoulder strap? Is the medium field bag better? I need room to put camera and a few lenses, water, etc inside
I have both the medium field bag and a zippered tote. On one trip, I used the medium field bag to carry a DSLR and a lens using a camera insert. I can't say that I enjoyed it for that purpose for two reasons. First, to get to access to your camera, you need to inconveniently unbuckle two straps each time. That was a pain. Second, my back started aching after a day of carrying the bag (with the camera) around. Unlike a backpack, the load sits on your lower back making the bag seem heavier. For a lighter load (clothes, bottle water), this is a non-issue.

As for the zippered tote, I have used it on one trip to carry a lighter load (i.e., no camera). The zippered tote is more accessible because you don't have to unbuckle two straps to get inside the bag - just a zipper. Although I didn't carry a "heavy" load, carrying the zippered tote on one shoulder feels better because the load is just under your arm and if needed, you can use both your shoulder (with the strap) and your arm (underneath the bag) to distribute the weight.

All of this is subjective.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just received a Filson Ranger but I'm unsure if I'll keep it. It just seems very large for every day use. Can anyone who has one chime in? Perhaps the Journeyman would be better

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just received a Filson Ranger but I'm unsure if I'll keep it. It just seems very large for every day use. Can anyone who has one chime in? Perhaps the Journeyman would be better

@Soletrane has both the Ranger & Journeyman and uses both, he can definitely assist you. The Journeyman is my current favorite EDC. The combination of Rugged Twill, Tin Cloth, Brass, and Bridle Leather is exceptional. Granted the new Journeyman editions are without some Bridle leather, brass rivets, and a convenient pocket, so my advice would be to search for a first or 2nd edition.

dangaa

Reaction score
Has anyone carried the zippered tote around all day while traveling - is it a pain with no shoulder strap? Is the medium field bag better? I need room to put camera and a few lenses, water, etc inside

I've always found that the zippered tote doesn't always stay put on the shoulders when I'm carrying it so it's definitely subjective. I use it quite a bit as a carry-all for both my two young girls in and out of the city.

I've also used it to carry an insert with my DSLR (Nikon FF + 24-70 F2.8) but as others have suggested without an actual cross body strap it does get heavy after a while especially if you are also shooting with it on.

Great bag and extremely versatile but you do have to watch what you put in there otherwise the weight does add up.

kbui

Reaction score

I haven't carried the zippered tote all day, but I use it regularly as a weekend bag and for groceries. For the groceries, I've filled it with canned beans (maybe 15lbs) and easily carried it home on a 12 block walk. One modification I did with the tote was to add the strap handle with snaps (unsure exact term/name)...it makes it easier to carry as the straps are kept together and provides additional padding.

With compression bags, the zippered tote is pretty much all I need for recreational travel (no suit or change of shoes) as I can get away with 3 days if I pack efficiently.

For cameras, I use the small field bag with a modified insert. I use a Sony A7 series camera and it'll hold 1 additional lens with camera inside the bag. If I keep the camera out, I can add an additional 1-2 lenses/strobes depending on type.

kbui

Reaction score
I know exactly what you are referring to, but can't find it on Filson site. Do they still make it available as an accessory?

I do not know if it is still available. I got mine off of eBay, but a call to the main number might yield something. For my use, that little handle piece made the tote significantly better.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not know if it is still available. I got mine off of eBay, but a call to the main number might yield something. For my use, that little handle piece made the tote significantly better.
I don't really "Need" one, but like the concept and my 24hr can get overloaded sometimes and I think it might help.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The zippered tote is as someone said the perfect ‘personal item’ for under the airplane seat. It is easier to store and access that random assortment of food, beverage, electronics and even clothing that you often need on a long flight or ride than any other bag I have tried. It just typically loses out to a backpack (for me) for its greater utility - particularly if you have to walk a lot - once you get to your destination. Though I find the zippered tote pretty comfortable to carry all day as long as it isn’t loaded up to 15-20lbs.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Soletrane has both the Ranger & Journeyman and uses both, he can definitely assist you. The Journeyman is my current favorite EDC. The combination of Rugged Twill, Tin Cloth, Brass, and Bridle Leather is exceptional. Granted the new Journeyman editions are without some Bridle leather, brass rivets, and a convenient pocket, so my advice would be to search for a first or 2nd edition.

The Journeyman is a great substitute for a briefcase on a business trip. It has lots of organization and is more structured. It also makes a good day bag for exploring a new city or a day hike. One of my most used Filson.

The Ranger is more a general purpose backpack. Some organization including a laptop pocket but mostly a large compartment to haul a lot of stuff. I would use it for leisure travel. Either for a one bag solution for a shorter trip. Or as a secondary bag to a checked bag on an overseas flight like when I flew from US to Australia.

The Ranger has a lot more capacity than a Journeyman due to the size and lack of compartmentalization. But definitely I would not use for business as it only has one hanging internal pouch (sole pocket) which impedes access to the laptop pocket.

My teenage son uses (abuses) a Ranger for school because he carries around an enormous amount of textbooks and notebooks each day (far more than can fit in a Journeyman or a typical Jansport daypack). The drawstring cord frayed away but the straps show no sign of tearing even though he often one straps it. It has my respect.

Last edited:

Zeke90

Reaction score
Any recommendations for cleaning the inside of a 48hr duffle? Using it at the hospital for the days I am on call for work.

linablair

Reaction score
Did some fly tying this morning at the fly shop. My compartment bag comes in clutch for fly tying materials and tools when I’m not tying at home!

Attachments

• 98EAC8FD-4E2A-4A90-BBE8-0C193BA42573.jpeg
    98EAC8FD-4E2A-4A90-BBE8-0C193BA42573.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 86

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads