• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I agree as well. What really irritates me, though, is Filson has really pushed up the price of the tin cloth bags in the last couple of years. There used to be quite a delta between a tin version and twill version of the same bag. Now, not so much.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure it moves the conversation forward, but here’s a thought on the twill 48. If the pockets are the challenge, make a single long pocket across the front. Suddenly you have an oversized 258 don’t you? Remove the padding of the 258 and lengthen the handles for shoulder carry and you have a credible 48hr in twill. Tweak the details like internal organization, storm flap and hard base and away you go.
Yes, and then go sportsman on the inside with a couple of snap dividers built in. Ooh I’m liking this already! I’ve always thought it was a shame that Filson never used us as a free focus group. Lol

originalhype

Reaction score
Here is my collection so far.
from top to bottom

Filson pullman
Medium travel bag in navy (this is the time when navy and brown where not rigid and no structured)
Small duffle in brown (brown is now rigid and structured)
rucksack in green and tan
tote
4 travel tray (at the time it was on sale for $10 each, so bought all 4 colors)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and then go sportsman on the inside with a couple of snap dividers built in. Ooh I’m liking this already! I’ve always thought it was a shame that Filson never used us as a free focus group. Lol
To continue this "focus group-type" conversation. I always thought the perfect EDC would be the 24 hour bag in twill. I've made that comment a few times. Thus, it's so far fallen on deaf ears, so let me jump in to the 48 hour bag discussion:

I think of the similarities and differences between the 48 hour bag and a regular (new) medium duffle. Both are designed for long weekends (although the medium duffle can probably hold more). Both open with a zipper at the top, both can be either hand-carried or via shoulder strap, and both are called duffles.

However, it's the refinements that make the 48 hour bag more attractive to many. I think the shape, more upright than round, is more appealing. The pockets on the outside certainly make it more functional for airplane travel (an ipad fits nicely in the slot pockets on the front) and the structured bottom give it more of a 'suitcase' feel than a duffle-bag feel.

It feels more like a grown-up version of a duffle bag than a traditional duffle, which is one reason why it would seem to appeal to the affluent business traveler marketplace.

Would the twill make it heavier?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my collection so far.
from top to bottom

Filson pullman
Medium travel bag in navy (this is the time when navy and brown where not rigid and no structured)
Small duffle in brown (brown is now rigid and structured)
rucksack in green and tan
tote
4 travel tray (at the time it was on sale for $10 each, so bought all 4 colors)
View attachment 1321077
[/QUOT
Nice collection - I've always wanted one of those travel trays - but never pulled the trigger. Would be a nice little thing to have during my frequent hotel stays.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also looked at one of those Travel Trays, at $10 I would definitely have pulled the trigger. I instead decided that if I were to buy a Travel Tray it would instead be a Red Oxx

Bigger, Squarer, but not twill

Love the finger board, interesting EDC item

red oxx.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If Stanley Kohl's still had a majority stake in Filson I have no doubt we would've been considered

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would the twill make it heavier?

With the elimination of that ridiculous sewed in board on the bottom of the 48HR, it would certainly save on weight space needed for the Rugged Twill

Speaking of #258, this has gotta be one of the best patinated Talon Era Filsons I have seen, reminds me of @GzStudio avatar.

winner.PNG

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rymanocerous doesn't get much better then this with a Tan Talon Pullman, albeit a small mark on the front

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DNSamurai

Reaction score
That’s a Wool Small Duffle in i believe Gray & Black (GB color code). Its Build Date was December 2011. Is it yours or one you aspire to buy?

It's mine. Bought it on a whim. Were these a limited edition? I hadn't seen one before. Very nice bag; it seems practically brand new. Not sure I'll keep it though.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's mine. Bought it on a whim. Were these a limited edition? I hadn't seen one before. Very nice bag; it seems practically brand new. Not sure I'll keep it though.

The all wool duffles are indeed pretty rare. Definitely rarer then the Harris Tweed Collabs and the other more common Wool Duffles that incorporate other materials on the sides.

Yours was built just before the Bedrock acquisition in 1st quarter 2012 so it’s technically still a “pre-Bedrock Era”, even though it bears the "70" before the quintessential pre-Bedrock 3 digit identifier

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The all wool duffles are indeed pretty rare. Definitely rarer then the Harris Tweed Collabs and the other more common Wool Duffles that incorporate other materials on the sides.

Yours was built just before the Bedrock acquisition in 1st quarter 2012 so it’s technically still a “pre-Bedrock Era”, even though it bears the "70" before the quintessential pre-Bedrock 3 digit identifier
Another fun fact is the wool duffles had a notably higher retail price than the twill. Not sure if wool is just a more expensive material or just the limited edition aspect driving the price but always thought that was interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads