• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Filson had a reversible vest I regret not purchasing. Looked remarkably similar to the one above....red and black wool on one side and tin on the other

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson had a reversible vest I regret not purchasing. Looked remarkably similar to the one above....red and black wool on one side and tin on the other

Yes! I came across this one too in a google search. I did a double-take as it's pretty unusual. I am not sure why I always seem to notice grail Filson items after they are discontinued.

I was looking at my ombre jac-shirt hanging on my office door. A lot of the Filson stuff is really "Cry Once Buy Once" as you really start to appreciate the quality long after the sting of buying it is gone since the quality is so high (especially if you look at the quality of traditional outerwear and gear on the market right now).

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you preferring the one you got for Christmas to the style 32 hunting vest you picked up a few months ago? Curious if you have gotten that one to break in at all.
Hmm. Yes. The 32 is challenging. I love the idea of it and the build quality is unreal. But it’s stiff as hell and designed to take lots of stuff in the very large pockets- you know - dead stuff. So it sort of hangs rather than fits.
It just about works as an over- layer on top of the ultralight jacket. But no, it hasn’t yet broken in. I’m in two minds about keeping it. It’s properly vintage, interesting and perfect, but it’s sort of impractical too.

The regular tin vest is just fab. I’m living in it at the moment. Temps here are warm for the time of year (50F) so with a good flannel and the vest I’m set.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across a beaut of a YKK era 266 Sportsman bag. I paid a bit more than a song for it, but I’m happy.

C7D58E1C-62A8-41EC-88FC-72B7D72A663B.jpeg

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't Filson make more leather bags? Really want a nice weekender and would prefer leather in almost all cases. I really want that 48hr bag in leather.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't Filson make more leather bags? Really want a nice weekender and would prefer leather in almost all cases. I really want that 48hr bag in leather.

On the contrary Filson offers more leather bags then many leather luggage companies. Personally I think they currently have one too many leather options, considering their foundation of their luggage arm was built upon the Rugged Twill Line

Current Leather Offerings:

Leather Field Satchel (recently retired but readily available)
Journeyman
Original Briefcase
Small Field Bag
Medium Duffel
Travel Kit
Tote
Rolling Carry On

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Talon Era Tan MTB for sale for a pretty reasonable price. This definitely qualifies as "Vintage"

McRiz

Reaction score
On the contrary Filson offers more leather bags then many leather luggage companies. Personally I think they currently have one too many leather options, considering their foundation of their luggage arm was built upon the Rugged Twill Line

Current Leather Offerings:

Leather Field Satchel (recently retired but readily available)
Journeyman
Original Briefcase
Small Field Bag
Medium Duffel
Travel Kit
Tote
Rolling Carry On

I hope I am not ostracized for this opinion, but I think Filson's current twill bag lineup is very unimpressive. (Sorry.) Filson seems not to try to promote its twill products anymore. The current owners keep promoting the simple duffle and tote bags, which although look great, lack many of the functional uses and complexity of discontinued bags such as the Outfitter Bag, Travel Bag, Carry On Bag, Garment Bag, Pullman (Large), Small Pullman (except otter), Sportsman (except tan), Compartment Bag, and even Roll-top Backpack (I think is now discontinued). All Filson does now is make color variants of the same twill duffle and tote, including pointless colors that look very similar to existing ones, i.e., sepia and root (again, sorry for this opinion). In the last three years, Filson seems to be introducing more tin cloth and nylon bags, and really ZERO new twill bags. The Workshop leather bags seem to have very limited appeal, in my opinion. You either like those or you don't. I just think Filson is slowly (or quickly) moving towards selling clothing, just like LL Bean or Eddie Bauer.

I know that I can get the twill bags in the secondary market. And I have. I just wish I could just get a brand new Outfitter (or another twill bag) in otter green or tan, without the hassle.

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope I am not ostracized for this opinion, but I think Filson's current twill bag lineup is very unimpressive. (Sorry.) Filson seems not to try to promote its twill products anymore. The current owners keep promoting the simple duffle and tote bags, which although look great, lack many of the functional uses and complexity of discontinued bags such as the Outfitter Bag, Travel Bag, Carry On Bag, Garment Bag, Pullman (Large), Small Pullman (except otter), Sportsman (except tan), Compartment Bag, and even Roll-top Backpack (I think is now discontinued). All Filson does now is make color variants of the same twill duffle and tote, including pointless colors that look very similar to existing ones, i.e., sepia and root (again, sorry for this opinion). In the last three years, Filson seems to be introducing more tin cloth and nylon bags, and really ZERO new twill bags. The Workshop leather bags seem to have very limited appeal, in my opinion. You either like those or you don't. I just think Filson is slowly (or quickly) moving towards selling clothing, just like LL Bean or Eddie Bauer.

I know that I can get the twill bags in the secondary market. And I have. I just wish I could just get a brand new Outfitter (or another twill bag) in otter green or tan, without the hassle.

Interesting observation. I guess the hunting/ fishing market has changed? Ageing out or shifting to more technical and lighter materials? And the outfitter / compartment etc bags were complex and more expensive to make. Meanwhile the private equity owners need to show growth so cheaper / varied options across bags and clothes allow them to try new markets - eg workware.
That said, the Filson stores still feel like they want to embrace the traditional outdoor aesthetic. I certainly don’t get the feeling I’m walking into RL or LL Bean. Interestingly in London there is Filson, Redwing and RRL all in the same small street. RRL feels the least authentic by a long way.
I think I’ve said this before, but the old school part of Filson that we like so much is probably only possible because of the newer stuff. Could a Filson that sold just twill bags, tin cloth and wool garments survive? I don’t know.
Fashions and economics do cycle around too. Perhaps they will do a heritage line and revive the old designs (at steep $$$ of course) one day. I guess FRD and workshop stuff is a bit of a nod in that direction.
A last thought: Personally I’ve come to trust Filson’s long experience. I know If I buy a shirt or a bag it’ll work well and feel good - as long as it’s one of the classic designs. So on that basis what really is missing? There are briefcase options in 2 sizes, two field bags, 3 duffles, several rolling duffles, a tin cloth overnight (48hr), and a few different backpacks. That’s pretty good unless your needs are super specialized?

CCF1897

Reaction score
Interesting observation. I guess the hunting/ fishing market has changed? Ageing out or shifting to more technical and lighter materials? And the outfitter / compartment etc bags were complex and more expensive to make. Meanwhile the private equity owners need to show growth so cheaper / varied options across bags and clothes allow them to try new markets - eg workware.
That said, the Filson stores still feel like they want to embrace the traditional outdoor aesthetic. I certainly don’t get the feeling I’m walking into RL or LL Bean. Interestingly in London there is Filson, Redwing and RRL all in the same small street. RRL feels the least authentic by a long way.
I think I’ve said this before, but the old school part of Filson that we like so much is probably only possible because of the newer stuff. Could a Filson that sold just twill bags, tin cloth and wool garments survive? I don’t know.
Fashions and economics do cycle around too. Perhaps they will do a heritage line and revive the old designs (at steep $$$ of course) one day. I guess FRD and workshop stuff is a bit of a nod in that direction.
A last thought: Personally I’ve come to trust Filson’s long experience. I know If I buy a shirt or a bag it’ll work well and feel good - as long as it’s one of the classic designs. So on that basis what really is missing? There are briefcase options in 2 sizes, two field bags, 3 duffles, several rolling duffles, a tin cloth overnight (48hr), and a few different backpacks. That’s pretty good unless your needs are super specialized?
I can’t speak for the fishing market but the hunting market has blown up over the last 5 years with small batch producers of high end gear and it’s showing no signs of slowing down. It’s actually becoming crowded in my opinion. These bags/coats can be used in the field, flights, hotels etc. I can recommend a alternative outfitter bag @McRiz if you’d like to message me.

McRiz

Reaction score
I can’t speak for the fishing market but the hunting market has blown up over the last 5 years with small batch producers of high end gear and it’s showing no signs of slowing down. It’s actually becoming crowded in my opinion. These bags/coats can be used in the field, flights, hotels etc. I can recommend a alternative outfitter bag @McRiz if you’d like to message me.

Thank you. I actually have a large tan outfitter which I got in the secondary market. I think with the exception of the Large Carry On (242) and the compartment bag (although I have the soft side cooler), I have owned, or currently own, the majority of the discontinued bags identified. I really like the Filson brand. I was just trying to point out that Filson seems not to do anything to advance its Twill products and seems to be discontinuing the Twill products every year. I would just like the brand more if they actually did something with the twill bags beyond simple duffles, totes, and original briefcases.

I am not knocking the tin cloth products as I own the 48 hour bag. I thinks it's alright, and would be 100 times better if it was in twill.

I don't think I would ever get a nylon or Dryden product as they are not the quality you would expect from Filson, aside from not being made in the USA.

With respect to clothing, Filson use to advertise dry tin cloth cruiser vests, moleskin vests, the Alaskan Guide shirt, and the goofy red suspenders as staple products. They don't seem to have any of the vests anymore (and apparently have been forgotten), and the suspenders are hidden somewhere in the website. The Alaskan Guide Shirt is no longer made in the USA. All of this is just disappointing (for me).

I know that fashion ebbs and flows and Filson is a business. I just hate to see this business turn into an Abercrombie and Fitch.

Sorry if I sound like a negative Nancy, and I hopefully have not offended anyone with my own, highly subjective opinions.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I actually have a large tan outfitter which I got in the secondary market. I think with the exception of the Large Carry On (242) and the compartment bag (although I have the soft side cooler), I have owned, or currently own, the majority of the discontinued bags identified. I really like the Filson brand. I was just trying to point out that Filson seems not to do anything to advance its Twill products and seems to be discontinuing the Twill products every year. I would just like the brand more if they actually did something with the twill bags beyond simple duffles, totes, and original briefcases.

I am not knocking the tin cloth products as I own the 48 hour bag. I thinks it's alright, and would be 100 times better if it was in twill.

I don't think I would ever get a nylon or Dryden product as they are not the quality you would expect from Filson, aside from not being made in the USA.

With respect to clothing, Filson use to advertise dry tin cloth cruiser vests, moleskin vests, the Alaskan Guide shirt, and the goofy red suspenders as staple products. They don't seem to have any of the vests anymore (and apparently have been forgotten), and the suspenders are hidden somewhere in the website. The Alaskan Guide Shirt is no longer made in the USA. All of this is just disappointing (for me).

I know that fashion ebbs and flows and Filson is a business. I just hate to see this business turn into an Abercrombie and Fitch.

Sorry if I sound like a negative Nancy, and I hopefully have not offended anyone with my own, highly subjective opinions.

I just want everyone to know that @McRiz is not a backup account for @OtterMeanGreen :lol: and this is not me having a conversation with myself here

I kid I kid. You have many of the same viewpoints that I have expressed on here over the past 2 or 3 years.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree with the observation regarding Filson’s narrowing of twill offerings. I think most of the older discontinued twill bags were more expensive to manufacture and with the current business model, they would be prohibitively expensive and may not sell well as a result.

Another observation. I have some of the older discontinued bags: the Sportsman 266, 242, the LTB 248, the old sized Medium 222. They are all relatively bulky and heavy when packed at capacity (with the exception of the small duffle) as flight carry-on baggage. Sure, I still use them but I know there are lighter bags out there. Great for throwing in the back of my SUV though for a camping trip or a road trip to the in-laws but like many people today most of my overnight travel is via plane.

The current Filson market may be increasingly oriented towards business and leisure airline travel with lighter weight materials and different pocketing (e.g. 48h bag) to tap that large affluent market. Outdoorsmen have other higher tech options now as someone else noted so the demand for say a $595 or $695 MSRP Outfitter bag today may be less than it was 25 years ago with an older generation of hunters and anglers. The duffles are probably fine for the vast majority of travelers interested in a general travel bag (as the least specialized and most streamlined bag configuration). I am guessing Filson does its market research so the winnowing of twill bags is a calculated move. Not necessarily happy about it but I can see how it could happen.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree with the observation regarding Filson’s narrowing of twill offerings. I think most of the older discontinued twill bags were more expensive to manufacture and with the current business model, they would be prohibitively expensive and may not sell well as a result.

Another observation. I have some of the older discontinued bags: the Sportsman 266, 242, the LTB 248, the old sized Medium 222. They are all relatively bulky and heavy when packed at capacity (with the exception of the small duffle) as flight carry-on baggage. Sure, I still use them but I know there are lighter bags out there. Great for throwing in the back of my SUV though for a camping trip or a road trip to the in-laws but like many people today most of my overnight travel is via plane.

The current Filson market may be increasingly oriented towards business and leisure airline travel with lighter weight materials and different pocketing (e.g. 48h bag) to tap that large affluent market. Outdoorsmen have other higher tech options now as someone else noted so the demand for say a $595 or $695 MSRP Outfitter bag today may be less than it was 25 years ago with an older generation of hunters and anglers. The duffles are probably fine for the vast majority of travelers interested in a general travel bag (as the least specialized and most streamlined bag configuration). I am guessing Filson does its market research so the winnowing of twill bags is a calculated move. Not necessarily happy about it but I can see how it could happen.
I think you hit it on the head here. The demand simply isn’t there for the required markup on the larger/heavier and more complex twill bags. Too many alternatives/ changes in the travel industry as a whole for these types of bags to continue to make sense. I think most of discontinuances over the years are a result of lagging sales more than anything else.

Where I will definitely agree with @McRiz is that I wish they would focus some of their R&D on twill. While I understand the weight factor, it is still by far the most durable fabric that Filson offers (with the exception of heavy tin and isn’t really readily in Filsons lineup). We have been swooning over the possibility of a 48 hour in twill forever on this thread. I don’t remember who posted it but someone mentioned that they tried to do it and the pockets just couldn’t be done with the heavier fabric. Anyways, investment in your second most storied product line behind the mackinaw wool clothing I would think would be worthwhile, but they must know something we don’t.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you hit it on the head here. The demand simply isn’t there for the required markup on the larger/heavier and more complex twill bags. Too many alternatives/ changes in the travel industry as a whole for these types of bags to continue to make sense. I think most of discontinuances over the years are a result of lagging sales more than anything else.

Where I will definitely agree with @McRiz is that I wish they would focus some of their R&D on twill. While I understand the weight factor, it is still by far the most durable fabric that Filson offers (with the exception of heavy tin and isn’t really readily in Filsons lineup). We have been swooning over the possibility of a 48 hour in twill forever on this thread. I don’t remember who posted it but someone mentioned that they tried to do it and the pockets just couldn’t be done with the heavier fabric. Anyways, investment in your second most storied product line behind the mackinaw wool clothing I would think would be worthwhile, but they must know something we don’t.
I’m not sure it moves the conversation forward, but here’s a thought on the twill 48. If the pockets are the challenge, make a single long pocket across the front. Suddenly you have an oversized 258 don’t you? Remove the padding of the 258 and lengthen the handles for shoulder carry and you have a credible 48hr in twill. Tweak the details like internal organization, storm flap and hard base and away you go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads