• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cbfox

Reaction score
Can't wait to get home from NYC to look at the seams on the inside of my Mack Cruiser.
Gives me another opportunity to show off my twill seams. But from SF, instead of my typical NYC locale. I actually got a compliment on the flight out here yesterday.
5479D49C-22BA-4CD5-A5AF-D355D7AFD8BB.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to get home from NYC to look at the seams on the inside of my Mack Cruiser.

Hey Mgrennier how are you surviving the cold windy nights in NYC without your Mack?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a chance, I would genuinely like to see photos of the workmanship of this old Cruiser. Filson guarantees its "workmanship" and its advertised to be the "best". I don't know why this motto would not apply to poor sewing techniques, considering Filson sells everything at a premium.

Do you still have the #70081 as seen in your avatar? If so how are you liking it? I was really (and I mean REALLY) considering one for awhile. But decided that the MTB was the way to go for me. It might've had something to do with Talons, but I can neither confirm nor deny that.

TimothyF

Reaction score
If you have a chance, I would genuinely like to see photos of the workmanship of this old Cruiser. Filson guarantees its "workmanship" and its advertised to be the "best". I don't know why this motto would not apply to poor sewing techniques, considering Filson sells everything at a premium.

No problem, probably sometime in the next 2 weeks I should be able to take some pictures of what I'm talking about. But I'll post here only if the frequent posters on this thread give me permission. After all I don't want to burst anyone's bubbles with well-documented facts. And if someone's faith is strong, who am I to say their God's work has imperfection? Pointless to start a discussion if some people just keep changing the subject and throw out a bunch of absurdities, but I can always PM you the pictures.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem, probably sometime in the next 2 weeks I should be able to take some pictures of what I'm talking about. But I'll post here only if the frequent posters on this thread give me permission. After all I don't want to burst anyone's bubbles with well-documented facts. And if someone's faith is strong, who am I to say their God's work has imperfection? Pointless to start a discussion if some people just keep changing the subject and throw out a bunch of absurdities, but I can always PM you the pictures.
Lol, it’s a free country, go ahead and post your pictures. You have my explicit permission.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I'll post here only if the frequent posters on this thread give me permission.

I'm still confused as to what your objective is here. When you first posted were you making a statement or did you want to have a discussion. That's normal etiquette in a forum, it involves posts and replies. Some will agree with you and some will not, but nowhere in this thread can I see unfair or uncalled for replies other then your posts, such as the one that I have quoted. As @TinMan3 put so eloquently when you have a large group of people who are passionate about a particular brand or product you can expect some push-back, however those that have responded to you (including me) have certainly provided you with resources and facts, to help educate you on the subject matter. So it's not just emotionally motivated.

McRiz

Reaction score
Do you still have the #70081 as seen in your avatar? If so how are you liking it? I was really (and I mean REALLY) considering one for awhile. But decided that the MTB was the way to go for me. It might've had something to do with Talons, but I can neither confirm nor deny that.
I have the large twill carry-on travel bag in both otter and navy. I originally had it in otter and carried it for about 3 years. I think it's a very well thought out "travel" bag with an inside lining and inside zipper pocket for storing things. I fit a packing cube and the travel kit perfectly inside. I also like the way it carries, with the d-rings on the side. Fast forward 3 years, and I bought a large otter Pullman on eBay and thought it looked cooler than the 70081. I sold the 70081 and immediately regretted it. I used the Pullman once (or twice) but it felt too big for my personal use. I ended up getting the small tan Pullman when it was on sale. I didn't love the way it carried (subjective opinion) as the d-rings were only on one side of the bag. I thought the positioning of the d-rings would make it easier to carry, but, in my case, it seemed to make a heavier load more cumbersome.

Then I idiotically bid on a green 70081 on ebay, and stupidly won and got the same (but different) otter bag back. (Ironically, this green 70081 had extremely poor (awful) sewing workmanship with many loose threads, the memory of which was jogged by the recent post about the mackinaw Cruiser.) About a month after reclaiming the otter 70081, I made a ridiculous offer on ebay for a navy 70081, which was the color that I had originally wanted, thinking that the low-ball offer would never be accepted, and I won. So now I have a green and a navy.

Long story short, I love this bag. I don't think it's the best looking Filson bag, but it's the most practical (for me).

I also have a navy MTB, but I almost never reach for that one even though it looks cooler because I just like the way the 70081 packs and carry.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My 24 Hour bag smells......musty, I bought it used on ebay and have tried to get the musty odor out with Febreeze (didn't work), something called ZorbX that I found at the grocery store (didn't work). Any ideas on something that might work?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 24 Hour bag smells......musty, I bought it used on ebay and have tried to get the musty odor out with Febreeze (didn't work), something called ZorbX that I found at the grocery store (didn't work). Any ideas on something that might work?

Tin cloth is a whole different animal. Normally I would say to spray it down with cheap vodka, but that might only work with Rugged Twill. If it were summer I would say to turn the bag inside out and leave it out in the sun, but you're in IL and it's not exactly warm there as we speak. The only other thing I would recommend trying is buying activated charcoal and stuffing the bag with it. That has worked with other members. It might need a good hand washing and rewaxing as well.

Speaking of Tin Cloth, not sure I like the way this looks with patina, hopefully my Navy will eventually come out different

journeyman dirty.PNG

journeyman dirty 2.PNG

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tin cloth is a whole different animal. Normally I would say to spray it down with cheap vodka, but that might only work with Rugged Twill. If it were summer I would say to turn the bag inside out and leave it out in the sun, but you're in IL and it's not exactly warm there as we speak. The only other thing I would recommend trying is buying activated charcoal and stuffing the bag with it. That has worked with other members. It might need a good hand washing and rewaxing as well.

Speaking of Tin Cloth, not sure I like the way this looks with patina, hopefully my Navy will eventually come out different

View attachment 1316452

View attachment 1316453
I like the way tin cloth looks and the patina on this bag is nice, just smells (at least to my nose) I like the idea of turning it inside out and letting the sun do it's magic, but as you noted, this will have to wait for a few months due to being in Illinois and it's winter. Spraying with cheap vodka is a possibility as well.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the way tin cloth looks and the patina on this bag is nice, just smells (at least to my nose) I like the idea of turning it inside out and letting the sun do it's magic, but as you noted, this will have to wait for a few months due to being in Illinois and it's winter. Spraying with cheap vodka is a possibility as well.

What color is your 24HR? That was my first Filson (after the Tan #70258 I exchanged it for), mine was Otter Green...but you'd probably expect that. I sold it right after joining this forum, actually my very first post was asking this thread's members if they wanted to buy it :lol: .

I've always kinda regretted selling it as I really liked it, with all it's pocketed glory, but as a minimalist I couldn't help it.

Also Activated Charcoal is a good idea because it can work while you work, just set it and forget it.

TimothyF

Reaction score
I'm still confused as to what your objective is here. When you first posted were you making a statement or did you want to have a discussion. That's normal etiquette in a forum, it involves posts and replies. Some will agree with you and some will not, but nowhere in this thread can I see unfair or uncalled for replies other then your posts, such as the one that I have quoted. As @TinMan3 put so eloquently when you have a large group of people who are passionate about a particular brand or product you can expect some push-back, however those that have responded to you (including me) have certainly provided you with resources and facts, to help educate you on the subject matter. So it's not just emotionally motivated.

If you notice my last post, it was very tongue-in-cheek. It feels weird having to explain humor, but if you thought I meant a serious attack on you or any of the esteemed posters here who do contribute a lot of knowledge on Filson and vintage bags, then I apologize.

But since you seriously asked, I'll briefly sketch out how I believe some responses come from an emotional place. Guy says I think the Filson Mackinaw has both major positives and major positives. Given the high expectations that Filson as a brand has built, let's examine some of the negatives that I haven't seen discussed much elsewhere. Followed up some specific details.

And the responses come in a few different kinds:
  • Since you don't wear Filson coats, let us "educate" you -> translation: your observations come from an ignorant place, and are of no value. (I think I explained this earlier) A guy who's seen his share of tailored coats, and wool coats in particular, doesn't need to see every wool coat in existence to make a reasoned observation. Especially with the unlined Mackinaw which exposes pretty much everything to the eye. (Plus I know enough of Filson's history to know what I'm talking about)
  • Details like the kind you pointed out aren't important -> translation: blahlahlah, I don't care and I don't wanna listen. For the record, some of the details I notice enhance longevity, some enhance comfort and usability for the user (e.g. I remember the buttons are not sewn on with a shank, and I had trouble pushing the button through the thickness of the wool, because this no vertical gap between the button and the bottom fabric), and some enhance fit (I don't take credit for this one: someone mentioned lining the sleeve would lessen the "grab" the coat has on your sweater sleeve).
  • A variation on the above: He's talking about some namby-pamby finishing details; real men just care if the coat works or not! Wrong; the "details" are actually basics that even Walmart and Men's Wearhouse garments frequently get right; am I wrong to expect a storied institution like Filson (which as someone above reminded has a guarantee on their quality) not to flub these basic elements of sewing together a coat. I think some even asked "Why even check the inside?" (paraphrasing here). And the answer would be, "Ever heard of the expression Check under the Hood?"
  • Filson Mackinaw is durable! -> this is a change the subject move. My response is, "Perhaps, but these details, if improved on, will make it more durable". Plus, durability is highly individual anyways. One guy who's been wearing the same coat for 20 years with little sign of damage could hand it off to another guy of the same size, and he could break something within 2 weeks. If I look hard enough, I'm sure I'd find stories of Filson Mackinaws not making it through ___, or not lasting past __ years.
  • Filson Mackinaw is warm! -> another change the subject move
  • Filson Mackinaw is versatile -> see above
  • Name me another coat that is as __ as Filson -> I already acknowledged that the Mackinaw has a rather distinct design, so if you ask the question narrowly enough, of a person with enough of a discriminating taste, then obviously the answer would be only Filson! But there are enough decent replacements if you broaden the criteria in terms of form, material, and vintage, while holding the price point steady: duffle coats, pea coats, Austrian loden coats, you get the idea... I couldn't possibly name them all.
  • I don't like the wording you chose -> I'm sorry, are we being the thought police here. So people aren't allowed to say they are disappointed in something apparently? This quote gave me a hearty laugh: "Whether it could be done better or whether it is worth the price or not is up the user." If the user doesn't get to decide worth, who should he accept it from? Basically any seller can stick him up for what amount, and impose the seller's standards and sense of worth on the buyer? Funny, but not how it works in a free country.
  • Raise a tangential topic, I respond to it, you come back with "When are we discussing this topic?" Fairly self-explanative, but just interesting to point out.

Lastly, notice how I never bring up the issue of "respect"/civility but some of the long-timers do. What a weird thing to bring up? I'm just talking about a piece of clothing. Unless the Mackinaw is someone's child, I didn't know until today that offense is even a remote possibility when a person discusses clothing and clothing only (not even a hint at any person; just clothing quality, vs what I'd expect at a price point and from a company like Filson).

It's possible the whole thing got off on the wrong footing, if some perceived my initial post as some sort of "attack" that they need to "defend" against. If so, sorry for the misunderstanding, I just thought this is a place to discuss the minutiae of clothes with people I guessed might know these garments inside out. And incidentally, I notice some people keep picking on the raw seams idea, as if that's my only concern. I will say I haven't see any filson bag/briefcase with raw fabric edges exposed; they're either tucked in or cotton taped. Why not use the same technology on the coat? And can you find too many shirts with raw seams on the inside, above some minimal price point, and not talking about some weird designer pieces. If the shirts don't have clean single- or double-needle stitching down the sides, but rather overlock seams, the people who know will not accept the quality level. Well, shouldn't we expect just as much from a coat, if not more?

Anyways, I thought I'd respond in full to try to clear up any lingering misunderstandings, but this'll probably be the last I say on this. @McRiz I'll take some pictures next time I visit my father.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to visit this town. 17 people and they have an unofficial mayor. This is the form of kayaking that I am into. I have a vessel I am looking at buying soon. Maybe incorporate a little Filson Dry Pack and Duffel's into it depending on how @mgrennier likes his.

Awesome Filson Collaboration production. Something for everyone, even classic trucks with a really creative flooring @speedy611

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you notice my last post, it was very tongue-in-cheek. It feels weird having to explain humor, but if you thought I meant a serious attack on you or any of the esteemed posters here who do contribute a lot of knowledge on Filson and vintage bags, then I apologize.

But since you seriously asked, I'll briefly sketch out how I believe some responses come from an emotional place. Guy says I think the Filson Mackinaw has both major positives and major positives. Given the high expectations that Filson as a brand has built, let's examine some of the negatives that I haven't seen discussed much elsewhere. Followed up some specific details.

And the responses come in a few different kinds:
  • Since you don't wear Filson coats, let us "educate" you -> translation: your observations come from an ignorant place, and are of no value. (I think I explained this earlier) A guy who's seen his share of tailored coats, and wool coats in particular, doesn't need to see every wool coat in existence to make a reasoned observation. Especially with the unlined Mackinaw which exposes pretty much everything to the eye. (Plus I know enough of Filson's history to know what I'm talking about)
  • Details like the kind you pointed out aren't important -> translation: blahlahlah, I don't care and I don't wanna listen. For the record, some of the details I notice enhance longevity, some enhance comfort and usability for the user (e.g. I remember the buttons are not sewn on with a shank, and I had trouble pushing the button through the thickness of the wool, because this no vertical gap between the button and the bottom fabric), and some enhance fit (I don't take credit for this one: someone mentioned lining the sleeve would lessen the "grab" the coat has on your sweater sleeve).
  • A variation on the above: He's talking about some namby-pamby finishing details; real men just care if the coat works or not! Wrong; the "details" are actually basics that even Walmart and Men's Wearhouse garments frequently get right; am I wrong to expect a storied institution like Filson (which as someone above reminded has a guarantee on their quality) not to flub these basic elements of sewing together a coat. I think some even asked "Why even check the inside?" (paraphrasing here). And the answer would be, "Ever heard of the expression Check under the Hood?"
  • Filson Mackinaw is durable! -> this is a change the subject move. My response is, "Perhaps, but these details, if improved on, will make it more durable". Plus, durability is highly individual anyways. One guy who's been wearing the same coat for 20 years with little sign of damage could hand it off to another guy of the same size, and he could break something within 2 weeks. If I look hard enough, I'm sure I'd find stories of Filson Mackinaws not making it through ___, or not lasting past __ years.
  • Filson Mackinaw is warm! -> another change the subject move
  • Filson Mackinaw is versatile -> see above
  • Name me another coat that is as __ as Filson -> I already acknowledged that the Mackinaw has a rather distinct design, so if you ask the question narrowly enough, of a person with enough of a discriminating taste, then obviously the answer would be only Filson! But there are enough decent replacements if you broaden the criteria in terms of form, material, and vintage, while holding the price point steady: duffle coats, pea coats, Austrian loden coats, you get the idea... I couldn't possibly name them all.
  • I don't like the wording you chose -> I'm sorry, are we being the thought police here. So people aren't allowed to say they are disappointed in something apparently? This quote gave me a hearty laugh: "Whether it could be done better or whether it is worth the price or not is up the user." If the user doesn't get to decide worth, who should he accept it from? Basically any seller can stick him up for what amount, and impose the seller's standards and sense of worth on the buyer? Funny, but not how it works in a free country.
  • Raise a tangential topic, I respond to it, you come back with "When are we discussing this topic?" Fairly self-explanative, but just interesting to point out.

Lastly, notice how I never bring up the issue of "respect"/civility but some of the long-timers do. What a weird thing to bring up? I'm just talking about a piece of clothing. Unless the Mackinaw is someone's child, I didn't know until today that offense is even a remote possibility when a person discusses clothing and clothing only (not even a hint at any person; just clothing quality, vs what I'd expect at a price point and from a company like Filson).

It's possible the whole thing got off on the wrong footing, if some perceived my initial post as some sort of "attack" that they need to "defend" against. If so, sorry for the misunderstanding, I just thought this is a place to discuss the minutiae of clothes with people I guessed might know these garments inside out. And incidentally, I notice some people keep picking on the raw seams idea, as if that's my only concern. I will say I haven't see any filson bag/briefcase with raw fabric edges exposed; they're either tucked in or cotton taped. Why not use the same technology on the coat? And can you find too many shirts with raw seams on the inside, above some minimal price point, and not talking about some weird designer pieces. If the shirts don't have clean single- or double-needle stitching down the sides, but rather overlock seams, the people who know will not accept the quality level. Well, shouldn't we expect just as much from a coat, if not more?

Anyways, I thought I'd respond in full to try to clear up any lingering misunderstandings, but this'll probably be the last I say on this. @McRiz I'll take some pictures next time I visit my father.
You have chosen a route on this topic that is truly sad. Ultimately, you made a couple of observations based on TEN MINUTES of simply handling ONE COAT and suddenly you are an expert in all things Mackinaw Garments. Please come tell a community of users (some for decades) that you know better and anyone who disagrees or even tries to add a counterpoint is jaded. LOL

I’m sorry, but the bottom line is, most of what you are saying in the above post is “I know better and your counterpoints aren’t valid because my observations (in 10 minutes of observing a single garment) experience with other garments and opinions prove differently”. What a joke.

I also find it hilariously laughable that you completely misinterpreted my sentence to the exact opposite of what it actually said. My original post stated “Whether it could be done better or whether it is worth the price or not IS up to the user.” Meaning you choose, and no one else if you don’t like it MOVE ON. Guess what? No one here is twisting your arm to buy a Mack cruiser. Go buy something you’re happy with and stop creating problems that shouldn’t exist.

You’re clearly just hot and bothered that your observations weren’t shared by the majority of a fanatical community. What the hell did you expect? Seriously, think for just a second about what you are posting and where. Oh and your “tongue and cheek” message was hugely loaded, not funny, and downright offensive. I won’t be responding to you anymore and I hope to God you don’t respond either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads