• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TimothyF

Reaction score
Where am I claiming the Filson Mackinaw is the most versatile?

And to answer your other question...or actually I would call it an "assumption" because you completely mischaracterized my own words. Nowhere in any of my responses did I refer to you as "metro type" and I invite you to try and prove otherwise. I mentioned the word city dweller many times in regards to the many different types of people who love these mackinaw cruisers and have for over 100 years. The only thing that I guess you could take out of context is suggesting that form over function appeals more to you, but then again I was going off with what you were saying about the Mackinaw. "Underwhelming and rudimentary in regards to the interior seams not being tucked inside". That to me seemed like a form over the incredibly functional Filson Mackinaw.

I'm not really sure what your shooting for here, coming into the most prolific Filson discussion and taking shots at one of the oldest products, and using words like "underwhelming", I imagine Reddit might be a better forum for that, but it's a free country and your welcome to do it. I was pretty respectful in my lighthearted response to you so I'm not sure how I offended you, not my intention.

My earlier apologies still stand. I guess I broke one of the unspoken rules of this venue. I should have realized voicing a personal opinion based on first hand experience, and using that expletive "underwhelming" would have offended the sensibilities of any red-blooded American.

But if you care to know a bit more about what makes for sturdier sewing, feel free to take the 5-10 minutes to talk to a local tailor or seamstress. I think you'll find that it's a lot more than just looking messy. Because at this point, saying other people take you out of context is fast becoming the pot calling the kettle black.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the best investments (considering I paid $0.00) I’ve made. Stainless steel is still flawless inside despite having many high proofed whiskies within. Alongside is my Tin Cup from a Tin Cup American Whiskey I bought for a free range kayak camping trip along the Delaware

Filson x Stanley Flask and some Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond (100 proof)

978FA371-C86C-4946-A49A-DA25B4A72C47.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally get the lovefest for Filson. they make nice stuff and the quality is generally pretty damn good. But at the same time I don't think TimothyF's comments are unfair. The key point is that Filson is not the most refined product and thats fine.Too much group think isnt a good thing either ;)

Where does Filson claim to be the most refined stuff out there?

Emthigious

Reaction score
I have to say sometimes this thread feels more like a Filson praise thread than a Filson discussion thread. Which is fine, but also does not offer much new food for thought.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I own a double-mac and I must say I was underwhelmed initially by the finish, much as timothyf describes, and my brother-in-law mentioned the same things when trying it on for the first time. I quickly realized, though, that this bruiser (cruiser) isn't a fashion jacket...it's a working coat and wasn't designed to be worn with just a t-shirt underneath. With a couple of layers below, those seams disappear. Many of the bags have the same "shortcomings" as well, although they clearly haven't been around as long as some of Filson's other staples.

I believe Filson's original patrons bought products for the utility and life expectancy of the item rather than for how finished it appeared or - cringe - how well it paired with the rest of a desk-job wardrobe.

How Filson products compared to other items from the 40's and 50's I can't say. Are there some things Filson could do to bring its items up-to-par with some of today's fashion brands? Ya sure you betcha. And it has with many of its newer jackets. I also think it is walking a razor's edge where if it added a liner or finished the seams a little better on some of its iconic products, there would be a contingent of folk who would come unglued. Me, for example: I still can't figure out how tin cloth products are currently selling for higher msrp than their twill counterparts when ten years ago, tin was selling for a fraction of the price of twill.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say sometimes this thread feels more like a Filson praise thread than a Filson discussion thread. Which is fine, but also does not offer much new food for thought.

What other outcome would you expect when you have a large group of members who are passionate about a wide range of it's goods from many different era's? Lots of new information to be learned within these thousand plus pages, that don’t deserve to be dismissed like that, especially the countless of man hours that went into providing it. I’d argue that most discussion threads on this forum are filled with members who routinely post, might be accused of also being passionate about their brand...and dare I say “praise” it.

Also this thread goes off topic more so then any other thread that I’ve been a part of or visited. I wouldn’t have the Tanner Goods Wallet in my pocket if that weren’t true. Also wouldn’t know a thing about Red Wing, Alden’s, Classic Land Rovers, Vermillyea Pelle, Pendleton, Ashland Leather Products, etc. I think we have a pretty open minded group here that shares many things that focus on “hard wearing” and I’m honored to be a part of it.

Speaking of my Tanner. Still a young Natural Leather. I'm keeping a lookout for a deal on a Ashland Fat Herbie in Natty Shell @M635Guy

73E4E134-4DBC-4709-8CB2-6D959C4AF659.jpeg

A3191025-55C0-45D5-A117-CCA601D71440.jpeg

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out some prices of wool top coats online from a few of the Styleforum lauded brands, many (all?) are several fold the price of the mackinaw. The typical top coat I have seen in the $300-500 MSRP range of a mackinaw has never struck me as particularly impressive with regards to material or workmanship, but perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places.

All the casual wool coats I see typically for sale, even from former heritage brands like Woolrich and LL Bean, seem inferior with regards to the wool quality compared the Filson (they are inevitably made in Asia too). Smaller places like Johnson Woolen Mills probably have more comparable coats (high quality wool, made in US), but they are priced around the same as the Filson wool coats and are not broadly available retail.

The few wool coats I have seen that are heavier than the Filson mac are actually made of melton (wool/synthetic mix) like the Schott Pea Coat. It's a tough and durable material, but does not have the feel and drape of pure wool, in my experience.

I guess my overall point is that I don't really see much of an issue at all with the Filson Mackinaw in terms of pricing or quality if one cares to look at the alternatives. It might have been different 30-40 years ago, but certainly the market has changed.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re not wrong. However, consider this. If you went to a passionate Apple discussion group and said that the iPhone and it’s operating system is underwhelming and somewhat sloppy and doesn’t really compare well to its competitors in the same price range, you can expect some pushback.

I think I always question what motivates this type of post. A reasonable person will know what kind of response they are going to receive (which I actually think was pretty tame from this group). We are a biased group. We found our way here because we love the brand and have found that it fits into our lifestyle in our own way. The mackinaw cruiser serves its purpose well. Whether it could be done better or whether it is worth the price or not is up the user. For me, its a tool that performs its function admirably without doing too much or too little, unfinished seams and all.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re not wrong. However, consider this. If you went to a passionate Apple discussion group and said that the iPhone and it’s operating system is underwhelming and somewhat sloppy and doesn’t really compare well to its competitors in the same price range, you can expect some pushback.

I think I always question what motivates this type of post. A reasonable person will know what kind of response they are going to receive (which I actually think was pretty tame from this group). We are a biased group. We found our way here because we love the brand and have found that it fits into our lifestyle in our own way. The mackinaw cruiser serves its purpose well. Whether it could be done better or whether it is worth the price or not is up the user. For me, its a tool that performs its function admirably without doing too much or too little, unfinished seams and all.

Well said. I actually don't mind these contrarian posts as I enjoy the liveliness of the discourse. As long as it remains civil on both the part of the OP and the Responders (which it did, I believe).

chiggyv

Reaction score
Ended up with an extra Travel Kit (Tan) after some issues with a repair. Letting it go for a song for any Filson Friends from this thread. PM if interested!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well said. I actually don't mind these contrarian posts as I enjoy the liveliness of the discourse. As long as it remains civil on both the part of the OP and the Responders (which it did, I believe).

Its great to see the last few pages of discussion remaining civil, I agree.
As ever, I think some of the nuance gets eroded by the medium of text only. For those of us who’ve known @OtterMeanGreen here now for two or three years we know him to be vocal, passionate and detail oriented! He’s also kept this thread going through drier spells which I appreciate. Per @TinMan3 I agree that this is a place for appreciation and the gentlest of criticism (that tricky trolley strap on the 48hr!). But it’s also a pretty complete discussion of all things Filson if you can be bothered to read back through all the history and/or search.

Anyway, random Filson sighting: I’ve been watching “Succession” which has been gaining lots of critical praise. It’s gripping and all very glossy with flawed corporate types swanning around in helicopters etc etc. Sneaking into a couple of shots has been a garment bag in tan and a Mile
Marker or similar. Both holding their own very well in the company of so much other bling.

McRiz

Reaction score
Does anyone find Filson's flagship product (flagship in the sense of being around since Filson's founding) underwhelming? I'm speaking of course of the Mackinaw cruiser coat. I handled my father's Double Mackinaw in olive green that he got in the 70s or 80s, and I found both the fabric and sewing to be underwhelming. The wool is lighter and felt looser woven than the wool on my grandfather's bespoke topcoat that I inherited (that one was probably made in the 50s). But the stitching is rudimentary and of a quality that I don't think matches Filson's price. (Quite frankly it reminds me a little of the "authentic" reproduction Civil War era uniforms, which are purposely made with crooked stitching to be true to the Union side's sloppiness)

I'm talking of inside seams with exposed raw fabric ends, not properly tucked into the seams to be unseen. Buttonholes are sewn then cut, leaving the fabric exposed; and not the other way around, which is done on all quality suits and coats. I do credit Filson for the good design and the abundance of pockets, although 1-2 large vertical pockets on the inside would be nice. And I think someone has touched on the lack of smooth lining, especially for the sleeves.

This is the first coat of this style I've seen in person, so I don't know if the fabric and construction is similar to Pendleton, LL Bean, and the like.

If you have a chance, I would genuinely like to see photos of the workmanship of this old Cruiser. Filson guarantees its "workmanship" and its advertised to be the "best". I don't know why this motto would not apply to poor sewing techniques, considering Filson sells everything at a premium.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't wait to get home from NYC to look at the seams on the inside of my Mack Cruiser.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads