• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting TinMan’s Filson pic of the day a day early.
Two of my favorite little Filson bits.
Got these from the Filson factory FRD department.
So nice. Is the larger one waxed? Or is it dry canvas? My one complaint about my local Filson is that they don’t carry any FRD or workshop stuff. Have you been finding use for them?

TimothyF

Reaction score
The answer to this depends on how much you intend to purchase and how much of a day to day weight penalty you are willing to suffer.
A range of options:
1. Find a collapsible nylon bag that you can live with. These pack very small. Keep it in your main Filson bag, which then could be a 256/257 or whatever.

2. As 1, but use a Filson tin tote instead of the collapsible bag. Bit heavier but bombproof. Will also double as an overnight bag.

3. The 258 padded computer bag is very spacious for a briefcase and could swallow some groceries. But larger items like bread might be challenge.

4. Look at the roll top rucksac. Very large, expandable space. But not necessarily office appropriate

5. 261 zip tote is a helpful shape and quite large. Works in office environments. But you may not like the tote style.

Personally I’d go 257 and nylon bag or the 261.

My hope is to do enough grocery shopping in 2-3 work-day commutes that I'm basically set for the week. I live by myself. I guess I'm minimalist about bags. If I have one bag that works for most/all situations I need then I'm happy (and my Barbour and trench coats work well for light occasions). So along these lines what do you guys think of the tote form as a (near) daily carry bag. Personally I'd be fine with it (and LL Bean sells a quality one for much cheaper than Filson obviously), but I get the impression that they are mainly worn by ladies and that the manly counterpart is the duffle bag.

In terms of weight, it looks like the briefcases/laptop bags are heavier for their volume than the duffle. According to filson, the small duffle weighs 2lb 9oz; the 258 padded computer bag is over 4lb.

Roll top rucksack: sorry, not much of a backpack person.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My hope is to do enough grocery shopping in 2-3 work-day commutes that I'm basically set for the week. I live by myself. I guess I'm minimalist about bags. If I have one bag that works for most/all situations I need then I'm happy (and my Barbour and trench coats work well for light occasions). So along these lines what do you guys think of the tote form as a (near) daily carry bag. Personally I'd be fine with it (and LL Bean sells a quality one for much cheaper than Filson obviously), but I get the impression that they are mainly worn by ladies and that the manly counterpart is the duffle bag.

In terms of weight, it looks like the briefcases/laptop bags are heavier for their volume than the duffle. According to filson, the small duffle weighs 2lb 9oz; the 258 padded computer bag is over 4lb.

Roll top rucksack: sorry, not much of a backpack person.
My wife has a thing for tote bags, must have 10 or 15 around the house. They ARE very handy for grocery store runs.

AC74

Reaction score
The Filson 261 is a favourite here as well. The side pockets (on the short ends) will even fit a bottle of wine each. I use mine mainly on travel or during summer months. Can always fit a jacket in there if needed, plus laptop, and some groceries. But if you're ok with carrying a duffle to/from work everyday, of course it will fit even more. For me personally, I prefer less bulk for everyday use.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IT’S OFFICIALLY THE FIRST DAY OF FILSON! (@mgrennier’s preamble was much appreciate, love those FRD pouches!)

Let’s see what you got people!

On the first day of Filson St Filson gave to me the Natural Horween Small BiFold wallet. It was my second ever Filson item and the item that without a doubt has been carried the most of any bag, clothing item or accessory that I own. 5 years strong and carried all 1800+ days. In the below picture is a notebook that is the wallet’s original color, so this thing has seen some serious patina over the years. Love the minimalist design, especially since I rarely carry cash. I carry 5 or 6 cards, a license and a few bills and it’s the perfect wallet for my needs.

D5D960E9-CA63-4877-B760-EB218E979BB0.jpeg

3D0A53D8-69D7-4E9E-9FA0-392B2AA38272.jpeg

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, my 1st day: Terrible photo but here is my small field bag and tin tote. The tote gets a lot of use and as I’ve said previously here is the black sheep. I love it for its practicality not its looks, but I wouldn’t be without it.
The small field bag is my go to for day trips and every day items. Style for miles, talon era soft leather and many handy pockets.

3EFF8657-E786-4711-8621-95973C0C53E7.jpeg

Also pictured and #notFilson, our much loved Siberian cat, Moon.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My go to. Wear every day in the wintertime coat is the Filson Mackinaw. In Navy. keeps you warm. Keeps you dry and better than my Barbout in that it breathes!

Attachments

• 0C6B21A9-90E9-4120-8853-E0D20F048989.jpeg
    0C6B21A9-90E9-4120-8853-E0D20F048989.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 51

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 1st day contribution: a leather snap wallet in black Chromexcel I bought at the Seattle store at the FRD area.

One thing I noticed much later compared to almost every other similar snap wallet on Etsy and online is that Filson folded in all the edges so it forms a pouch. All the other snap wallets from other sources are just two flat rectangles of leather sewn together forming an envelope with little depth to expand. Score one for Filson design!

93BA6E1D-1465-4F3D-BB02-6DDD7915AB44.jpeg
9FD15BCE-6421-44E0-91D8-C6E45947CE56.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 1st day contribution: a leather snap wallet in black Chromexcel I bought at the Seattle store at the FRD area.

One thing I noticed much later compared to almost every other similar snap wallet on Etsy and online is that Filson folded in all the edges so it forms a pouch. All the other snap wallets from other sources are just two flat rectangles of leather sewn together forming an envelope with little depth to expand. Score one for Filson design!

View attachment 1298627 View attachment 1298628
I love how the paint on the button wears off over time from keeping in a pocket. That’s a great lookin wallet.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: anyone got or been hands on with the forestry cloth cruiser? It’s 100% wool but I’m wondering how warm / wind proof it might be?

pnwprice

Reaction score
Question: anyone got or been hands on with the forestry cloth cruiser? It’s 100% wool but I’m wondering how warm / wind proof it might be?

Definitely wind/water resistant. More tightly woven wool so it’s thinner and more abrasion resistant than the mackinaw wool.

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
Day 1: Filson Ranger that I have used on three hunting trips so far this year. Was out with me in the tree stand today. A hunt I will most likely never forget, the one that got away.
50099C9D-5B78-4CF7-9723-F797847B6E53.jpeg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2nd Day: my heavy weight (17oz) wax vest. I wear it for casual occasions in any temp above freezing with a hoodie. Earlier in the season, I found it a bit stiff and heavy. But as it grew colder, I started to appreciate the extra weight, warmth, and especially wind resistance. I like my wool mackinaw but I worry a lot less about dirt, dog hair, and abrasion with the vest. I have never been a heavy vest user before this but I see now how comfortable they are for when you’re active or just going from inside to outside repeatedly.

AAC4C27A-4BC7-4BDA-9E47-0C4057075974.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s the second day of Filson! Some great stuff on day 1. Keep it coming!

For day 2 I thought I would go with something newer to my collection. The Filson Knit Pullman shirt. It’s heavy cotton, but not brushed. With a 1/2 button giving excellent range of motion and release if you’re getting too warm. Best of all, these were made in USA! Maybe the point of this post is to not overlook Filsons shirting due to the prices. I have a feeling this won’t be the last showing of the Filson shirts from me in these 12 days!

DD47FA04-CD01-42FE-8E8D-9DE26955E520.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics