1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. johnnymiz

johnnymiz Senior Member

Oh, i have a new wallet because my Filson one died. Not a filson though.
    And i love redwing boots...got a pair of heritage boots, although i am partial to alden

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019

2. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

Did you bend the sides on your bass? Almost looks like you bandsawed the center section then sandwiched the top and back?

3. johnnymiz

johnnymiz Senior Member

No sir. The body is semi hollow. ... 3 pieces of 1x poplar routed out to hollow, then glued together.
    So, you got the construction right. Thats why i put in the almost done pic.
    Making it with traditional ribs and veneer is a very specialized thing with a steep learning curve, as you know.
    this is more like a solid body elactric guitar. It has the rough shape of a gibson es, but the construction is more like a G&L Asat semi hollow. Hes got a G&L with twin humbuckers, so i put dimarzio ultra jazz pickups on this for a different sound

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019

4. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

Pretty cool my friend, I like it!

5. johnnymiz

johnnymiz Senior Member

Thanks. It was a good project that turned out ok.

6. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

I don't understand any of that, but I like it!

7. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

Paul Bigsby built them that way, he was a very innovative guy.

8. johnnymiz

johnnymiz Senior Member

I couldve left it solid, but it wouldve weighed a ton because its big, even though poplar is kinda light.
    Hollowing out isnt hard if you have the tools....and i have a ton of them.
    I think the body was made from 1 1x10x8 board from lowes.
    The neck was a little more involved.. its laminated from some oak flooring i had and a piece of cherry wood.
    Laminated wood resists warping. The scarf joint (neck bend) was the hard part.

9. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

7997FCE6-6B89-49CF-B8FD-7049824D9705.jpeg EB94C643-F41A-4F41-9B35-756771B2D199.jpeg C3222D3F-B60E-4BB8-BAD7-C57BC3524E7B.jpeg Taking the field coat out to... well... the field. Rain, hail, snow, favorite kind of day!

10. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Stumbled on a little fly fishing shop here in San Antonio today that was having a sale on some past season items. They carry quite a large selection of Filson gear, from luggage to apparel, hunting and fishing gear. I picked up a Filson Bridle Leather Double Pronged Belt in Brown for $45.

You can check it out @ https://www.filson.com/double-prong-belt.html#sku=11063218-fco-000002321

I’ll post some IRL pictures as the product photos don’t really do it justice.

11. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

So basically it feels like a suit of armor? That is exactly what I thought when I tried on the Tin Cruiser at Filson NYC. I'd imagine this being beefier would feel even more like armor.

12. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

Yeah, but in a good way, I absolutely love the thing! On my way home today I stopped into Orvis to see some of the clothing I’ve been reading about. This isn’t an argument Otter about whether new tin cloth is thinner than old stock, more of an observation comparing 2 reputable brands and thoughts on longitivity...
    I was looking at Barbour jackets. First of all, what’s the deal with the zippers, lol? They feed on the opposite side of most men’s gear here, that would take me a while to get my head around. Barbour has a reputation for making a very rugged product, they make very good, long lasting gear. I tried on 4 diff coats, 2 of the mainstays and a couple of newer offerings. When I pulled on my field jacket to leave, I gotta tell you, whether the material is thinner than days gone by or not, it’s one very heavy duty, overbuilt jacket my friend, and I can see nothing failing on it for years down the road. It made the Barbour stuff feel like a nylon windbreaker, which it is not. No disrespect at all to Barbour owners on here, I know their stuff has a great reputation as I said.

13. CCF1897

CCF1897 Well-Known Member

To be fair I think you would need to compare filson cover cloth to a Barbour Beaufort or Bedal.
    In terms of longevity my Barbour is showing signs of serious wear and I only use it for shooting driven birds (open field no briars or the like) in contrast my tin field coat sees heavy action in some nasty briars on a weekly basis and besides the patina you all saw from my pics it shows no wear at all. It’s a beast that is overbuilt and after 5 years of very hard use is no worse for wear. In my experience most English coats (at least shooting coats) have the zips on the other side and it does take some getting used to. I laugh every time my father complains about the Barbour zipper I gave him a few years ago.
    There is a review on YouTube that looks at the Barbour beaufort vs the Filson Mike marker. If I can find it I’ll post. I think it’s a fair comparison.

14. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

Yes I’ve read it, thanks. As for the zippers, I thought I was wearing a woman’s jacket, but the sales guy educated me, lol!

15. DuckMan_11

DuckMan_11 Member

Large Grab-N-Go Tote In Mossy Oak came in today. Sitting next to my 260 I picked up during the winter Sale on Filson.

I think the Camo Tote will get a lot of use as I always seem to over pack on every hunting trip. Will be a great truck bag as well.

Anyone have experience with the excursion bag? Been thinking about picking one up. I’m also
    excited to see what the hunting bags look like that they released at shot show. Only seen a glimpse and read about it, on the link that was posted on here, last week.

7B6F4787-ECC2-4955-B3CB-5C64682296F2.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019