• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love how this thread wanders around all kinds of stuff i like, then makes it's way back to filson stuff (which i obviously like). we looked at land rovers, knives, etc. now we hit guitars. i love guitars. i wish i could play, but i cant. my son plays the bass and the piano. unfortunately, i have less than zero musical talent. i do, however, have other skills. years ago, i made him a bass. it is a semi-hollow made with wood i had lying around from other projects.

View attachment 1126883

View attachment 1126884
That's pretty impressive.

I've always wanted to learn to play. My (now 17) son is pretty musical - taught himself to keyboard years ago (and does it pretty darn well - he was playing their piano and belting out Bohemian Rhapsody while we were at a friend's house recently - I was impressed lol). We got him a nice acoustic guitar and he only pokes at it. I should steal it back and figure it out... ;)

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love how this thread wanders around all kinds of stuff i like, then makes it's way back to filson stuff (which i obviously like). we looked at land rovers, knives, etc. now we hit guitars. i love guitars. i wish i could play, but i cant. my son plays the bass and the piano. unfortunately, i have less than zero musical talent. i do, however, have other skills. years ago, i made him a bass. it is a semi-hollow made with wood i had lying around from other projects.

View attachment 1126883

View attachment 1126884

You missed sporks and lucky rocks from your wandering around ephemera! I agree, all the diversions are fun, and perhaps stop us descending into unbridled nerdiness. (Pun intended).

That bass is very nice and looks like a labour of love. I’ve just picked up the bass again in the last few weeks after 20 years of not playing. So easy now with searchable tabs online and YouTube tutorials.

And @TinMan3, I love that photo and how you just had the Filson stuff lurking at the bottom edge.

Now, please excuse me as I need to tend to my rock.

Stratkat

Reaction score

View attachment 1126883

View attachment 1126884
Very, very nice, well done! He will always have that to remember you by

johnnymiz

Reaction score
i didnt miss the sporks or the rocks (im old enough to have bought a pet rock back in the 70s..rmember them? rock came in a box like a pet gerbil. $5 crazy)
i dont have a spork, tho i think theyre cool. for those discussions, i just hang in the back cause i got nothing useful to say.

as for the bass, yeah, he has a custom base made by his dad with his initials UNDER the finish .... and it sounds pretty good. i did a lot of research and put some pretty good hardware on it. it thumps

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i didnt miss the sporks or the rocks (im old enough to have bought a pet rock back in the 70s..rmember them? rock came in a box like a pet gerbil. $5 crazy)
i dont have a spork, tho i think theyre cool. for those discussions, i just hang in the back cause i got nothing useful to say.

as for the bass, yeah, he has a custom base made by his dad with his initials UNDER the finish .... and it sounds pretty good. i did a lot of research and put some pretty good hardware on it. it thumps
I'm just impressed by your Powermatic table saw peeking out in that pic.

Woodworking has always been my side gig and passion. Used to do it a LOT. In fact, I built most of the furniture in my house (of course, I lost some of that furniture in the divorce to my ex, but I digress).

Still no spork, though.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
hahahah.. now thats a guy who knows his powertools! powermatic color choice sucks, but the saw rocks. i also used to do a lot of woodworking. not so much anymore.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spotted: Bradley Cooper carrying a medium duffle in the movie “A Star is born”.
It gets about 1.5 seconds of screen time, but to the trained eye is unmissable!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1126883

View attachment 1126884

Not to mention Wallets, Watches, Boots. Not many threads out there that are this diverse. I have you guys to thank for my new wallet, and something else I have waiting for me when i get home. Hint: you can drink from it. Next will be either a pair of boots, Red Wings or a mystery pair. Plus I have a coat that’s in bound, as should be obvious with all this coat talk that I’ve been centering the discussion around. Excited for all these new members we’ve been blessed with this year alone.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Oh, i have a new wallet because my Filson one died. Not a filson though.
And i love redwing boots...got a pair of heritage boots, although i am partial to alden

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
Oh, i have a new wallet because my Filson one died. Not a filson though.
And i love redwing boots...got a pair of heritage boots, although i am partial to alden
Did you bend the sides on your bass? Almost looks like you bandsawed the center section then sandwiched the top and back?

johnnymiz

Reaction score
No sir. The body is semi hollow. ... 3 pieces of 1x poplar routed out to hollow, then glued together.
So, you got the construction right. Thats why i put in the almost done pic.
Making it with traditional ribs and veneer is a very specialized thing with a steep learning curve, as you know.
this is more like a solid body elactric guitar. It has the rough shape of a gibson es, but the construction is more like a G&L Asat semi hollow. Hes got a G&L with twin humbuckers, so i put dimarzio ultra jazz pickups on this for a different sound

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
No sir. He body is semi hollow. ... 3 pieces of 1x poplar routed out to hollow, then glued together.
Making it with traditional ribs and veneer is a very specialized thing with a steep learning curve, as you know.
this is more like a solid body elactric guitar. It has the rough shape of a gibson es, but the construction is more like a G&L Asat semi hollow.
Pretty cool my friend, I like it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads