1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

Yes for a few reasons. Big one is creating a new user name to go around my blocked bidders list. On top of that, I believe he had a friend sign up and buy a bag he wanted from me that I would not sell to him. I will not be surprised if that bag shows up under his handle soon.

2. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

HAHA I had always wondered if buyers were doing that nonsense when I blocked them. That is why I am so nervous about leaving bad buyer feedback or blocking potential buyers that rubbed me the wrong way. Hope it works out for you.

Also what do you think about that Sportsman ripoff? It reminded me of that #70258 ripoff we had noticed last year. Forget what it was called though.

3. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

@mgrennier
    I’m assuming there is laptop + gubbins as well.

A one bag approach would be nice wouldn’t it? A 48hr duffle would work well for this. I used to do very similar with Sydney - Melbourne trips.

But for your available bags - 257 or Journeyman if everything will fit.
    Otherwise Away roller for everything. That’s a pain to access for security etc though.

2 bags - 256 plus Journeyman. Tricky to carry.

Go buy a 48 duffle...

4. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Journeyman plus medium duffle would be my combo. One carry on the back, another by your side. Plenty of space, maybe too much...

5. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

You are supposed to agree with me and get him to buy a new bag!!
    I think @mgrennier could go round the world for a month on Journeyman + medium duffle ;-)

6. OtterMeanGreen

You’ve inspired me. Medium duffel with a packed Journeyman inside, now there’s your one bag approach. Would it fit?

7. OtterMeanGreen

:lol: @mgrennier already has an Otter Green 48HR though

8. bart

bart Active Member

I have always carried my 256 and checked a nylon roller. Knife goes in the roller. Unless I forget - leading to some of my stories.

9. CCF1897

CCF1897 Well-Known Member

White Wing is a line under the Mission Mercantile company and they produce quality items in my experience. They did a line of bags exclusive for "The Sporting Gent" a few years back in this traditional camo. I am not sure that they were trying to "rip off filson" vs creating three or four "hunting blind" type bags for sportsman. Regardless, I love some of their items, specifically the current line up of gun cases. Very nice looking to me.

10. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

I think you are right. I’d forgotten and it wasn’t in his list. Hmm.

11. OtterMeanGreen

I’m certainly not knocking the company as a whole. The price is reflected of the seller and not the company either. I’m sure they have great products. Having said that, since this example is being sold at premium prices, it (to me) is an unoriginal copy, only changing material, color and leather accents. The layout is quintessential Filson Sportsman, which is a totally unique design specifically limited to Filson only. Plus this seller is ripping off the Filson name by using it in his listing title.

Would inspiration be a better word to use then rip off?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

12. FilsonDude

FilsonDude Well-Known Member

Does this quote apply here

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatneas

13. OtterMeanGreen

Haha not the first time it’s been used on these pages. There was one copy that was being sold as a Filson but had no Filson markings. Plus Vermillyea Pelle can attribute that phrase to their design, however they are truly Filson quality, so I don’t mean that as an insult.

What was that ripped off #258 bag name though, which was given by the seller upon being challenged. Come to think of it I believe it was me who challenged him, as I’m known to do from time to time so I can just look that up in my archive.

14. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

oh my. I'd totally forgotten to list my 48 hour. I love that bag - really great to carry on a plane but not as great when carrying it to a meeting but I may try that this time. I'm only with the client for 3 hours in the morning then totally solo the rest of the time. The 48 might be a good solution. The medium duffle is way overkill for this trip...

15. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Exactly. If you have all your belongings at the client site the 48 works well. If you have all your stuff at the hotel and just need your computer then the 48 is a little big. Then it’s 256 + 48. And Otter’s idea of the 256 nested in the 48.
    Also you could take just one shoulder strap to save bulk. Put it on the 256 for day use and on the 48 at the airport when the 256 is inside it.