• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

GzStudio

Reaction score
at $25 for shipping from Kansas, you don't have to worry about that. Is he on your hit list?

Yes for a few reasons. Big one is creating a new user name to go around my blocked bidders list. On top of that, I believe he had a friend sign up and buy a bag he wanted from me that I would not sell to him. I will not be surprised if that bag shows up under his handle soon.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes for a few reasons. Big one is creating a new user name to go around my blocked bidders list. On top of that, I believe he had a friend sign up and buy a bag he wanted from me that I would not sell to him. I will not be surprised if that bag shows up under his handle soon.
HAHA I had always wondered if buyers were doing that nonsense when I blocked them. That is why I am so nervous about leaving bad buyer feedback or blocking potential buyers that rubbed me the wrong way. Hope it works out for you.

Also what do you think about that Sportsman ripoff? It reminded me of that #70258 ripoff we had noticed last year. Forget what it was called though.

speedy611

Reaction score
Gentlemen and (now) ladies.

Question for you in terms of what you'd travel with. I want to see what bag(s) the folks on this thread would carry for the following scenario:
- one night trip to visit a client in Atlanta (3 hour presentation Wednesday morning)
- Travel day: jeans/sport coat - maybe light overcoat for rain
- Client visit: slacks/ same sport coat
- Same pair of shoes both days
- 1 pr. underwear, 1 under-shirt, 1 pair socks

In other words, I'll be packing: 1 dress shirt, 1 pair slacks, 1 pair socks, 1 pair underwear, 1 undershirt, toiletry bag.

At my disposal is the full gamut of bags and gear:
Journeyman backpack
Heritage Sportsman
Medium Duffle
Roller suitcase (Away)

What would you pick and why?
@mgrennier
I’m assuming there is laptop + gubbins as well.

A one bag approach would be nice wouldn’t it? A 48hr duffle would work well for this. I used to do very similar with Sydney - Melbourne trips.

But for your available bags - 257 or Journeyman if everything will fit.
Otherwise Away roller for everything. That’s a pain to access for security etc though.

2 bags - 256 plus Journeyman. Tricky to carry.

Go buy a 48 duffle...

TinMan3

Reaction score
@mgrennier
I’m assuming there is laptop + gubbins as well.

A one bag approach would be nice wouldn’t it? A 48hr duffle would work well for this. I used to do very similar with Sydney - Melbourne trips.

But for your available bags - 257 or Journeyman if everything will fit.
Otherwise Away roller for everything. That’s a pain to access for security etc though.

2 bags - 256 plus Journeyman. Tricky to carry.

Go buy a 48 duffle...
Journeyman plus medium duffle would be my combo. One carry on the back, another by your side. Plenty of space, maybe too much...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Journeyman plus medium duffle would be my combo. One carry on the back, another by your side. Plenty of space, maybe too much...
You’ve inspired me. Medium duffel with a packed Journeyman inside, now there’s your one bag approach. Would it fit?

bart

Reaction score
Beautiful! What’s your secret with international airplane travel? Something tells me you don’t carry on, unless you’re law enforcement. My sister who’s a detective with an FBI task force just flew with her glock on her hip and her partner was chewing tobacco during the flight :lol: . Not saying I support that last part, since I had nail clippers confiscated once.
I have always carried my 256 and checked a nylon roller. Knife goes in the roller. Unless I forget - leading to some of my stories.

CCF1897

Reaction score
Another blatant Filson Ripoff. In this case it's the Sportsman. For the price he's charging you can get a real one and have left over coin to fill it with some hobby related gear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-WHITE-WING-CAMO-LEATHER-DUFFLE-BAG-TRAVEL-FILSON-ORVIS-USA-WEEKEND/392234751779?hash=item5b53035723:g:lYIAAOSwCR9cXv1o:rk:187:pf:0

View attachment 1124266
White Wing is a line under the Mission Mercantile company and they produce quality items in my experience. They did a line of bags exclusive for "The Sporting Gent" a few years back in this traditional camo. I am not sure that they were trying to "rip off filson" vs creating three or four "hunting blind" type bags for sportsman. Regardless, I love some of their items, specifically the current line up of gun cases. Very nice looking to me.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White Wing is a line under the Mission Mercantile company and they produce quality items in my experience. They did a line of bags exclusive for "The Sporting Gent" a few years back in this traditional camo. I am not sure that they were trying to "rip off filson" vs creating three or four "hunting blind" type bags for sportsman. Regardless, I love some of their items, specifically the current line up of gun cases. Very nice looking to me.
I’m certainly not knocking the company as a whole. The price is reflected of the seller and not the company either. I’m sure they have great products. Having said that, since this example is being sold at premium prices, it (to me) is an unoriginal copy, only changing material, color and leather accents. The layout is quintessential Filson Sportsman, which is a totally unique design specifically limited to Filson only. Plus this seller is ripping off the Filson name by using it in his listing title.

Would inspiration be a better word to use then rip off?

Last edited:

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Does this quote apply here

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatneas

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this quote apply here

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatneas
Haha not the first time it’s been used on these pages. There was one copy that was being sold as a Filson but had no Filson markings. Plus Vermillyea Pelle can attribute that phrase to their design, however they are truly Filson quality, so I don’t mean that as an insult.

What was that ripped off #258 bag name though, which was given by the seller upon being challenged. Come to think of it I believe it was me who challenged him, as I’m known to do from time to time so I can just look that up in my archive.

mgrennier

Reaction score
I think you are right. I’d forgotten and it wasn’t in his list. Hmm.
oh my. I'd totally forgotten to list my 48 hour. I love that bag - really great to carry on a plane but not as great when carrying it to a meeting but I may try that this time. I'm only with the client for 3 hours in the morning then totally solo the rest of the time. The 48 might be a good solution. The medium duffle is way overkill for this trip...

speedy611

Reaction score
oh my. I'd totally forgotten to list my 48 hour. I love that bag - really great to carry on a plane but not as great when carrying it to a meeting but I may try that this time. I'm only with the client for 3 hours in the morning then totally solo the rest of the time. The 48 might be a good solution. The medium duffle is way overkill for this trip...
Exactly. If you have all your belongings at the client site the 48 works well. If you have all your stuff at the hotel and just need your computer then the 48 is a little big. Then it’s 256 + 48. And Otter’s idea of the 256 nested in the 48.
Also you could take just one shoulder strap to save bulk. Put it on the 256 for day use and on the 48 at the airport when the 256 is inside it.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.