• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Hmm interesting. I would keep trying the chat feature. It’s always worked for me on the first or second attempt. Plus it gives you time to articulate your responses or questions instead of having to try and stumble them out after the frustrating wait on the phone.

Well someone finally picked up ... got it done in just under a hour.
Hopefully the first and only time I need to reach out to them about damaged/defective goods. He knew right away what I was calling about once I said cups. A lot of others have been returning the made in China Smokey Bear cups. You’d just assume that perhaps they’d check them out in Seattle before sending them out the door to customers.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another blatant Filson Ripoff. In this case it's the Sportsman. For the price he's charging you can get a real one and have left over coin to fill it with some hobby related gear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTA...item5b53035723:g:lYIAAOSwCR9cXv1o:rk:187:pf:0

Sportsman ripoff.PNG

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also check these two listings out. One is a very old patinated Talon Otter Green #257. The other is a nicely aged Talon Otter Green #256 without much patina; both are beautiful. The $256 looks to be a similar build era to my #257.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FI...tcX3hE:sc:USPSPriority!08087!US!-1:rk:82:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-257...=item26138a4b8e:g:fZYAAOSwkNFcYKMS:rk:10:pf:0
Both of those look like 257's. Although one does not have the clasp strap....

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of those look like 257's. Although one does not have the clasp strap....

:facepalm: Duh!! Of course, how did I miss that. Might be the dim low amount of photos he took. Good catch mgrennier

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
beware of the seller of this one.

at $25 for shipping from Kansas, you don't have to worry about that. Is he on your hit list?

GzStudio

Reaction score
at $25 for shipping from Kansas, you don't have to worry about that. Is he on your hit list?

Yes for a few reasons. Big one is creating a new user name to go around my blocked bidders list. On top of that, I believe he had a friend sign up and buy a bag he wanted from me that I would not sell to him. I will not be surprised if that bag shows up under his handle soon.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes for a few reasons. Big one is creating a new user name to go around my blocked bidders list. On top of that, I believe he had a friend sign up and buy a bag he wanted from me that I would not sell to him. I will not be surprised if that bag shows up under his handle soon.

HAHA I had always wondered if buyers were doing that nonsense when I blocked them. That is why I am so nervous about leaving bad buyer feedback or blocking potential buyers that rubbed me the wrong way. Hope it works out for you.

Also what do you think about that Sportsman ripoff? It reminded me of that #70258 ripoff we had noticed last year. Forget what it was called though.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen and (now) ladies.

Question for you in terms of what you'd travel with. I want to see what bag(s) the folks on this thread would carry for the following scenario:
- one night trip to visit a client in Atlanta (3 hour presentation Wednesday morning)
- Travel day: jeans/sport coat - maybe light overcoat for rain
- Client visit: slacks/ same sport coat
- Same pair of shoes both days
- 1 pr. underwear, 1 under-shirt, 1 pair socks

In other words, I'll be packing: 1 dress shirt, 1 pair slacks, 1 pair socks, 1 pair underwear, 1 undershirt, toiletry bag.

At my disposal is the full gamut of bags and gear:
Journeyman backpack
Heritage Sportsman
Medium Duffle
Roller suitcase (Away)

What would you pick and why?

@mgrennier
I’m assuming there is laptop + gubbins as well.

A one bag approach would be nice wouldn’t it? A 48hr duffle would work well for this. I used to do very similar with Sydney - Melbourne trips.

But for your available bags - 257 or Journeyman if everything will fit.
Otherwise Away roller for everything. That’s a pain to access for security etc though.

2 bags - 256 plus Journeyman. Tricky to carry.

Go buy a 48 duffle...

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mgrennier
I’m assuming there is laptop + gubbins as well.

A one bag approach would be nice wouldn’t it? A 48hr duffle would work well for this. I used to do very similar with Sydney - Melbourne trips.

But for your available bags - 257 or Journeyman if everything will fit.
Otherwise Away roller for everything. That’s a pain to access for security etc though.

2 bags - 256 plus Journeyman. Tricky to carry.

Go buy a 48 duffle...
Journeyman plus medium duffle would be my combo. One carry on the back, another by your side. Plenty of space, maybe too much...

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Journeyman plus medium duffle would be my combo. One carry on the back, another by your side. Plenty of space, maybe too much...

You are supposed to agree with me and get him to buy a new bag!!
I think @mgrennier could go round the world for a month on Journeyman + medium duffle ;-)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You’ve inspired me. Medium duffel with a packed Journeyman inside, now there’s your one bag approach. Would it fit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads