1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

It’s great. The Northway is oil finished shelter cloth, but it’s lined with flannel, so it’s a med weight jacket, if it looks like the weather is going to turn, I’ll toss my vest in the truck. I try to walk 2 miles daily, and when it’s in the 30s I’ll wind up unzipping it to cool off. It was fine tonight with the sweatshirt and scarf, 23 when we got back to the room.
    I am in DC for the Intermot show, then the A&S museum.

2. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

My dad always carried a buck knife when I younger. In my early twenties, I bought a nice case knife from Bass Pro Shop with every intention of carrying it daily, but found that I didn't like for it to be loose in my front pants pocket. I looked into getting a clip installed on it, but decided the knife was too thick and the case too round to sit on it comfortably. I still own it and use it occasionally to open letters or packages around the house, but I ended up purchasing a more modern knife for daily carry. I own quite a few Benchmade knives now and carry the Triage model most days.

3. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

The Northway really is a fantastic jacket. I purchased mine new from a Filson retail store the first season it was available. I was surprised to see them put it on sale this year during the winter sale. I'm guessing that means they are discontinuing it. If you can find one still available through a third party vendor or on eBay, I highly recommend it.

4. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

I decided to recently go with the Buck 505 as my super small EDC.

Pic posted next to my airpods for size.

Will be buying a 55 or something similar soon as well. My daily cutting responsibilities are mostly tied directly to the number of Amazon boxes that find our way here. So I’m not exactly chopping too much wood

image.jpg

5. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

I must agree, i seem to grab it every time I leave the house lately, keep it right near the door.

6. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

I think Vermont Gear still has a few in stock

7. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

96935F31-43E8-44C0-A598-9E268CF01FDE.jpeg C3D09338-C4B7-4AD2-B924-8F38C9C3C477.jpeg
    Speaking of small, check this one out. I bought it when I was seventeen, and carried it for years! You can’t see it well but the rosewood is worn down around the rivets & bolsters from being in my pocket.

8. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. I’m not exactly a knife guy, but love my benchmade for the clip onto the jeans and practicality of the size. @OtterMeanGreen thats a great knife and I look forward to hearing about it in daily life. I can truly say I use my knife every single day for something.

9. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior Member

stratkak, I will say that your opinion is very valuable to me and may be contratry to some on those who frequently visit this thread, but I appreciate your point of view...even if I don't love that Filson (my own opinion here) is pushing that "tin cloth" and "rugged twill" bags cost to same to manufacture.

10. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

I was actually referring to your newly acquired 10088. Is yours a medium and if so, where did you find it?

11. OtterMeanGreen

Does it make for a good spring/fall jacket? Or does the 3.5oz flannel make for a sweaty experience?

12. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

I got it Friday so I’ve only worn it around the house, I’ll give you a report when I have weather data. I did a search, when I saw Filson that stopped listening them, and found (medium, I think there are 4 left...) at Vermont Gear.
    I really like it, I’d say it is perfect for those seasons, the sleeves are lined (with nylon?) so you aren’t in contact with the oil. If I’m building up heat on a long walk I’ll just unzip it. As I said previously, I keep it near the door and grab it for walks, errands etc. if it’s snowing and miserably cold out, I’ll throw on a vest, but most likely grab the Mac.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

13. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

Thank you.

14. bart

bart Active Member

Someone queue the crocodile Dundee quote and I’ll post the knife I carry everyday.

My dad was always a buck guy (though he has been carrying case pocket knives lately) and got me my first good folder which was a Buck 2 blade. Cut myself badly once, lost it and bought the same knife again later. Never carry it though.

He has a 119 he has had for about 45 years. It’s been through some things!

Otter, your two blade idea isn’t bad, but if I were doing that the second one would be a 5” or so fixed blade.

Knives were a much bigger obsession for me than Filson at one time and I have Several custom made ones, a few of my own design.

15. OtterMeanGreen

Thanks! Fixed blade you say, hadn’t considered one of those. Filson has a pretty cool collaboration with Buck and this one caught my attention

https://www.filson.com/104-compadre-camp-knife.html#sku=20138054-fco-000002341

09214290-8F43-44FB-9596-DAAF13545A68.gif

FE44A9A7-49A2-4BFD-A5E7-FA791DB3BDDE.jpeg