• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
Hey all! Longtime lurker here and now I am turning to you pros for a very odd piece of advice. Sorry in advance.

I have blacked out original briefcase that I bought about two years for everyday carry. Every time I use it, it's awesome. It fits my MacBook, camera, notebooks, Anker, everything I need day in, day out. I love it beyond reason, but I just don't get to carry it enough as I would like.

The problem is I'm a swimmer and I commute to work by train, which makes for oddball packing a lot of the time.

I leave the house, local pool, jump on the train, off to work. I have my carry down to the absolute minimum – trunks, micro fleece towel, chlorine removal soap, that sort of thing, but it adds up. Together with the everyday stuff, it's just that little too big for the briefcase, so I find myself packing a canvas messenger bag

Do I just stuff the hell out of my briefcase? Get something bigger like a tote (which feels profligate)? Carry two bags (which is super cumbersome)?

Also, if you know a more appropriate place for a neurotic question like this, point me there instead :crazy:

I would definitely recommend the 258 as one option. You might be able to get all your gear inside .... a 258 will hold your computer and about 4 regular nalgene bottles across the inside, plus one on either side in the outside pockets by shoulder strap points. You could optionally add another nalgene bottle's worth of space under the leather handles and on top of the cover flap. This would all look pretty overloaded but the bag will definitely handle it. Question is your strength for carrying all that weight by the handles or shoulder strap. If you are a swimmer I can imagine shoulder carry is no problem. You could also do your original briefcase plus the 266 Sportsman for a two-bag config. Carrying two Filson bags may be cumbersome but you'll have double the chances of being approached by another Filson bag fan! Haha.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget too that transport costs have plummeted in the last 50 years with the advent of the shipping container. So it’s now possible to part make goods in various places and then ship / deliver to their final marketplaces - and to do so at costs that were previously impossible. Also these cost reductions apply across the supply chain - from raw materials like iron ore through to finished goods - their ease of production and cost to store and transport are orders of magnitude lower.

So miUSA ends up having to be boutique / craft / heritage because it’s literally impossible to compete on price. Whether there are any actual quality benefits for miusa is another matter - it’s not logically a given.
Hey guys. Took a few days away from the Forum due to a work project. You’ve been ACTIVE!

Speedy. Curious as to your perception of MiUSA from your side of the pond? What is the perception over there?

My perception of your part of the world is pretty positive - primarily due to Barbour, Land Rover and the Spice Girls.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this nice bag on my flight tonight. Nice looking otter green 256. Very well aged. Almost makes me wonder if I shouldn’t try for a green bag one day.

0A50CBB3-322E-49F2-B250-3960F71C246F.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this nice bag on my flight tonight. Nice looking otter green 256. Very well aged. Almost makes me wonder if I shouldn’t try for a green bag one day.

View attachment 1121861

Welcome back Mgrennier. Nice Filson spot. I can see you having an Otter Green Rugged Twill Filson one day, question is what bag? I think that photo is excellent representation of the why the Talon Zipper is superior; they will always close.

I MAKE A JOKE

borat.jpg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Took a few days away from the Forum due to a work project. You’ve been ACTIVE!

Speedy. Curious as to your perception of MiUSA from your side of the pond? What is the perception over there?

My perception of your part of the world is pretty positive - primarily due to Barbour, Land Rover and the Spice Girls.

(Warning. Long post ahead. Little Filson content. No pretty pictures...)

It’s tricky isn’t it? Made in the UK tend to be traditionally English things like Jaguars, Minis, Barbour, Clark’s shoes. Jags and minis are respectively owned by India and Germany...

As to how MiUSA is regarded from here. Well, I’m not sure I could cite a consensus view because it’s just not really talked about.

My own view is this. For commodity goods including big ticket items like white goods and cars I’d seek the best price/ quality/ functionality ratio. I think that the more complex the item the greater the need for global supply chain in order to make it affordable.

For simpler things I will consider brand and quality as more pressing than price - thus Filson and Redwing. Their long heritage speaks to commitment and quality. That it’s miUSA is a bonus because these are particularly american items. But if it were say a watch I just wouldn’t care that’s it miUSA unless the brand already has some sort of heritage that I find meaningful.

Ultimately (and as a technologist) I see that all progress has emerged from collaboration. That’s happening now at a scale and speed that’s unprecedented. I think it’s inevitable that more and more of our goods will be from so many sources that “made in” will be rather token.

If the real question is about job and skill retention then that’s a whole different can of worms. I suspect that there may be other ways to provide work for Americans than taking a miUSA view. Let’s also not forget the challenge of low wage “work” that fills job numbers and lowers unemployment figures whilst leaving many near the poverty line. I’d far rather see higher paying jobs for people that might not result in a miUSA outcome.

...you did ask!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of MiUSA
@johnnymiz so I checked out Jacob Bromwell's website and I must say I am highly impressed with what I saw, albeit still incredibly overpriced with many of their items, like the $150 funnel you would need to fill the small opening (should probably be included with the $300 price). With that said, I can sort of see the allure to owning something like that.

https://www.jacobbromwell.com/vermonter-flask

https://www.jacobbromwell.com/standard-funnel

This video is awesome to by the way.

<iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sunvalleypow

Reaction score
filson240.jpg
Just a quick hello - stumbled onto this thread by accident while trying to learn more about Filson bags/brand. I don't get the sense there are a lot of women like me on this particular thread (maybe I'm wrong?) but wanted to thank you for the depth of information, opinions and knowledge here :) You guys- especially the really active ones - have a passion that is very engaging :) I actually have the same passion for/collecting certain vintage bags from another heritage brand - primarily in natural saddle leathers - so I appreciate the depth of knowledge you all have. Also thanks to you...I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on a couple of Talon-era Filsons from your friend GZStudio. One has arrived and the other's on its way. I'm a documentary film-maker and travel a lot internationally to the Himalayas - so am loving the bags for their utility and ruggedness. (horse hair tassel fob is my addition) :) So thank you again for such a great thread.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
OMG,
I will say that the copper flask is amazing and just exudes hand made quality and the shinola watch clearly has that filson overbuilt vibe. I just personally dont think theyre worth the cost TO ME. Others may think differently. Just like some people think the cost of a rolex is silly, but if you handle a sea dweller, even the most sceptical will be hard pressed not to see everything about it oozes quality, overbuilt, class, polish, rugged beauty, perfect fit and finish.

You know, looking at that website, the flask is 300 and the leather cover is 150, i think.....making the filson version a bargain at about $100 off the bromwell price. Filson is cheap....hahahahah

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1121944 Just a quick hello - stumbled onto this thread by accident while trying to learn more about Filson bags/brand. I don't get the sense there are a lot of women like me on this particular thread (maybe I'm wrong?) but wanted to thank you for the depth of information, opinions and knowledge here :) You guys- especially the really active ones - have a passion that is very engaging :) I actually have the same passion for/collecting certain vintage bags from another heritage brand - primarily in natural saddle leathers - so I appreciate the depth of knowledge you all have. Also thanks to you...I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on a couple of Talon-era Filsons from your friend GZStudio. One has arrived and the other's on its way. I'm a documentary film-maker and travel a lot internationally to the Himalayas - so am loving the bags for their utility and ruggedness. (horse hair tassel fob is my addition) :) So thank you again for such a great thread.

Welcome aboard the S.S. Filson it's nice to have you. Very Nice Talon Era #240 Small Carry On. I hear those are excellent for photographers and will except many padded dividers. Your job sounds like it's one that requires well made products, so you were right in choosing Filson. My twin brother is in a similar industry, he's a Photo Journalist for NBC. No Filson for him though, not yet at least.

GzStudio

Reaction score
View attachment 1121944 Just a quick hello - stumbled onto this thread by accident while trying to learn more about Filson bags/brand. I don't get the sense there are a lot of women like me on this particular thread (maybe I'm wrong?) but wanted to thank you for the depth of information, opinions and knowledge here :) You guys- especially the really active ones - have a passion that is very engaging :) I actually have the same passion for/collecting certain vintage bags from another heritage brand - primarily in natural saddle leathers - so I appreciate the depth of knowledge you all have. Also thanks to you...I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on a couple of Talon-era Filsons from your friend GZStudio. One has arrived and the other's on its way. I'm a documentary film-maker and travel a lot internationally to the Himalayas - so am loving the bags for their utility and ruggedness. (horse hair tassel fob is my addition) :) So thank you again for such a great thread.

Welcome and the bag looks fantastic, . You will absolutely love the next one that’s on its way to you. Sounds like you will no doubt put them to great use!

sunvalleypow

Reaction score
Welcome and the bag looks fantastic, . You will absolutely love the next one that’s on its way to you. Sounds like you will no doubt put them to great use!

My husband is Scottish so we also spend quite a bit of time in Edinburgh and the Highlands....the weather hardiness of the waxed twill is perfect. Can’t believe it took me so long to get turned on to Filson. Always forward!:fonz:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My husband is Scottish so we also spend quite a bit of time in Edinburgh and the Highlands....the weather hardiness of the waxed twill is perfect. Can’t believe it took me so long to get turned on to Filson. Always forward!:fonz:
First, welcome from me! Happy to have anyone and everyone in this group. The value is truly in its diversity of cultures and life experiences.

Out of curiosity, have you given the clothing a chance? I started as a bag addict and now have an equal appreciation for both. Really really love the wool garments and the shirting, though not madenin USA, is second to almost none in terms of quality and ruggedness.

sunvalleypow

Reaction score
First, welcome from me! Happy to have anyone and everyone in this group. The value is truly in its diversity of cultures and life experiences.

Out of curiosity, have you given the clothing a chance? I started as a bag addict and now have an equal appreciation for both. Really really love the wool garments and the shirting, though not madenin USA, is second to almost none in terms of quality and ruggedness.

Thank you :) I have not looked at the clothing yet...though I made a note of the Mackinaw Cruisers that some folks here were sharing. I think that looks like something my husband would love. I personally have a few Barbours in the closet but will take a look at Filson clothes now too...slippery slope i fear.

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A warm welcome from me also. Congrats on your new bags - I hope they serve you well. I’m sure we’d all love to see them in action on a shoot. What sort of documentaries do you make? Great to have a female perspective on the thread too.

I second Tinman on clothing. The care and quality are fantastic - well worth a look. I’m in the UK and have Barbours etc but my Filson gear translates perfectly, so your Scottish connection would be well served. Do buy in the US and bring it with you though! Less choice and greater cost in the UK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads