1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

That makes sense. I don’t use the rest of the forum, and just come straight here, so don’t see the main page. I have sometimes wondered if we’d be better off on a FB group or something, but it makes it harder for others to find, and we’d lose all the continuity. This thread is nearly 10 years old.

2. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

You’re right about that. We also just recently hit 14,000 posts too and nearing the 1000 page mark. I figured after more than 2,000 dedicated posts on this thread, that it was time to expand outwards. Spoilers it’s a car thread (on StyleForum I know, right), but a good group of guys, although nowhere near the quality of you fine gentleman!

3. bart

bart Active Member

I’m one of the newbies in the thread. I posted because I knew about the thread (bought my 256 new 8 years ago from cranes and posted on here) and then was interested in another bag and wasn’t sure what so I came back to the thread.

4. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Gentlemen - it's high time we insert our own little mole er, inside expert, into this little company we so dearly appreciate. I'm posting their careers site and encourage someone, ANYONE, on this thread to apply for a job there and, while there, work your way up to the design group inside Bedrock and, while there, get all the inside information that we so desperately need and, while there, build me a 24 hour bag in 22 oz twill.

Thank you

Here is the link: https://www.filson.com/our-company/careers

5. OtterMeanGreen

No chance, I’m going straight for the bucket of Talon Zippers and motto patches in the archives and making a break for it. :lol:

6. Samgoody

Samgoody Member

Anyone have experience with the Grab N Go Medium Tote? I have a rugged twill tote already, but am looking for something to use more as a grocery bag -- something to leave in the back of the car. I like the looks of the tan one....

7. OtterMeanGreen

Sorry unrelated comment but every time I see your name I immediately think of Joey Tribbiani from FRIENDS :lol:. I actually am old enough here to say that i once shopped there for CD’s and maybe even some cassette tapes

4694AFB7-1BAF-45C9-87FD-0322406DB8B2.jpeg

8. CCF1897

CCF1897 Well-Known Member

I also see it pop up in filson searches more often as it did in the past.

9. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

I have the large version. It’s the unshowy and under sung hero of my Filson bags. It’s very tough, looks good and has lots of space. The big end pockets are very handy.

C1785469-3AC9-4E26-A5B4-E657E1587682.jpeg

We use it for everything and anything including groceries, an overflow bag for the kids stuff when traveling, taking parcels to to post office etc etc. It lives in a scrunched up ball in the coat closet in the manner of a Harry Potter elf.

However, I got a huge deal on it and paid the equivalent of $65. I wouldn’t pay full retail.

Hope this helps?

10. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Just saw this tote in a local fly fishing store and really liked it! I've thought about picking one up myself. It looks great!

11. OtterMeanGreen

In case anyone is interested, Harry's has actually lowered their dopp kit by $5. Glad to see that they're passing their savings off to their customers. It's an excellent Dopp Kit and I've been using mine now for awhile and the quality is exceptional for what you pay. It's made from an Italian twill and the liner is very cool indeed. The zippers are also very sturdy and don't show any sign of letting me down.

This is a minimalist kit so be advised. I am still able to carry quite a lot though and it fits quite nicely on one side next to my packing cubes in the #246

https://www.harrys.com/en/us/produc...82diHTQXXcUVYKZ6LwBsUOqQKkwUAvpBoCatwQAvD_BwE

EE7209DE-FBAC-4ED6-92BE-9323FA97B645.jpeg

12. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Speaking of dopp kits, I've had my eye on one from DSPTCH for a long time, but just haven't been able to bring myself to pay $62 for it yet. You can check it out here:

https://www.dsptch.com/collections/cases/products/dopp-kit

Currently I use the Backcountry Organizer #3 from Outdoor Research, which is a bargain at full retail, and an even better deal when you can find it on sale! I think I paid $18 for mine last winter. You can check it out here:

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/au/en/backcountry-organizer-3/p/2427090042222

I prefer something soft sided that can easily be shoved into the spare space of a duffel without taking up too much room.

13. OtterMeanGreen

I love the tray on the DSPTCH; incredibly unique. I hear you about the price, which is why I was happy when I learned about Harry's Kit, even though I'm a Wet Shaver and don't really use any of their products. That Backcountry Dopp is pretty cool too, how well does it contain the contents size when all folded up, especially the more 3D items

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019

14. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

I like the tray a lot too. I always worry about leaving something behind like my wedding ring or my watch... having the tray would encourage me to put all of my small valuables together! It's one of the major selling points of the dopp kit.

The Backcountry organizer really is great. It is quite larger but molds to the shape of whatever is inside of it, unless it's packed to it's limit. This makes it easy to shove into the sides or ends of a duffel that is already fully packed.

15. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

And now for something totally different...

I've owned a lot of Filson products over the years. My first Filson purchase was a wool guide jacket when they collaborate with JCrew back in 2013(ish). The jacket was the best quality garment I had ever owned and I was completed sold... since then I've owned jackets, vests, t-shirts, button ups, all types of their bags... but I've never purchased any of their more technical garments and I was curious if anyone has any experience with them?

I'm looking at the 3 Layer Field Jacket: https://www.filson.com/3-layer-field-jacket.html

Thoughts? Opinions?