• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of moleskin, Filson moleskin trou after snow shoveling and sans boots:
gyiMCDt.jpg

Stratkat

Reaction score
Can someone post a pic of the suede pouch? It's apparently not on the Filson site any more, but was considering grabbing one or two for my new bag for cables and various stuff I carry in my bag...
Peg & Awl has some cool canvas pouches with YKK zippers, maybe not exactly what you are looking for but a possible alternative. I’ve ordered a few yesterday, I’ll post some pics when they arrive.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really wish Filson sold a bag with the rugged twill material that also had a trolley strap. I love my briefcase but really would wish for convenience that it would attach to my carry-on suitcase's handle in some way that doesn't involve me jerryrigging the shoulder strap to it.

Has anyone tried sewing some type of strap to their briefcase or other rugged twill bag that serves as a trolley strap? Tried to find pictures of this online but could not. I imagine it would void the warranty for sure but still.
This was mentioned a week or so back. Try this:
https://www.styleforum.net/posts/9600985/
Still a work around but probably better than nothing.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone post a pic of the suede pouch? It's apparently not on the Filson site any more, but was considering grabbing one or two for my new bag for cables and various stuff I carry in my bag...
Here’s my medium. Roughout one side, smooth the other. Size is 24cm / 9.5 inches across.
Very beefy build, nice to handle.

564019FF-9C2A-4FFF-8675-B264A418A8B2.jpeg
C0A2102F-DCDE-4F66-866A-19D5453CF1AE.jpeg

woodsjw

Reaction score

I've got a couple of the dark brown suede pouches that I use in my briefcase... I'll try to remember to take a couple photos of them later tonight and post the pictures. Meanwhile, @speedy611 posted a couple of photos of the lighter, almost yellow, leather suede pouches below.

Last edited:

woodsjw

Reaction score
Anyone use one of the small bags as a gym bag? Say a small duffel, or 24hr bag.

I picked up a VP Weekender duffel a few months back and considered selling my Filson small duffel, but decided to repurpose it as a gym bag. For me it's the perfect size, I keep running gear, cycling gear, gloves for lifting, and my the pants and shoes I use for bouldering.

I wouldn't keep anything to sweaty in one for long though... the twill will hold the smell.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone use one of the small bags as a gym bag? Say a small duffel, or 24hr bag.

If you have smaller feet the 24HR could work as they have these great interior twin pockets on one side of the main compartment, that could fit shoes nicely. My size 13's wouldn't fit though, so I couldn't tell you for certain, but plenty of pockets is usually a good thing for organization (unlike a small duffel).

Last edited:

dangaa

Reaction score
For those of you who are still on the fence on some of the goods on sale right now it looks like they've lowered the prices further online.

I ordered the small pullman at $289.90 and now its $199.90 -

Glad I was able to get a credit for the difference through their CS department even though it took 45 mins or so waiting on hold.

Canuckle

Reaction score
Yeah I saw that they had some deals. The roll-on suitcases are also over 50% off.

The Filson wallet is marked down to $54.90 (from $135).

The small pullman at $199 is definitely tempting.

There is also a small black duffle bag on for $161.

Canuckle

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of the experts here happened to know when the last month was that Filson stopped using YKK branded YKK zippers and switched to "Filson" branded YZZ?

My bag is dated 03/09 and has YKK zippers.

Today, I saw this Pullman that had sold on ebay and it was dated 07/09 and it had "Filson" branded zippers.

Just wondering if anyone has an earlier bag than 07/09 that has the "Filson" stamped zippers.
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (9).jpg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of the experts here happened to know when the last month was that Filson stopped using YKK branded YKK zippers and switched to "Filson" branded YZZ?

My bag is dated 03/09 and has YKK zippers.

Today, I saw this Pullman that had sold on ebay and it was dated 07/09 and it had "Filson" branded zippers.

Just wondering if anyone has an earlier bag than 07/09 that has the "Filson" stamped zippers. View attachment 1107152 View attachment 1107153
Well, there isn’t a hard cutoff. I had a 2011 bag that had YKK zips. The date when it ceased to be the norm, far as a month, I couldn’t tell you, but 2009 seems to be the year.

Has anyone seen an earlier than 2009 bag that has the Filson branded zips?

Canuckle

Reaction score
Well, there isn’t a hard cutoff. I had a 2011 bag that had YKK zips. The date when it ceased to be the norm, far as a month, I couldn’t tell you, but 2009 seems to be the year.

Yeah I know YKK zips were used sporadically for a bit (leftovers maybe?). I guess my real question is like you asked... has anyone ever seen Filson zippers on anything earlier than 07/09 build?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My 1010 Sportsman #266 had Filson-YKK Zippers so that's a negative. I think rather in early 2010 it became more of a norm for the replacement Filson branded zipper pulls. I believe 2009 was more common then not the YKK branded zippers. Also I have seen Filson double up their zippers too. For instance on a Rolling Carry-on I saw recently, they utilized Filson-YKK zippers on the exterior and YKK branded zippers on the interior.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads