1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

AECC16B6-1EC9-45FB-8A13-0D8EF53E3E68.jpeg
    The vest is so practical, you are gonna love it!

2. CCF1897

CCF1897 Well-Known Member

Looks like the link did not come through. Here it is if anyone is interested.

DF6D2960-E637-40D4-B554-88DC933B3F94.jpeg

B2D8CEA1-9E70-415B-AB9B-01C432AB0188.jpeg

CFCF5BD4-D082-466E-AC36-C9CB15593EAB.jpeg

F101A4B1-6F22-4237-86D4-E37F10CB4CA2.jpeg

6E08B047-AEA4-4AC7-B99A-94F73EC3FCA4.jpeg

5261C3A8-F0B8-4A2F-A408-CEE34D90D2B0.jpeg

8D2E1042-2816-4D9C-B1D6-7732AE3B443A.jpeg

3. Canuckle

Canuckle Member

I lucked out tonight big time. I went out to buy a duffle bag I saw tonight on craigslist. It was just posted 30 minutes ago and I jumped on it. Title said "Small Filson Duffle" and the pictures were poor. Guy was asking $170 I offered $150 and he accepted. So I drove out, got there, paid $150 and upon further inspection it isn't a small duffle at all, it is a Medium Travel Bag Model #246. It has YKK zippers and a build date of March 2009 and is in absolutely pristine condition, 9.5/10. Guy said he never used it has basically been sitting in his closet for 10 years. I think I got a pretty awesome deal. I really like this bag a lot. I had previously bought a Medium duffle a year and half ago (bedrock 2016 model) but was unimpressed with the leather quality and zipper quality so I sold it. This 2009 version has beautiful leather though much better quality and the zippers are smooth as butter. I think I may keep this one forever. What do you guys think, pretty good catch?
    00S0S_7oi0UZMrOjE_1200x900.jpg 00H0H_f8OgCR4isma_1200x900.jpg 00q0q_emy3xG6NKD9_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_dLcwKr6xXIH_1200x900.jpg 00Y0Y_5glcX06U9z2_1200x900.jpg 01414_gkHh2oJ01ba_1200x900.jpg 00V0V_iyl2DzChzmC_1200x900.jpg 00D0D_4VfmYFiFPz1_1200x900.jpg 00606_iCWCRDDgwew_1200x900.jpg

4. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Awesome! Definitely a great deal!

5. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

That’s one clean TAN! Great find and congratulations on quite a deal, even at $170 it’s a steal. 2009 was the last year that Filson offered the YKK branded zippers (switching to YKK-Filson branded zippers). Great photos too btw

It’s funny I actually touched up on exactly this topic of sellers not doing their homework before posting, and it was this bags older brother actually (#248 LTB), found On Page 925 (you must’ve have missed it). I mentioned that duffel bags don’t feature exterior pockets and in other words the STB, MTB, LTB often get confused for duffels.

I have a 1990’s Talon MTB, bought from “The GzStudio Collection”

0A90C0BD-80D8-453F-8E8F-99535AEB9E3B.jpeg

BAD9F350-402E-4A36-B0C3-2A3F6C9468E6.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:37 PM

6. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Sunday post - longer read...

I thought I’d do a quick 2018 in review of the Filson stuff I bought and what’s been good. Photo inspired by @OtterMeanGreen from a recent post...

68954755-E55A-436D-B8D8-A805E6CC4F3C.jpeg

I bought 13 items, none at full retail, some at excellent discount. I’m well aware that this is expensive stuff, so I plan my purchases and buy with the intention of keeping and using them for a long time!

Here’s the list in purchase order from January 2018 onward

Tin Packer hat
    2 x vintage flannel shirts
    Moleskin shirt
    Key fob
    Moleskin vest
    Travel tray
    Snap wallet
    Medium suede pouch
    Small field bag
    Ultra Light vest
    Double tin pants
    Mack cap

Accessories:
    The travel tray was a way to get above a shipping price cutoff - it was cheaper to buy it, and get free shipping than to pay the shipping. It folds into a taco for storing stuff flat for travel, as well as expanding to a handy tray.

The suede pouch is gorgeous, but I’m yet to find just the right use for it. Definitely a keeper.

Key fob is used daily and is softening well, and matches my Filson wallet. Modified to remove the big clippy thing in favour of a simple split ring.

Clothing:
    Tin packer hat: just awesome. Practical, good looking. Wonderful in the rain to give you that feeling of being immune to the weather. Can be sweaty in the dry as it doesn’t breathe much. Rewaxed in the fall/autumn.

I love the hand of the vintage flannel. Worn at least once a week. Generously sized, so very easy and comfortable to wear.

Moleskin shirt - a real favourite both for the colour and the comfort. It’s almost like a jacket because it stops so much of the wind.

Moleskin vest - a classic. Love it. Seems to be getting better as it breaks in.

Ultralight vest - seemingly just another insulted vest - but it is more than the sum of it’s parts. Very warm for it’s weight. Lined collar and pockets. Goes well under my Tin Cruiser. Super small to pack for travel. Modern materials but Filson feel.

Double Tin pants: Christmas gift, so too soon to tell, I’ll post more about these when I’ve worn them some more. Had wanted them for a long time though, so excited to get them.

Mackinaw cap (with ear flaps) - deeply discounted. Very comfortable, needs to shrink a little bit for perfect fit. Unique silhouette, looks great with my vintage double Mack cruiser, or tin cruiser.

Bag:
    Small field bag 230 - ‘talon’ era. Paid lots of shipping and customs (relatively) to bring this over from the US. My first vintage Filson bag. The leather is coppery and very soft. This is the bag that makes me want to hop a flight to the US, meet @GzStudio , give him all my ‘modern’ stuff in exchange for lots of older stuff.

Less whimsically, it’s a practical day bag, gets used a lot. It does require a bit of planning in that if you buy anything during the day, it likely won’t fit in the bag. But for water/headphones/iPad/snacks/tea/hat it’s great.

Conclusion
    Is there a single stand out item? No. It all gets used (excepting the suede pouch, but even that sits on my desk and is nice to look at). Better, this stuff all works well together. Every item is excellent quality and makes me feel good when wearing or using it. I’m lucky and grateful to have it. In its own small way it makes life easier and nicer.

7. OtterMeanGreen

Impressive write-up, glad I was the source of inspiration. If I had to pick a favorite it would be your Moleskin Shirt. I'm looking forward to trying one on soon at the flagship store, too bad they won't let me take it for a test drive outside of the store, so I could bear witness to it's attributes (they don't come cheap)

8. OtterMeanGreen

Do you guys see what I'm seeing here, and I'm not referring to the camera (I'm more of a GoPro guy anyway)

9. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I’m inspired, a ‘2018 in Review’ post of my own is forthcoming. I will warn though, my post is heavier in bags than it is in clothing!

So, the moleskin shirt is fantastic. Sadly, I got a steal on a lovat color moleskin shirt, but it’s just a little bit roomier than I prefer. Would need to wear as a Jac shirt, so still considering. The small field bag is also a fantastic add to your collection. Glad you have rounded out your collection with a talon era bag. I hope 2019 is just as fruitful!

10. Centralia

Centralia Member

image.jpeg
    A quick pic of the brief at work yesterday in West Seattle.

As long as I was in the area, and driving right by, my wife and I stopped by the Flagship store. Second visit this week.

Didn't have the camera, but saw something awesome.

The "Workshop" has a briefcase made out of some kind of fabric, perhaps tincloth, but in what I'd describe as Sea-Foam green. Very heavily waxed, so heavy that when you touch it your hands come off greasy. Burgundy leather compliments the bag.

It is truly stunning. A work of art.

The only thing is, I couldn't really see much practical use for it due to the over abundance of oil wax.

There was also a matching zippered tote.

A couple more FRD items had been added, but again nothing too cool.

The other thing on display was a large collection of bag styles in International Orange.

11. CCF1897

CCF1897 Well-Known Member

The filson moleskin shirts are great and I highly recommend, they are a close second to the Pendleton elbow patch trail shirt for me. For Xmas I was given two 9oz chamois shirts from Woolrich, these things are heafty and could be worn as a jac-shirt or tucked in. Just another option to check out. Priced well and have been on sale lately.

12. mdr5401

mdr5401 Member

At SeaTac right now and was forced to check my Pullman for the first time ever! (flying Icelandair).... must've been the added weight of the relaxing ;)

The also made my wife check her AWAY Carry-on.

13. OtterMeanGreen

Agreed and myself included, I have a 50/50 split on bags and clothing though, and it will fail in comparison to @speedy611 or your's I'm sure.

14. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Glad you and Otter are going to do one too! And Otter - its all about quality and enjoyment not volume, so you’re well covered there.

True story: my sister in law was visiting last weekend. She went to put something in my closet. Opened door. Exclaimed in amazement at the rows of boots and vests :)

15. OtterMeanGreen

Thanks man will remember that.