• We would like welcome Enzo Custom as an official Affiliate Vendor. Specializing in custom tailored clothing, and with seven showrooms throughout the country, they are dedicated to guiding you in person through their many options to produce your perfect fitting suit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually picked up one of those Daybags from the Filson Outlet in Marysville, WA before my last trip to Europe in November... I couldn't resist, given the outlet-store markdown + the 35% Off Sale they had. Regardless of whether most would consider it to be a "true filson"; you really can't beat $28 for a U.S. made backpack with a lifetime warranty.

It folds down flat when empty and fits perfectly inside my Pullman between packing cubes. It's great for throwing in a couple jackets, camera, souvenirs, etc. while exploring a new city.View attachment 1104916
Attempting to repack 13 days of clothes, souvenirs, and wine after driving over 2,000 miles, through 6 countries.

View attachment 1104919
SUCCESS! (@ Malpensa Airport)
You can’t beat that price and ability to stow and go. Luckily the Journeyman can also reap those benefits, but the price is certainly much greater. I’m not sure the daybag will compete with the longevity of the Journeyman though, but again, for $28, who cares.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please hold while I get my makeup, moisturizer and toner...
That’s what I thought but the quality & craftsmanship is more what I was focusing on, it appears to be that of Duluth Pack and Frost River to say the least.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My issue wasn't with the stock error, this happens to even the best online retailers... or with how they attempted to remedy the situation... it was with the lack of communication without being prompted by me asking what was going on with my purchase.

I wasn't contacted to be notified that the jacket was out of stock until I had waited over a week for a shipping notification and I finally reached out to see what was going on.

I also wasn't told that I would be notified if one came back in stock, until I expressed my disappointment that my order had been cancelled... it was also about a week before I heard back from them on my initial reply.

It's definitely a busy time for many companies, especially with end of the year sales, but I was disappointed, overall, with how the interaction went because I was left in the dark for most of the interaction and when I was told something, it didn't match what was still being communicated on their website.

I'm not mad... the jacket wasn't even something I "needed" LOL... but, IMHO, the CS followup/communication was lacking and left me untrusting that if I order something else from them in the future that it would be a positive experience.

O'well. Back to your regularly scheduled Filson conversation... ;)
Again I echo that sentiment with my recent interaction with Filson CS. I was kept in the dark for 2 weeks, and when i finally reached out they went with the same excuses that it was out of stock, even though the whole time the website showed “in stock”. Luckily it was a “gift” to myself so I didn’t suffer waiting for a Christmas Eve delivery.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I gave it a quick, light coat last night and I think it turned out well. Might do another after a week or so if I think it needs it. It's pretty tricky to get an even coat, the stuff just soaks in so quick, it's difficult to spread.

I live in California (decent thrifting), but I'm from Minnesota (great thrifting), but I found this bag at a Housing Works in Manhattan.
Wow, looks like NYC thrifting it is, only a 45 minute train ride separates me from thrifting glory.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured you guys would get a kick out of this. I was shopping at Target today and saw something quite familiar to our topic of “Raw Selvedge Denim”. I use quotes because I doubt for this price, it’s indeed Raw Denim. To me it looks aesthetic at best. All of their clothing products are this new company called “Goodfellow”.

F4C5948F-75F2-4381-A836-EF19A2652B0B.jpeg

B4472EAD-DCCE-425D-9699-CD8A00383560.jpeg

4C516D0F-3199-441B-A983-418598236745.jpeg

4C07E0FF-B385-4A11-AE4C-DAB55961364A.jpeg

430EC30F-9B41-410A-B714-D18E286DBF89.jpeg

4137FB31-014B-4D2B-8181-892CEA451E2B.jpeg

92CCCB07-53BD-4373-BD9D-0094612A2134.jpeg

Also they might’ve stole (or borrowed) some of Filson’s thunder with this backpack
6722FD23-C5A5-4559-9C00-9C08143D870C.jpeg

Last edited:

Canuckle

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me more about this Filson bag, based on these photos? Specifically I am wondering roughly what year it is, and if anyone knows the model # and type of bag. It has Talon zippers. When did Filson switch from Talon to YKK?

Thanks a lot!!

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg

CCF1897

Reaction score
I am thinking about selling my Mac Tin Cruiser. This was a 2016 release and the XL’s sold out in about two weeks, it was one and done production. The jacket is a beast. Forest Green wool Mac,lined with flannel and otter green tin cloth overlays over the shoulder and sleeves for extra protection. I’ve only worn it a few times due to my love for my navy single Mac and forest double Mac. It just never found its place in the rotation with everything else I have, but the condition is like new, no marks or signs of wear . I can post pics or message them to anyone that is interested. Size is XL. I’m a 48R and it fits me well, I wear a 46 in both of my other Macs.
The link below was the original filson add for this.

Wanted to put it out to this group first before listing on-line.

Canuckle

Reaction score
That looks like a 242 Large Carry On to me, Canuckle.
@Canuckle its also an earlier edition, likely mid ‘90s, seeing that it does not have the straps to secure the cloth in place like there was on the later ‘90s talon 242s.
Thanks guys. I thought it was a 242 but I was confused because the 242's I looked at had some differences like the front zippered pouch and no straps inside of it to secure clothing (I kind of like that actually).

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me more about this Filson bag, based on these photos? Specifically I am wondering roughly what year it is, and if anyone knows the model # and type of bag. It has Talon zippers. When did Filson switch from Talon to YKK?

Thanks a lot!!

View attachment 1105241 View attachment 1105246 View attachment 1105247 View attachment 1105248
Like @TinMan3 has stated it’s a first edition #242 Large Carry On with Talon Zippers (phased out in 2002-2003). Based on the strap-less interior and leather I put it at 1993-1994. Filson saw multiple revisions in and around 1995-1996, which included the revision of the Small Duffel (220), from a sans storm flap to a model with a storm flap. Good find but if it were me, I would hold out until you found a 2nd edition with interior clothing straps, it just makes life easier living that clamshell lifestyle

woodsjw

Reaction score
Like @TinMan3 has stated it’s a first edition #242 Large Carry On with Talon Zippers (phased out in 2002-2003). Based on the strap-less interior and leather I put it at 1993-1994. Filson saw multiple revisions in and around 1995-1996, which included the revision of the Small Duffel (220), from a sans storm flap to a model with a storm flap. Good find but if it were me, I would hold out until you found a 2nd edition with interior clothing straps, it just makes life easier living that clamshell lifestyle
Packing cubes might make it manageable without the straps.

Stratkat

Reaction score
AECC16B6-1EC9-45FB-8A13-0D8EF53E3E68.jpeg
Also picked up a lined cruiser vest and a wool cap to match. Looks like my new winter theme will be tan and red plaid. BTW, I wasn't sure of size (even though I have many Filson vests) due to the lining of this vest. I am typically a 48L, or an XL in Filson. So I got both the XL and the XXL. The XXL is huge and will get returned, or maybe sold on ebay for higher than purchase price. Anyone who wants it here, can get it for the $160 I paid, plus shipping (anything other than XS is sold out at Filson.com).

View attachment 1105188
The vest is so practical, you are gonna love it!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.