1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. bart

bart Member

I usually carry a light jacket when flying and always carry it under the snapped handles.

2. mdr5401

mdr5401 Member

I actually picked up one of those Daybags from the Filson Outlet in Marysville, WA before my last trip to Europe in November... I couldn't resist, given the outlet-store markdown + the 35% Off Sale they had. Regardless of whether most would consider it to be a "true filson"; you really can't beat $28 for a U.S. made backpack with a lifetime warranty.

It folds down flat when empty and fits perfectly inside my Pullman between packing cubes. It's great for throwing in a couple jackets, camera, souvenirs, etc. while exploring a new city. SmartSelect_20190111-093032_Instagram.jpg
    Attempting to repack 13 days of clothes, souvenirs, and wine after driving over 2,000 miles, through 6 countries.

20190111_083023.jpg
    SUCCESS! (@ Malpensa Airport)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

3. Centralia

Centralia Member

Well, I didn't manage to retain ownership of the suede pouch I bought yesterday evening for long. My daughter was visiting, and she decided that she needed it more than I did. Almost lost the little tin cloth one too!

The outlet in Marysville did have a few more of those large suede pouches available, they are quite superb with amazing leather. If you've been considering one, I'd give them a call. They also have some in smooth leather, but I didn't think they were nearly as nice.

4. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Please hold while I get my makeup, moisturizer and toner...

5. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

My issue wasn't with the stock error, this happens to even the best online retailers... or with how they attempted to remedy the situation... it was with the lack of communication without being prompted by me asking what was going on with my purchase.

I wasn't contacted to be notified that the jacket was out of stock until I had waited over a week for a shipping notification and I finally reached out to see what was going on.

I also wasn't told that I would be notified if one came back in stock, until I expressed my disappointment that my order had been cancelled... it was also about a week before I heard back from them on my initial reply.

It's definitely a busy time for many companies, especially with end of the year sales, but I was disappointed, overall, with how the interaction went because I was left in the dark for most of the interaction and when I was told something, it didn't match what was still being communicated on their website.

I'm not mad... the jacket wasn't even something I "needed" LOL... but, IMHO, the CS followup/communication was lacking and left me untrusting that if I order something else from them in the future that it would be a positive experience.

O'well. Back to your regularly scheduled Filson conversation... ;)

6. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

I'm curious if they had any of the weatherproof leather items at the outlet? I'm slowly building my collection ;)

7. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

I love the snap handle on the #257 as well. I don't have it on my Filson Leather Briefcase and the handles are very floppy compared to my #257 which have kept their shape due to being snapped together most of the time. I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble of adding one to a #256 if I didn't have it, but I like it fine on my #257 and wouldn't dream of removing it.

8. MCM

MCM Member

Thanks! I gave it a quick, light coat last night and I think it turned out well. Might do another after a week or so if I think it needs it. It's pretty tricky to get an even coat, the stuff just soaks in so quick, it's difficult to spread.

I live in California (decent thrifting), but I'm from Minnesota (great thrifting), but I found this bag at a Housing Works in Manhattan.

9. Centralia

Centralia Member

@woodsjw

Yes. A very small duffel bag and a briefcase. Didn't look closely at the duffel, but did handle the briefcase. It looked A-OK to me, but I don't really like the all leather look with the design, so didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Can't remember the price, but I think I recall thinking that it was quite reasonable.

10. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Thanks for the reply! I already have the briefcase and the duffel, so I think my $$$ is safe for the moment! I need to start checking in from time to time as their are a few more pieces I'd like to own... Weatherproof Leather Dopp Kit for one.

11. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

"Weather proof Leather Dopp Kit" - I just found that funny as the "weather" is the last thing a dopp kit will ever see (usually).

12. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

LOL... I actually don’t plan on using it as a dopp kit, as it’s much too large. I’d like to use it for a travel coffee kit!

13. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Not being funny but weatherproof leather is a great choice for a wet environment like a bathroom!

14. Mattsky

Mattsky Member

My shipment has arrived! As promised, here are some shots of the haul. I got all 3 colors in the Ranger backpack, and I can't decide which one(s) to keep, so I might have to keep them all :) I like the size. I have the Rucksack in Otter Green and I find it too small to wear as a backpack (I'm 6'2", 225 lbs.) and it tends to look a but 'pursy' given its rounded shape. These might work better and they are much larger than the Rucksack so far.

upload_2019-1-11_18-1-53.png

With their included wool pouches...color is not great, sorry.
    upload_2019-1-11_18-3-0.png

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

15. Mattsky

Mattsky Member

Also picked up a lined cruiser vest and a wool cap to match. Looks like my new winter theme will be tan and red plaid. BTW, I wasn't sure of size (even though I have many Filson vests) due to the lining of this vest. I am typically a 48L, or an XL in Filson. So I got both the XL and the XXL. The XXL is huge and will get returned, or maybe sold on ebay for higher than purchase price. Anyone who wants it here, can get it for the $160 I paid, plus shipping (anything other than XS is sold out at Filson.com).

upload_2019-1-11_18-4-25.png