• We would like welcome Enzo Custom as an official Affiliate Vendor. Specializing in custom tailored clothing, and with seven showrooms throughout the country, they are dedicated to guiding you in person through their many options to produce your perfect fitting suit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is way off topic...but I wanted to give an update on the brand, Best Made Co., which I brought up a couple weeks ago and was considering ordering a jacket from.

Just before the New Year, I decided to take the plunge and order their Blanket Lined Cruiser Jacket. The website boasted superior materials, construction in the USA, blanket lining by Pendleton USA, and a lifetime guarantee. I had been looking at it for a couple of weeks, but couldn't bring myself to pay the $600 price tag for it. Especially since I already owned similar Filson and Barbour Jackets.

But, to my surprise, they ended up putting it on sale for their Boxing Day Sale. The price was $375 and they also had an additional 15% off for first time customers. All in all I paid $320 for the jacket, with the intention of trying it on and simply returning it if it wasn't up to the normal Filson/Barbour quality I expected.

I immediately received an order confirmation, but nearly a week passed without a shipping confirmation. I finally reached out to the company to see when the item would ship. Within a couple hours I received an email from their CS department, stating that their had been a stocking error and they were out of the jacket. The CS agent stated that he had attempted to source a jacket from their brick and mortar locations, but had been unsuccessful.

I started to responded to the email, but decided to check the website to see if the item was out of stock online. Much to my surprise that jacket was still "in stock" in the size that I had ordered, and had remained up for nearly a week after I had placed my order. I sent them a screenshot but received no response for several days. The jacket remained in stock for 24-48 hours after I was notified it was no longer available.

Yesterday, I finally received an email from their CS department, they apologized again and stated that if a jacket was returned they would notify me and honor the price I had paid. They also offered a 20% off coupon that does not expire for anything on their website.

While I'm disappointed that I didn't get to try the jacket out, I was more disappointed in the Customer Service I received. I wasn't notified for over a week that the product I had ordered was out of stock and the only reason I was informed was because I actually wrote them and inquired about it. Who knows how long it would have taken if I hadn't. I was also disappointed that they kept an item "in stock" on their website for over a week knowing that could not fulfill any orders for it. The overall responsiveness of their CS department was lacking.

Perhaps this was a one time issue, but I doubt I'll be giving them another try. Just wanted to pass along my experience to the forum and inform any potential customers who might be considering giving them a try.
I know exactly how you feel, except I knew what I was getting myself into when I ordered from Filson-Direct...questionable CS Dept efforts. What I got was 2 weeks of processing and when they finally did ship it, it showed up on Christmas Eve & in a plastic bag & not a box. What rattles my feathers is I just saw an eBay item of a leather strap that Filson sent out in a nice Filson box. I still have to call them out on this and will update what they say...which I already know. But still I get to annoy them for a couple of minutes :lol:

mgrennier

Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel, except I knew what I was getting myself into when I ordered from Filson-Direct...questionable CS Dept efforts. What I got was 2 weeks of processing and when they finally did ship it, it showed up on Christmas Eve & in a plastic bag & not a box. What rattles my feathers is I just saw an eBay item of a leather strap that Filson sent out in a nice Filson box. I still have to call them out on this and will update what they say...which I already know. But still I get to annoy them for a couple of minutes :lol:
My Mack Cruiser came in a box with no plastic wrap or anything. But it’s perfect so I don’t care! Got it from Moosejaw which is one of my favorite retailers and from my home state so that’s cool too. (Plus I had a store credit to spend)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there folks,

I'm new to the forum, but I found this thread after I snagged a brown 257 for $30 at a thrift store in Manhattan and was looking around online for some info. The bag is in great condition other than the shoulder strap, which has some deep cracks that look a little too close to breaking. I put some Obenauf's on all the other leather components and they look great.

View attachment 1104325 View attachment 1104326 View attachment 1104327 View attachment 1104328

I bike to work every day and it's real rainy in the winter, so I was thinking about waxing it for a little extra peace of mind with respect to water resistance. Also, since the brown doesn't exactly catch the eye, and I like the waxed look, I figured it wouldn't hurt. I bought a 10oz can of the Filson oil wax, but it seems like it's got mixed reviews around here. Luckily the bag isn't dirty or musty, so I don't think there's a whole lot to be done before waxing. Any thoughts, or should I just go for it?
$30 for a 2008 #257 might be the deal of the year. This is the late YKK Era, which makes it even more appealing to me. You've got a good eye sir. As for the wax, I have yet to wax any Filson but recently I had my mind changed on Filson Oil Wax. For $30 you don't have much to lose here. it seems.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think it's probably my best thrift ever. I've gotten some brand new Pendleton, Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear stuff while thrifting, but this takes the cake.

As for the heat gun, I'm sure I know somebody who's got one, I'll just try to borrow one for a day. Thanks for the heads up!

Good to know! I'm looking forward to having this bag for a long time.
Not to try and steal your thunder but what State do you live in? I gotta give this thrifting hobby a chance, even if New Jersey is littered with Goodwill big box thrifters that probably have teams that sift out the valuable items.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Mack Cruiser came in a box with no plastic wrap or anything. But it’s perfect so I don’t care! Got it from Moosejaw which is one of my favorite retailers and from my home state so that’s cool too. (Plus I had a store credit to spend)
My sister shops there all the time, she works for the USDA and is one of those that immediately takes her products to the limits. The reason why I now buy from Filson-Direct is the easy return or exchange process I can do with a 40 minute train ride, to either location near me. I still utilize the 10% off coupon though so there is a little bit of saving done.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
question to 257 owners: do any of you guys get tired of the handle that joins the two straps together? i kinda wish it wasn't there...
As a first edition 257 Talon owner I must say I absolutely love my handle. It's buttery soft and pliable and takes the load of my hands and prevents those straps from digging in. I have handled both the 24HR Briefcase and the 261 Tote, which have no handle, and I would say for sure I prefer the handle on my #257.

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
Yes - I've never liked it. One of the reasons why I like the 256 better.

For a while, I thought about cutting it off and offering to someone on here...
Seconded. Least favorite piece of this bag, I hate it. Always have.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the snap handle. I can jeep things from flopping around and much nicer to my hands than dual straps. Less of an issue when the bag is light, but when I'm traveling...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the snap handle. I can jeep things from flopping around and much nicer to my hands than dual straps. Less of an issue when the bag is light, but when I'm traveling...
Plus if you have a jacket you can thread it through the snapped handles and not worry about it flapping around while you shoulder carry the bag.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus if you have a jacket you can thread it through the snapped handles and not worry about it flapping around while you shoulder carry the bag.
True - have used it that way before

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what do you guys think about the quality of the dopp, if you can call it that, as it looks more like a compartment case. It's crafted by a one man team from Texas, using very fine build materials consistent with Filson. The price isn't bad either for what you get. Plus I see some nice beefy YKK's similar to Filson and the use of rivets and a pretty decent liner. However the size is just to large for a dopp kit I think. But anyways just wanted to share.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/W-Durable-Goods-Heavy-Waxed-Canvas-Leather-Travel-Toiletry-Bag-Filson-Tanner-USA/143083659114?hash=item2150735f6a:g:~CUAAOSwQ5pcM~IA:rk:166:pf:0

dopp kit.PNG

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.