1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Yes - I've never liked it. One of the reasons why I like the 256 better.

For a while, I thought about cutting it off and offering to someone on here...

2. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

I know exactly how you feel, except I knew what I was getting myself into when I ordered from Filson-Direct...questionable CS Dept efforts. What I got was 2 weeks of processing and when they finally did ship it, it showed up on Christmas Eve & in a plastic bag & not a box. What rattles my feathers is I just saw an eBay item of a leather strap that Filson sent out in a nice Filson box. I still have to call them out on this and will update what they say...which I already know. But still I get to annoy them for a couple of minutes :lol:

3. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

My Mack Cruiser came in a box with no plastic wrap or anything. But it’s perfect so I don’t care! Got it from Moosejaw which is one of my favorite retailers and from my home state so that’s cool too. (Plus I had a store credit to spend)

4. OtterMeanGreen

$30 for a 2008 #257 might be the deal of the year. This is the late YKK Era, which makes it even more appealing to me. You've got a good eye sir. As for the wax, I have yet to wax any Filson but recently I had my mind changed on Filson Oil Wax. For $30 you don't have much to lose here. it seems.

5. OtterMeanGreen

Not to try and steal your thunder but what State do you live in? I gotta give this thrifting hobby a chance, even if New Jersey is littered with Goodwill big box thrifters that probably have teams that sift out the valuable items.

6. OtterMeanGreen

My sister shops there all the time, she works for the USDA and is one of those that immediately takes her products to the limits. The reason why I now buy from Filson-Direct is the easy return or exchange process I can do with a 40 minute train ride, to either location near me. I still utilize the 10% off coupon though so there is a little bit of saving done.

7. OtterMeanGreen

As a first edition 257 Talon owner I must say I absolutely love my handle. It's buttery soft and pliable and takes the load of my hands and prevents those straps from digging in. I have handled both the 24HR Briefcase and the 261 Tote, which have no handle, and I would say for sure I prefer the handle on my #257.

8. markmel74

markmel74 Member

Interesting to see the difference in colors on the waxed canvas vs a 2 year old #256. Love both of them!

B13FB998-CFA8-47A3-80DB-C57D15B74043.jpeg

9. Rymanocerous

Rymanocerous Senior Member

Seconded. Least favorite piece of this bag, I hate it. Always have.

10. Centralia

Centralia Member

11. bart

bart Member

I, for one, like my snap handle that I had added to my 256. Only slightly inconvenient to unsnap for access but keeps the handles together and on top for an easy grab and go and looks more put together.

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

I like the snap handle. I can jeep things from flopping around and much nicer to my hands than dual straps. Less of an issue when the bag is light, but when I'm traveling...

13. OtterMeanGreen

Plus if you have a jacket you can thread it through the snapped handles and not worry about it flapping around while you shoulder carry the bag.

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

True - have used it that way before

15. OtterMeanGreen

So what do you guys think about the quality of the dopp, if you can call it that, as it looks more like a compartment case. It's crafted by a one man team from Texas, using very fine build materials consistent with Filson. The price isn't bad either for what you get. Plus I see some nice beefy YKK's similar to Filson and the use of rivets and a pretty decent liner. However the size is just to large for a dopp kit I think. But anyways just wanted to share.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/W-Durable-...item2150735f6a:g:~CUAAOSwQ5pcM~IA:rk:166:pf:0

dopp kit.PNG