• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any one have feedback on the fit of the tin cloth jacket? This one to be exact? I am assuming it runs big if it takes a liner?

https://www.filson.com/tin-cloth-ja...PsFCdRCOMm6pvuQvBlz31K5h1_sCIFXBoCm30QAvD_BwE
I can’t comment on this specific jacket. My tin cruiser (unlined) is true to size, but has room for a sweater underneath. I think you have to ask Filson CS to be sure.
I would suggest that the bulk of the wool plus Tin outer will be more comfortable to get on and off and just to move in if it’s on the larger rather than smaller size. My down cruiser is L where I normally have M in Filson, and I’m glad of the extra room.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any one have feedback on the fit of the tin cloth jacket? This one to be exact? I am assuming it runs big if it takes a liner?

https://www.filson.com/tin-cloth-ja...PsFCdRCOMm6pvuQvBlz31K5h1_sCIFXBoCm30QAvD_BwE

At 6’1 I tried on the size Medium Tin Cloth Cruiser at the suggestion of the Filson employee, it had plenty of room to layer and felt like a suit of armor. I loved the fit though and would not size down as layering would be difficult I image

D04C877F-59E9-4D6C-BFB1-C589165722B4.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
Costco sells the tin jacket on The Internet for more than $100 off retail.

ps i have been away for 12-14 months and before I left someone was looking for an extra, single-padded strap. I still have that so if you're still out there and in the market just hit me up on my myspace page.

pps the leather short cruiser is gorgeous in person. I'd have bought one but they run small and there are no more xl's in the entire Filson universe

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Actually, $200 sounds more real, but at that point Dustin at VP makes even more sense. (He's $335 for a 18oz fabric, $625 for Dublin leather).

Interestingly, he says the standard canvas is 18oz fabric that is 29oz after waxing, and offers a 24oz that is 37oz after waxing for $365. I'd assume the former is what Filson is using and is what I ordered for the VP bag that will replace my #257 (which is going up on eBay tonight :()
So do we know WHEN (what year) Filson switched over to the 18 oz. twill?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So do we know WHEN (what year) Filson switched over to the 18 oz. twill?
I have a tan bag from 2015 that was very stiff when I got it. No question it was the heavy stuff. Also, depends on color I think. I have a brown twill bag made in 2017 that is stiffer than my brand new tan 2011 257, whereas navy has always been lighter weight. (An opinion here but I think a fair one)

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are only 3 major components to a Filson bag: twill, zipper and bridle leather.

The twill -until perhaps recently with the debate about 'weight loss' - seems consistent over time for a given color.

The zipper has always been heavy brass. Originally Talon then YKK then Filson branded (but still YKK). To me, these differences are not all that significant.

Finally, the bridle leather. It always started off dark brown (see old catalog photos above) but in 1st gen bags faded to a lighter brown or red-brown in places of heavy use or sun exposure. Newer bags have leather that stays dark brown so aesthetically pleasing to some and not others who like the fading.

Lastly, the bridle leather on the 1st bags (Talon zipper) and 2nd generation (YKK zipper) even in heavily used state does not seem to show any of the problems exhibited by post-BD (loosely 3rd Gen) bags that I and other have detailed before (e.g. pilling, waves). So it's only here where I feel there is a major shift in quality and even then probably not in all leather in all recent bags. In all other areas, the differences are, imo, minor or primarily aesthetic.

So I think overall, maybe the old-timers make a big deal about subtle differences. But collectors and enthusiasts always do for any type of item from stamps to baseball cards ;-).

I posted a pic of my 20-year old small duffle about a couple of weeks ago. It makes me a bit disappointed that I don't think any of my newer bags will age anything like that. However this doesn't stop me from buying newer stuff if I really like it - just like everyone else (hey even GZStudio has a newer 48!).
GZs mentioning of Pg555 got me looking around and this post really caught my eye. I wish we had a way to sticky certain posts that are truly fantastic like this one that we can direct people to when they visit the forum with questions.

@Soletrane, thanks for this one.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GZs mentioning of Pg555 got me looking around and this post really caught my eye. I wish we had a way to sticky certain posts that are truly fantastic like this one that we can direct people to when they visit the forum with questions.

@Soletrane, thanks for this one.

Tinman - each post in the thread is numbered. But, in mobile view it’s obscured. If you rotate your phone to landscape you can see the post number to the left of the like button. For example your post above is 13500. So whilst we can’t sticky posts it’s pretty easy to keep a personal list of useful references.

We might also be able to ask the mods if there is a way to create a “best of”.

In similar vein it would be really nice to do a highlights of 2018 - pics and posts.

Perhaps this is a job for our resident archivist .... @OtterMeanGreen!

woodsjw

Reaction score
Curious if anyone is familiar with Luchesse Boot Company? I've always been told they make high quality boots and other leather items... I stopped in their store here in San Antonio a few days ago and was surprised to find that they not only make really nice boots but they also carry Filson (mostly luggage) and Barbour items as well.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone is familiar with Luchesse Boot Company? I've always been told they make high quality boots and other leather items... I stopped in their store here in San Antonio a few days ago and was surprised to find that they not only make really nice boots but they also carry Filson (mostly luggage) and Barbour items as well.
I have a few of their boots and they are great. All my friends swear by them as their favorites, I am the odd one out in the sense that I have a few other pairs I enjoy more. But no denying they are super solid and nice.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads