• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CCF1897

Reaction score
Picture from a driven pheasant shoot up in Rhode Island this weekend. 265 compartment case, gun case, Tom Beckbe waxed jacket, Beretta and Rizzini 12ga over unders.

856CE9A8-C55F-4AC6-B51B-61979110B98F.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picture from a driven pheasant shoot up in Rhode Island this weekend. 265 compartment case, gun case, Tom Beckbe waxed jacket, Beretta and Rizzini 12ga over unders.

View attachment 1074156
Hey CCF - question from a non hunter. Why two shotguns? Does each do something different or is it for redundancy? Or do you have a loader or something?

CCF1897

Reaction score
Hey CCF - question from a non hunter. Why two shotguns? Does each do something different or is it for redundancy? Or do you have a loader or something?
@speedy611 i just told my buddy to set it there for the picture. I did have a backup in the suv, being four hours from home if something happened I would have grabbed that. Both of those in the picture do exactly the same thing.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1074156

I'm sure glad I went with the #264, as the #265 looks noticeably larger. I think it would've ended up being overkill for what I was tasking it for. I think when I start traveling more and I need the extra space for keepsakes and souvenirs, I might try and find a separate bag to take that doesn't have a large footprint and can be folded up inside my MTB. Any ideas? I suppose extra space in a well packed Carryon suitcase can also achieve this, but the hunt is still on for one of those. I can't say I see myself using a AWAY or Pelican at this point yet, and I still have a practically brand new Samsonite Carryon that I can always use, even though it's not aesthetically pleasing or I can pair it with a Filson well

GzStudio

Reaction score
you need a talon otter green 265. You can keep the 264 inside when you need more space (yes I have one).

Last edited:

woodsjw

Reaction score
I'm sure glad I went with the #264, as the #265 looks noticeably larger. I think it would've ended up being overkill for what I was tasking it for. I think when I start traveling more and I need the extra space for keepsakes and souvenirs, I might try and find a separate bag to take that doesn't have a large footprint and can be folded up inside my MTB. Any ideas? I suppose extra space in a well packed Carryon suitcase can also achieve this, but the hunt is still on for one of those. I can't say I see myself using a AWAY or Pelican at this point yet, and I still have a practically brand new Samsonite Carryon that I can always use, even though it's not aesthetically pleasing or I can pair it with a Filson well

The Filson Tin Cloth Field Bags fold down small and could be packed easily inside another bag. The small size would work perfect and can be found easily at good price.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you need a talon otter green 265. You can keep the 264 inside when you need more space (yes I have one).

:lol: great idea, practical until I have a loaded #246 on one shoulder, a loaded #265 on the other and my #264 in my hands. I can just see myself now. Although the same problem would persist even with a lighter weight tin cloth bag. This would be solved better with the extra space of a Journeyman on my back and my MTB in my hands (or on one shoulder if possible). The complications of not wanting to cart around a rolley bag

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:lol: great idea, practical until I have a loaded #246 on one shoulder, a loaded #265 on the other and my #264 in my hands. I can just see myself now. Although the same problem would persist even with a lighter weight tin cloth bag. This would be solved better with the extra space of a Journeyman on my back and my MTB in my hands (or on one shoulder if possible). The complications of not wanting to cart around a rolley bag
I fought that for a long time (the roller bag). Since I got my Away bag (and now the aluminum one) it’s just made my airport life much better. Of course, as some of you know, I’m in an airport nearly every week.

From a wear and tear on my body, the roller has been nice.

If I were to travel less frequently, I’d definitely go with a different option for carrying.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fought that for a long time (the roller bag). Since I got my Away bag (and now the aluminum one) it’s just made my airport life much better. Of course, as some of you know, I’m in an airport nearly every week.

From a wear and tear on my body, the roller has been nice.

If I were to travel less frequently, I’d definitely go with a different option for carrying.

For anything I do frequently, convenience tends to win out over the long haul.

The Journeyman was a concession to convenience, ultimately. And if I was a weekly traveler rather than a monthly one, I am sure a roller would find its way into my rotation. For now, I am still happy with the large carry-on 242 for most biz trips.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the Coke can is to give a frame of reference for size of the bag

That is a decent 1st gen field satchel. Which often ages to a medium brown though this one seems darker.

As an aside, the field satchel has exceeded my expectations. It is very practical for my daily carry - 15” laptop, papers and a large rough suede pouch with chargers etc. And I have grown to really appreciate the formality and presence of it. I think 15 years ago, the satchel would have been too conspicuous an accessory for my age/style/level but now blends in nicely.

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mile Marker coat has been a great find. I have been wearing it in mid to upper 40s temperature with a sweatshirt or light sweater and I have been very comfortable.

For wearing about the burbs on the weekend, I like the more relaxed country styling than the army inspired Barbour International which is a more aggressive style. I also think the option of zipped in liners - common across the Filson line - is much more versatile than the light insulation in the Barbour which typically either too little or too much for a given temperature. But most importantly, the Mile Marker has a dry waxed finish with none of the dampness that the Barbour had when new (one of the reasons I waited 6 years to rewax).

In the favor of the Barbour International, however, it has way more flair and gets lots of compliments from friends and coworkers due the rakish style. It is remarkable that two very similar jackets can be so different. Though with a Barbour Bedale or something, the differences might be far less.

In the end, waxed jackets upgrade your look, in my opinion, for relatively little given the amount of use you can get. Often when you meet someone outside, it is the outerwear that first grabs the eye. Just like a good piece of luggage or a briefcase.

884296BE-5ED2-49B2-AB2F-0C87A44B2EA4.jpeg

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mile Marker coat has been a great find. I have been wearing it in mid to upper 40s temperature with a sweatshirt or light sweater and I have been very comfortable.

For wearing about the burbs on the weekend, I like the more relaxed country styling than the army inspired Barbour International which is a more aggressive style. I also think the option of zipped in liners - common across the Filson line - is much more versatile than the light insulation in the Barbour which typically either too little or too much for a given temperature. But most importantly, the Mile Marker has a dry waxed finish with none of the dampness that the Barbour had when new (one of the reasons I waited 6 years to rewax).

In the favor of the Barbour International, however, it has way more flair and gets lots of compliments from friends and coworkers due the rakish style. It is remarkable that two very similar jackets can be so different. Though with a Barbour Bedale or something, the differences might be far less.

In the end, waxed jackets upgrade your look, in my opinion, for relatively little given the amount of use you can get. Often when you meet someone outside, it is the outerwear that first grabs the eye. Just like a good piece of luggage or a briefcase.

View attachment 1074983
In Chicago, I have found my Filson Peacoat to be the most versatile piece of outerwear that I own. Warm enough on its own for down to mid 30’s while it can handle the worst winter has to offer with a down sweater underneath. My Mile Marker is my next most versatile coat that shines in rainy cold weather. The moleskin collar and the flannel lining make it very comfortable and stylish as well. I also like the more formal look that I get out of the Mile Marker. The appointments are more refined than the Barbour and less of a statement. I’ve always been a bigger fan of understated style than in your face style, which is why I also prefer a brown leather briefcase on a day to day basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads