1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Not sure how many of you guys have tattoos? I don't have a single one yet, despite growing up in the 1980's & 1990's. I certainly want my first to mean something to me and to also visually express something. The more and more I think about it, this is what I want my first to look like. I also want to feature a build tag with the "build date" as my birth date (1084). Am I crazy or on to something here? Now the question is do I want to pre-patina the look of the label or do I want to have it patina the real way, over the course of time? :fonz:. I'm still debating whether or not I'd like a more diverse backdrop to the art, maybe something outdoors-like or something paying homage to the brand itself. hmmmmm

next tattoo idea.jpg

Speaking of tattoo's, this is so @Stratkat

tattoo.jpg

2. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

I'm just going to assume that Otter thinks those tin pants are cool as hell, a bit rough around the edges perhaps but smooth where they need to be, not afraid to put in a solid day's work and look even better as they age.

Or, they're just old and smelly.

I've even had the pleasure of sharing a scotch and a cigar with Otter - so we've met....

In any case, this is an interesting game you've put out there Otter.

3. OtterMeanGreen

:lol: I can see why you might think it was the 2nd thing. No No No. I assigned those awesome looking Tin Pants to you because you're a business guru but with a passion for a rugged outdoorsy life (I recall you saying you fish & woodwork). Glad you liked them though

4. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

None for me. For my taste they’ve become a bit mainstream, and I’ve never found anything that I like enough to want to carry on me for ever. I guess for some they represent the waypoints on life’s journey, and so they become memorable even if outgrown. Fair enough.

Now, I like your label idea. But in keeping with where the labels are placed on the bags, it needs to be on a flap somewhere, or quite discreet. Therefore I offer 3 suggestions:
    1. Sole of the foot
    2. Armpit
    3. Inside lower lip.

Failing that you need one that is 2x size in the middle or your lower back. Hope this helps...

Consider an FRD version too!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

5. OtterMeanGreen

I agree on your viewpoint wholeheartedly. I lost count on how many people I’ve seen with sleeves; mainstream indeed.

You had me at inside lower lip...:lol:. nope not gonna happen, I’m crazy but not that crazy. This might require more thought lol

6. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

This sums up my opinion. I am old school on this. So for me, a tattoo should represent a memorialization of something that would hold lifelong significance to me. This is a throwback to when I was a kid, back then tattoos usually represented prior military service or very strong religious convictions or the loss of someone close at an early age. To each his own, of course.

7. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Way off topic here but...
    I recently was in a queue behind a guy who exhibited all the signs of not being the top percentile in the IQ department. (Judgmental of me, yes). He had many, many tattoos. Two of which ( in separate places on his body) proclaimed the name of one of his children.
    I couldn’t decide whether:

A) he was prone to forget their name so had it written on him in several places for easy reference
    B) perhaps there were two children with the same name...

8. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I had a colleague who had tattoos of all his dogs on his arm. This was twenty years ago. I sometimes think it would be strange to have a tableaux of long deceased pit bulls all across your limbs. Maybe he adds angel wings later on, I dunno.

No offense to anyone - I like dogs too. Just not in ink embedded in my skin.

9. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

Coolest tat I ever saw was that of a dedicated, talented, violin maker friend, he had the F hole of a Stradivarius tatted on his hand, very simple, eloquent, and understated... perfect. I always thought if I got one, it was to reflect something in that vein, almost had the title of one of my tunes as a tat, never got around to it.

10. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Closest I ever got to a tattoo was in 2010 while at the Sturgis Mororcycle rally. Pop up tattoo parlors everywhere during Sturgus week.

Had a few adult beverages at lunch with some guys. Walked the streets after lunch, stopped into a parlor for a look around. Started to review the books and books of tattoo ideas. I was really thinking about it when the tattoo artist introduced himself: “Hey man, my name’s Chaos. How can I help you?”

For some reason, I sobered up pretty quickly and walked away.

Closest I ever got.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

11. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

lol - I was in Vegas for a bachelor party (lower-key than that sounds, but anyway...) and my two best friends decided to get tattoos at one of the best places in Vegas. I was planning to get something on my leg - a tribute to my wife - but had a moment of introspection and called my wife to sound out the idea. Let's just say she made short work of that :lookaround:

I've gone back and forth over the years, but just can't see myself with a tattoo. For the most part I think they're fine on other people (I do think people get carried away, and I do not understand face/neck tats, but whatever - it's their body), but I doubt I'll have one.

12. Emthigious

Emthigious Well-Known Member

Is there somewhere a definite overview of all the different labels and mottos Filson used? I've seen many different ones in this thread alone, but can't seem to find a nice overview. Maybe a nice infographic ;-)

So something like:
    1987 - 1995: Label X
    1995 - 2000: "might as well have the best" era

etcetera. Does such a thing exist?

13. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Not that I’ve seen. A google image search for “Filson label dating” shows a good variety of labels.
    Bear in mind that the bag and clothing labels may differ for the same era - eg the clothing stuff often has “100% Virgin Wool” included

14. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

This sounds like a project for our good friend, OtterMeanGreen!

15. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member