• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way this seller has his FRD listed is looking more like a Ransom Photo then a listing. Seriously, his main photo is of a photo :lol:.

@GzStudio does this seem like a fair price to you for a FRD YKK #257? $50 shipping seems a little steep too, on top of the $800 for the bag itself.

View attachment 1064074
At $799, I'll sell my 257 to you. Even for $750.

GzStudio

Reaction score
The way this seller has his FRD listed is looking more like a Ransom Photo then a listing. Seriously, his main photo is of a photo :lol:.

@GzStudio does this seem like a fair price to you for a FRD YKK #257? $50 shipping seems a little steep too, on top of the $800 for the bag itself.

View attachment 1064074

That prick is the guy that recently changed his ebay handle. He bought 2 bags from me (both to resell). one a small carry on and had a stupid piece of leather added to the back bottom and said his cobbler wanted to buy the bag from him (he also said he bought it new, fake news) and the other was a talon 256 where he decided to put his initials on the underside flap, also stating he was the first owner and bought it new 10 years ago, also fake news. check his feedback as a buyer, you'll see mine left for him, very specific to what i sold him.

Now back to the bag in question, the bag itself is a really boring, fill the quota, FRD bag. Nothing exciting or interesting on the bag. The price, is a price I set for ones that I have sold previously. To be fair, to buy a FRD 257 from FRD, it is $660 + tax ($720ish) if buying in person. Factor in ebay and paypal fees (13% = $695ish). Shipping price is a joke and just trying to make profit on it.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That prick is the guy that recently changed his ebay handle. He bought 2 bags from me (both to resell). one a small carry on and had a stupid piece of leather added to the back bottom and said his cobbler wanted to buy the bag from him (he also said he bought it new, fake news) and the other was a talon 256 where he decided to put his initials on the underside flap, also stating he was the first owner and bought it new 10 years ago, also fake news. check his feedback as a buyer, you'll see mine left for him, very specific to what i sold him.

Now back to the bag in question, the bag itself is a really boring, fill the quota, FRD bag. Nothing exciting or interesting on the bag. The price, is a price I set for ones that I have sold previously. To be fair, to buy a FRD 257 from FRD, it is $660 + tax ($720ish) if buying in person. Factor in ebay and paypal fees (13% = $695ish). Shipping price is a joke and just trying to make profit on it.
So if I add my initials, will you buy it for $699? haahaha

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Loving your application of the term "Fake News". Upon closer inspection I realized that is the same seller who has that ugly #258 that he said was designed for some music producer, along with the most randomness backstory. He also has a Filson Portfolio that looks like it's seen some years, all for the low low low price of $500 (plus shipping :facepalm:).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Lea...h=item286a7211a1:g:y1AAAOSwArFbwBIE:rk:4:pf:0

I hear you on the price and lackluster quality of the FRD, which by comparison is nothing compared to what I've seen you sell.

Check this listing out, the leather looks like it belongs on one of those Nanamica 256's, with how light brown it is. I also easily spot Hulk Matter (TM) on the rivets. Beautifully aged with a rich patina as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Rug...=item4d801c95b5:g:9GkAAOSwLmBb2mop:rk:32:pf:0

nanamica.PNG

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently found some photos that reminded me of several members here, not everyone is accounted for though. If a single photo could sum up a member, it would look something like this I think:

@GzStudio

ad.jpg

@mgrennier

ad 3.jpg

@TinMan3

ad 4.jpg

@speedy611

ad 2.jpg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otter - this is fun. Not sure how mgrennier is going to feel about being compared to a pair of extraordinarily well used tin pants!! They are seriously cool.

I wore my vintage double Mac just the other day. Its very cosy. Funnily enough I was shopping in some god-awful cheap clothing store (teenagers...). They were selling things in the exact pattern and pocket arrangement of the red plaid Mac. But made of some sort of man made furry fiber that made me wince.

Here’s one for you:
27451D70-A502-4CCA-A524-67EA3908AB0F.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otter - this is fun. Not sure how mgrennier is going to feel about being compared to a pair of extraordinarily well used tin pants!! They are seriously cool.

I wore my vintage double Mac just the other day. Its very cosy. Funnily enough I was shopping in some god-awful cheap clothing store (teenagers...). They were selling things in the exact pattern and pocket arrangement of the red plaid Mac. But made of some sort of man made furry fiber that made me wince.

Here’s one for you:
View attachment 1064906

I hear you about @mgrennier , I think he'll get a kick out of it. Nice Talon zipper photo btw, that is so me :lol:. Quite an impressive display

I'm gonna be headed back to New York City next week on the job and on the last day I think I will be headed over to the Filson Store to try on my first Filson Jacket. A little research for my first garment purchase. I may or may not buy a hat, the All Cord hat to be specific. Priced just right at $35 retail. Corduroy might just be my all time favorite fabric, this one being Otter Green and featuring a leather strap (wonder if it's bridle).

https://www.filson.com/all-cord-logger-cap.html#sku=20067749-fco-000000074

cord.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you guys have tattoos? I don't have a single one yet, despite growing up in the 1980's & 1990's. I certainly want my first to mean something to me and to also visually express something. The more and more I think about it, this is what I want my first to look like. I also want to feature a build tag with the "build date" as my birth date (1084). Am I crazy or on to something here? Now the question is do I want to pre-patina the look of the label or do I want to have it patina the real way, over the course of time? :fonz:. I'm still debating whether or not I'd like a more diverse backdrop to the art, maybe something outdoors-like or something paying homage to the brand itself. hmmmmm

next tattoo idea.jpg

Speaking of tattoo's, this is so @Stratkat

tattoo.jpg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently found some photos that reminded me of several members here, not everyone is accounted for though. If a single photo could sum up a member, it would look something like this I think:

@GzStudio

View attachment 1064887

@mgrennier

View attachment 1064888

@TinMan3

View attachment 1064889

@speedy611

View attachment 1064890
I'm just going to assume that Otter thinks those tin pants are cool as hell, a bit rough around the edges perhaps but smooth where they need to be, not afraid to put in a solid day's work and look even better as they age.

Or, they're just old and smelly.

I've even had the pleasure of sharing a scotch and a cigar with Otter - so we've met....

In any case, this is an interesting game you've put out there Otter.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to assume that Otter thinks those tin pants are cool as hell, a bit rough around the edges perhaps but smooth where they need to be, not afraid to put in a solid day's work and look even better as they age.

Or, they're just old and smelly.

I've even had the pleasure of sharing a scotch and a cigar with Otter - so we've met....

In any case, this is an interesting game you've put out there Otter.

:lol: I can see why you might think it was the 2nd thing. No No No. I assigned those awesome looking Tin Pants to you because you're a business guru but with a passion for a rugged outdoorsy life (I recall you saying you fish & woodwork). Glad you liked them though

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you guys have tattoos? I don't have a single one yet, despite growing up in the 1980's & 1990's. I certainly want my first to mean something to me and to also visually express something. The more and more I think about it, this is what I want my first to look like. I also want to feature a build tag with the "build date" as my birth date (1084). Am I crazy or on to something here? Now the question is do I want to pre-patina the look of the label or do I want to have it patina the real way, over the course of time? :fonz:. I'm still debating whether or not I'd like a more diverse backdrop to the art, maybe something outdoors-like or something paying homage to the brand itself. hmmmmm

View attachment 1065071

Speaking of tattoo's, this is so @Stratkat

View attachment 1065072
None for me. For my taste they’ve become a bit mainstream, and I’ve never found anything that I like enough to want to carry on me for ever. I guess for some they represent the waypoints on life’s journey, and so they become memorable even if outgrown. Fair enough.

Now, I like your label idea. But in keeping with where the labels are placed on the bags, it needs to be on a flap somewhere, or quite discreet. Therefore I offer 3 suggestions:
1. Sole of the foot
2. Armpit
3. Inside lower lip.

Failing that you need one that is 2x size in the middle or your lower back. Hope this helps...

Consider an FRD version too!

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None for me. For my taste they’ve become a bit mainstream, and I’ve never found anything that I like enough to want to carry on me for ever. I guess for some they represent the waypoints on life’s journey, and so they become memorable even if outgrown. Fair enough.

Now, I like your label idea. But in keeping with where the labels are placed on the bags, it needs to be on a flap somewhere, or quite discreet. Therefore I offer 3 suggestions:
1. Sole of the foot
2. Armpit
3. Inside lower lip.

Failing that you need one that is 2x size in the middle or your lower back. Hope this helps...

I agree on your viewpoint wholeheartedly. I lost count on how many people I’ve seen with sleeves; mainstream indeed.

You had me at inside lower lip...:lol:. nope not gonna happen, I’m crazy but not that crazy. This might require more thought lol

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Sole of the foot
2. Armpit
3. Inside lower lip.

This sums up my opinion. I am old school on this. So for me, a tattoo should represent a memorialization of something that would hold lifelong significance to me. This is a throwback to when I was a kid, back then tattoos usually represented prior military service or very strong religious convictions or the loss of someone close at an early age. To each his own, of course.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sums up my opinion. I am old school on this. So for me, a tattoo should represent a memorialization of something that would hold lifelong significance to me. This is a throwback to when I was a kid, back then tattoos usually represented prior military service or very strong religious convictions or the loss of someone close at an early age. To each his own, of course.

Way off topic here but...
I recently was in a queue behind a guy who exhibited all the signs of not being the top percentile in the IQ department. (Judgmental of me, yes). He had many, many tattoos. Two of which ( in separate places on his body) proclaimed the name of one of his children.
I couldn’t decide whether:

A) he was prone to forget their name so had it written on him in several places for easy reference
B) perhaps there were two children with the same name...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads