1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Ohhhh I really like that. Was this a special edition of some sort?

2. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

If I remember correctly, this is a NYC store exclusive.

3. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

You don’t say...;). I’d be interested in seeing if it looks anything like mine.

4. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

Odds are, yes. They tend to all look very similar....:p

5. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

The leather on the FRD is amazing. At the Seattle store, I saw them making accessories and belts out of leather that was different than their usual stock. Red-brown bridle and harness, for example. They really need to make more stuff this out of these leathers.

6. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

OMG - if you go to the NYC store and they have that vest, then be sure to text me.

7. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Yes couldn’t agree more, it’s the softest Talon era leather I’ve ever had. The true definition of ‘buttery soft’.

8. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

12? Nicely done

9. CCF1897

CCF1897 Active Member

I wear Danner (several hunting styles) for shooting and hunting. Not stylish like the redwings but if you are looking for dry feet you can’t go wrong. I also have the Beans and they are fine but not for anything heavy duty. They have no ankle support unless you get the taller models.

10. CCF1897

CCF1897 Active Member

I saw GZ mention pheasant hunting a few posts back so since I’m in the process of getting things ready for a pheasant hunt tomorrow morning thought I’d share a picture. 265 compartment case, Tin cloth field coat, Tom Beckbe field hat and Tom Beckbe blaze all weather hat as rain is expected.

6936718A-1C28-433D-949B-E719362BF675.jpeg

11. smcguirt

smcguirt Member

Is the grey tote still available at the NYC store? I may need to plan a trip back up there soon.

12. Emthigious

Emthigious Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, a Medium Field Bag might be better suited. I can find some on eBay for ~$160. That seems like a reasonable price, no? Only downside is that including shipping & customs to NL, that would amount to $260, close to a new one. Choices..

13. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

Tinman,
    Are you sure the straps are vintage? They look somewhat different than the Talon era leather (at least in the photo). FRD has access to small batches of new leather that are at least as good as the Talon era stuff.

For example, the snap pouch I bought in Seattle seems to be made of black-grey Horween Chromexcel - which I don’t see in their catalog.

If I lived near the Seattle store, I would constantly be going just to see what new leather accessories they have made. You can buy other high quality leather brands online, but there is something about the Filson designs that typically nail it on the head (for me).

14. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

I have both small and medium. They are both good, but actually do quite different things. The small is very useful for a day bag but immediately suffers if you have anything larger (even an iPad) you need to carry.

Might be good to start with a medium and see how you go. Also I suspect GZ or TinMan might have nice vintage ones that will be same or less cost than all the inflated euro prices.

15. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Hmm. So much for traveling light for a weekend break. The Pelican swallows towels, kids wetsuits, and miscellaneous jackets, walking boots etc etc. 48 for personal gear and small field bag for daily carry and incidentals.

Unintentional Halloween theme with pumpkins and cat! I’m jealous of you dog owners who can buy Filson dog collars. I want a Filson cat range...

C8044A7D-5F6F-44A6-9266-B9BB9FE1EBFA.jpeg