• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, anyone here in the Minneapolis area? I will be there this weekend and will undoubtedly be stopping in the Filson store at some point during the trip. Any interest in a meet up?

Looking for a great cup of coffee? Check these guys out, I bought a coffee roaster from them back in 2015. Ask for Steve (owner) or Dave (head roaster) and tell them Matt from the Brews Brothers sent you :fonz:. Although they are more of a Roaster Supply and wholesaler than a stand alone cafe. However you can count on a tour and plenty of free artisan freshly roasted single origin coffee, and maybe even a Cupping. Ever been to a coffee Cupping?

It's only 13 miles away from the Filson Store too...small world.
https://millcityroasters.com/

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please explain what I am looking at here? It looks like a YKK Era #266 Sportsman in RED, but that could just be my eyes playing tricks on me...
@Soletrane & @CCF1897 I know you both will appreciate this.

Edit: I'm not positive it is Nanamica because I have never seen their collaboration with the #266 before and it doesn't feature the light brown (almost Tan) leather that is commonly seen on their RED lineup. It also doesn't feature a Pad-Less shoulder strap that is also commonly seen on Nanamica Filson's that feature a shoulder strap. @GzStudio what say you?

Huh.jpg

Last edited:

woodsjw

Reaction score
Can anyone please explain what I am looking at here? It looks like a YKK Era #266 Sportsman in RED, but that could just be my eyes playing tricks on me...

Edit: I'm not positive it is Nanamica because I have never seen their collaboration with the #266 before and it doesn't feature the light brown (almost Tan) leather that is commonly seen on their RED lineup. It also doesn't feature a Pad-Less shoulder strap that is also commonly seen on Nanamica Filson's that feature a shoulder strap. @GzStudio what say you?

View attachment 1054106

My guess is that it was tan but some dyed it red.

GzStudio

Reaction score

View attachment 1054106

Not a collaboration that I know of. Appears to be dyed, or at very least, photo-shopped.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1054106
Interesting thought @woodsjw but I don’t think I agree. It’s so perfectly uniform, it appears to me to have been dyed before it was stitched, but who knows. I can say I like that color a lot better but than I would have guessed if asked before seeing it. It’s pretty nice looking! I know Filson has done sample colors before, such as grey, that never made it to production.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a collaboration that I know of. Appears to be dyed, or at very least, photo-shopped.
My guess is that it was tan but some dyed it red

That is possible. Since I can't find any else like it or the link for such a project to fully dye this particular Filson (haven't seen one before either), I am gonna also assume that it might be a collaboration or special release from Filson when the #266 was debuted. IMO I think it's way to perfect to be dyed, complete uniform color with zero fading or defects, even under the straps, which is always a telltale sign (as the patina process is delayed there). Too bad the link led to nowhere.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is possible. Since I can't find any else like it or the link for such a project to fully dye this particular Filson (haven't seen one before either), I am gonna also assume that it might be a collaboration or special release from Filson when the #266 was debuted. IMO I think it's way to perfect to be dyed, complete uniform color with zero fading or defects, even under the straps, which is always a telltale sign (as the patina process is delayed there). Too bad the link led to nowhere.
My guess is that was a prototype that was produced and taken home by a Filson employee - carried for a couple years, handed over to his brother-in-law and now being sold on eBay.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and it's just photoshop.

Looks too pure to have been dyed.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that was a prototype that was produced and taken home by a Filson employee - carried for a couple years, handed over to his brother-in-law and now being sold on eBay.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and it's just photoshop.

Looks too pure to have been dyed.

I agree. It does look quite used though. It appears to have lost its stiffness and the shoulder padding looks heavily worn too. I found it on the bottom of that Italian Flison Blog I shared several weeks ago.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured you would appreciate this @speedy611 since you also have a bicycle mounted Filson.

filson bike.jpg

woodsjw

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I’m nearly certain it was dyed using RIT dye. There’s a lot of folks in the GORUCK community that dye the lighter colored bags, especially sand and coyote, that have similar results. If done properly, the dye will set evenly across the twill and may darken the brown fabric that attaches the zippers making it appear almost black. Here’s a GR0 that was dyed a similar color.

D23C6C6F-1D92-42CF-B28A-D757E2912303.jpeg

Davey13

Reaction score
View attachment 1046584 View attachment 1046585 View attachment 1046586 View attachment 1046587
Those are gravers for engraving. I decided to try my hand at it a bit, it’s harder than it looks. Here are a couple of violin planes that are just amazing. As long as you keep them super sharp, it’s just amazing what they are capable of. They are actually cast from silicon bronze which is an alloy that is stronger than brass.

Oh man, I'm pretty sure I may have one of those violin planes from my grandfathers tool collection but I have to check. I collect so many darn old tools its kind of an obsession. I always wondered what it was for but I just figured it was for using in tight spaces. That makes total sense, a violin plane. Hmm.

And I wonder do you also do those inlays yourself? I know engraving can be a tricky thing. I for one, do not have the patience for it at all. You sure got some talent though, just beautiful clean work.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was trying to pack for a 5-day overseas trip but found the large travel bag too bulky. And the load with my bulky wool blazer and down jacket was too much for my Defy leather duffle. I loaded up the large carryon 242, and it fit snugly but comfortably.

The clam shell design is not my preferred one, but it does rule for packing clothes since it’s square and carries vertically (weight of top clothes do not crush clothes below).

Paired with the Filson nylon shoulder strap for heavier loads and it’s a nice relatively compact package that I can carry-on or check no problem. The straps and flap also offers protection against light fingers or heavy rain.

Any Filson Pullman users out there? Curious how they find the clamshell design in usage.
0A565848-3773-493B-902E-BDB6F8371D4F.jpeg

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
0FBA161B-AAAF-4993-A6EC-D740D94ADB7C.jpeg
E0D64958-EDEF-43BD-B6E1-65CDF7924ED8.jpeg
5C97A4AF-0233-4079-AF86-6A57A669039B.jpeg
C5A1452C-C855-423C-B40A-4EA7092889C4.jpeg
Oh man, I'm pretty sure I may have one of those violin planes from my grandfathers tool collection but I have to check. I collect so many darn old tools its kind of an obsession. I always wondered what it was for but I just figured it was for using in tight spaces. That makes total sense, a violin plane. Hmm.

And I wonder do you also do those inlays yourself? I know engraving can be a tricky thing. I for one, do not have the patience for it at all. You sure got some talent though, just beautiful clean work.
Yes, they are pretty special tools, violins have all kinds of concave, and convex contours. A radiused cutting edge (plane iron, gouge, scraper. The second image shows a bunch of custom scrapers I’ve made to match specific contours...) gets right in there and removes a lot of material fast! I did my first inlay in my early 20s I guess. Very nice that you have your grandfather’s tools!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads